Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:22:55 am

Author Topic: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC  (Read 73514 times)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #300 on: October 13, 2018, 07:47:37 pm »
Haven't posted here in AGES, so I'll give you guys an update.

So, I've graduated - as of Thursday, the 27th September. It came far, far too soon. It's honestly the most surreal experience - I still can't come to terms with the fact that I've left behind all the teachers that have, with their support, mentorship and expertise, helped me persevere through some of the hardest times of my life ever. I was especially saddened, that I wasn't able to have a proper conversation with my Year 11 English Advanced & Ext teacher (that I've mentioned on here multiple times) - one of the most influential figures in my life - before I graduated. She was absent from school on Wednesday, and so I was hoping she would appear at formal, but she wasn't there (which is fair enough  I suppose - considering she no longer takes any year 12 classes). For academically inclined students like me, I feel like graduating is so normalised that it's no longer an achievement, if that makes sense. All my teachers now, they obviously congratulate me, but at the same time, I know they expect it - because they've only really seen me at the best, which is, the results of my perseverance when I'm not in the school environment. The whole year, I spoke to my mentor about how stressed I was for this exam and that exam, and she would always reassure me, because I had already established a precedent of getting 90+ in every assessment for that subject. And it's tough to conceal the truth, that it's not just about the numbers. It's about never getting any fucking sleep, living on Centrelink payouts, worrying about overstaying my welcome at friends' houses, always being that friend that relies on the kindness of others, being the one addicted to x substance, constantly hustling to get by. It's about knowing that dropping out would make life so much less mentally exhausting, but not wanting to be a product of my own circumstances. Instead, wanting to persevere and revel in the joys of the present, even when it seemed at odds with the state of the world. It's so easy for people to judge, and especially trivialise, with their preconceived beliefs, when they haven't seen this hell. It's fucking hard. The amount of mental energy I've expended into the HSC to ensure I don't end up dead somehow, is insurmountable. To graduate without anyone there to watch, whilst my friends had grandmothers coming from the Blue Mountains to specifically cheer them on, is something that I've grown accustomed to over the years. And it sucks. But the whole time, I knew that this teacher was watching over me, that she would've been so proud of me for not only making it to graduation, but to have done so in the top 5 for all my subjects. I so badly wanted to just go up to her and be like "I FUCKING DID IT" AHAHA. I guess I'll just work my ass off to make it to the high achievers assembly, and do it then because I suppose, in a way, it's too early to tell right now. I'm so lucky to have had amazing people surround me in school, who, although were never conscious of this fact, always had my back. In such situations, you get to a point where you pretend to be happy, and ultimately trick yourself into thinking you really are. That was me in school, almost always. And I couldn't be more thankful for it. It's seriously a miracle that I made it out alive. God, I hate being vulnerable/sentimental like this, but since this will probably be one of the last ever posts on this journal before the four weeks of hell are upon us, I suppose I may as well be.

My overall internal ranks were;

English Advanced - 3/35
General Maths - 5/54
Legal Studies - 3/30
Economics - 3/18
Industrial Technology Multimedia - 1/18

So, overall, I'm in a decent position leading into the HSC. But omg. I have not been studying anywhere near as much I should be - I legit felt way more prepared for trials, which is not a good thing. Obviously, after trials, I was no longer as bound to my stringent study regimen as I used to be, so I let loose a bit lol - perhaps a bit too much, considering I haven't had a sober weekend since trials until today HAHAHA. Everyone's turning 18, so I mean, what can you do? ahaha. I'm pretty sure this has relegated my ATAR from a 95 ish to like 89 ahahaha but whatever, I'm not as fussed about it as I used to be. I just want these next 30 days to go by as fast as possible honestly. I've been doing atleast 5 hours study per day, which is okay, but I definitely am not being as productive as I want to be. I've done SOOO many practice essays for English so I feel prepared for that, but nothing else really ahahaha

Wishing everyone all the best in their studies! x

Hey girly!!

