Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:28:56 pm

Author Topic: Work Experience in Year 11?  (Read 3437 times)  Share 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Work Experience in Year 11?
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:40:41 pm »
Hey,

As deadlines are approaching for work experience applications for hospitals (I want to get into Medicine), I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to try to get more Work Exp. for next year. For context, I have completed a week of work exp. in another hospital this year and was wondering how much more insightful having another week at a different hospital would be.

Basically:
1. If I've already done a week of work exp in another hospital, would it actually benefit me to get more exp in other hospitals (if I get in, although they are really competitive)?
2. How common is it for a Year 11 student to do Work Exp?
3. If I do get a Work Exp. placement at a different hospital, how likely is it that it's going to be during the School Holidays?
4. If I did get the Work Exp. and it was during the school term, how much would I be impacted by this, given that I'm doing a 3/4 LOTE next year (which I want to do quite well in)?

I'd really appreciate anyone's insight on this!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:42:20 pm by Snow Leopard »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Work Experience in Year 11?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:44:34 pm »
+2
Do you know if you'd be doing different things at the hospitals you're looking at doing work experience at? If so maybe it's worth doing more work experience if you want to, but it's not going to increase your chances of getting into medicine.
If you're just going to be doing the same stuff then it's probably not super worth doing it. Broadly speaking hospitals don't differ that much from one another. There are differences in paperwork and such but there's no big difference in the way patients