Nice to see you back on here! Already miss you loads (despite seeing you like 2 weeks ago) but just wanted to let you know if you ever wanna talk just message me x
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #301 on: October 13, 2018, 08:20:30 pm »
Hey girly!!

Nice to see you back on here! Already miss you loads (despite seeing you like 2 weeks ago) but just wanted to let you know if you ever wanna talk just message me x

Aw you too girl, I love you so much!! HAHAHA dude we have to catch up post HSC xxx
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #302 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:35 am »
+3
Omfg guys. I swear I have the worst luck. I bashed my elbow on the corner of the desk at the library real hard and it was painful af, but I thought it was only momentary. I woke up today and have the worst pain ever everytime I move my arm, holy moly. I tried to do a practice essay and you know how you have to kinda tense your hand to control your writing? Everytime I do that, the funny bone tinge shoots through my arm and it fucking hurts like a bitch. I hope this heals before Thursday, because omg I swear I'll going to die if it affects my timing. I legit just got my writing to be legible and speedy, why the f did this have to happen
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2018, 11:21:20 pm »
+4
So, an update.

English Advanced - I think it went okay, but the fact that I left a conclusion and half a paragraph out due to time restraints is eating away at my sanity. Also, in Mod A, I didn't read the instruction to use the stimulus as a "starting point" until after I had finished the essay - so hope they'll be a bit lenient with that, otherwise paper 2 was far better than I had anticipated. I literally emailed my teacher in a moment of panic and she said not finishing wouldn't cull me from a band 6 if everything else went well, so I'm clinging to that shred of hope - I originally wanted a 96 ah!! Rip to that. Hopefully a 94 is still within reach ahaha.

Legal's finally over, thank the lord. This was definitely one of the exams I was dreading the most, second to English paper 2, and it went reasonably well, barring the fact that I completely neglected the key term "between nation states" in my world order essay and a couple of multiple choice here and there. I definitely could've managed my time better because I caught myself just ruminating upon life on multiple occasions throughout the exam, particularly in the crime essay which I did last, and this obviously permeated my ability to form a cohesive argument as quickly as possible - which left me with just 5 minutes for my last paragraph. Thank god I got my act together and finished the essay in time - the last thing I wanted to happen was a non-finished attempt like paper 2 lmao - but it was completely illegible lmao. Although the broadness of the essay questions obviously was a good thing, I was a bit salty because I worked my ass off to do a practice essay on every single dot point of the syllabus - I legit did defences, post-sentencing considerations and jury the night before with comprehensive essays plans and all that - for basically no reason. Same with family. I was worried both options would be specific, so I did full refined, practice essays for every single topic from trials 'til HSC - only to find out that I probably could've stopped studying altogether for trials and have written the same thing lmao. I guess it was good for the peace of mind, but ugh it's mildly infuriating ahahah. I'm hoping for atleast a 94 ish.

I haven't done shit since the exam, have been online shopping way too much lol. Maths is on Thursday, which I'm not too concerned about because I feel like I don't have to be as time-conscious with it - which is usually my weakness so thank fuck. I've done quite a few papers, but I haven't touched it in a while since cramming for English and Legal, so I'm going to start brushing up on my knowledge tomorrow. After that, I legit have a 2 week gap until economics and multimedia. Most people in my social circle at school finish at business studies, so someone's throwing a party the Saturday night before economics, which I was initially contentious about going to in case it ruined my headspace for HSC lmao, but honestly I have SO much free time that I don't think it'll hurt lol. I'm literally already so excited for a night of no study lmao - I guess it'll kinda act as an incentive to manage my time better in the lead up to economics. One of guy friends is also having an 18th on the last day of HSC - the Friday before I go on a "schoolies" trips with my friends - so that's also something to look forward to. AHHHH.

Legit cannot wait for my 2 week gap after maths. I hate feeling the dread of having to sit the actual exam itself.

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #304 on: January 01, 2019, 04:38:27 pm »
+8
Hey everyone,

As the new year is upon us, I decided to close up this journal on a positive note. All I’ve been doing now is working, really - I got promoted to manager so my pay rate is insanely good now but the hours are horrible. I’m literally doing anywhere between 37-40 hour weeks. It’s definitely physically exhausting, but I’d much rather be productive in this way than be sitting at home doing nothing - I legit have not spent a whole day at home since the end of HSC. I’ve been working around my work schedule to catch up with my friends as well, so it’s been good to be busy basically 24/7 lmao - I’ve been seeing a lot of people from school but it’s difficult because everyone has their own thing going on now, you know? I went to a massive new years party last night, and it was so heartwarming to see all my friends from school in one place ahh. I got super smashed though, and ended up falling down a flight of stairs from the balcony, which has left me with gigantic bruises all over my inner thigh and butt. I literally can’t even fucking go to the toilet without squatting because any pressure on the wound fucking hurts like a bitch. Tbh I think I need to go on an alcohol cleanse lmao

In terms of the completion of HSC, I am beyond ecstatic with my results, although a tad disappointed I didn’t fulfil my initial goal of 97 ATAR wise. I ended up with 96.35 and the respective marks -

Subject - Overall Mark (External/Internal)
English Advanced - 96 (97, 95)
Maths - 87 (84, 89)
Legal - 94 (92, 96)
Economics - 89 (93, 85)
Industrial Technology - 94 (92, 97)

My English mark honestly blew me away, I got 97 externally which was shocking because I legit thought I bombed the exam lmao. Kinda makes me wish I hadn’t dropped English Ext, because my horrible maths marks wouldn’t have dragged my ATAR down so much. I’ve had students in the year below asking me to tutor them in Eng Adv which I think is an incredible opportunity but I literally don’t have the time ahh. Everything else was more or less what I was predicting. Was a bit bummed that I got 89 for eco, I got 93 as my external mark but my internal rank pulled me down significantly smh

I got into my first preference of B Commerce/B Laws at UNSW, which was such a surprise with an ATAR of merely 96 but I guess my LAT score saved me here. I’m a bit devo because heaps of my friends are going to USYD, but I doubt we’d really be seeing eachother on campus much anyway so it’s not a big deal I guess. I’m probably going to take up this offer tbh because law is an absolute dream for me. I’m still waiting for an offer of B Politics & Intl Relations at USYD (which I should get into since the cut off for guaranteed entry is 95, but I also know spots are limited so idk if I’ll even get one) in the second round, but I most likely won’t  consider it. I haven’t enrolled into UNSW yet because dang the process is so daunting! Like I keep putting it off because I need some fucking guidance lmao, which probs isn’t ideal since classes are filling up fast but whatever lmao

So, that’s it! Hope y’all have enjoyed reading this journal, and wishing the incoming year 12s all the best!! Remember, work hard but by no means do you have to give up your entire life for the HSC - I was working 20-30 hours/week during HSC, got hammered legit every weekend after trials up to the second week of HSC and still managed to comfortably get a 95+ ATAR. If you haven’t adopted a good study routine by now, it’s not too late at all!! At this point in time, I legit got asked by the Eng faculty to drop to Standard English from Advanced because my year 11 marks were so mediocre compared to the rest of the cohort (I remember being super embarrassed cos I was also an extension student at this time considering 4u lmao). In the end I got the school’s highest exam mark of 97 in English Advanced. It is pretty insane to look back on now - you seriously never know what you’re capable of until you really try. I know I put blood, sweat and tears into all those evil practice essays I did to get my goal of 96 in English and it was fucking worth it. It’s even crazier to read my first ever journal post here in 2017, when I was a tiny year 11, where I lamented the sheer impossibility to attain the 95 atar required for politics/intl relations, needless to for law. Well, I ultimately got into both. Honestly it’s all about time management, and how effectively you prioritise and use your time. Surround yourself with likeminded people. Balance is key.

I’m definitely not as active here anymore compared to the good old days, but I do pop on occasionally to see how everyone is. If anyone needs any help (particularly for English, Legal, Eco), feel free to message me on Facebook (name is Julie Xie) - I’d be more than happy to lend a hand! Xx

Love,
Lumenoria
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:48:22 pm by Lumenoria »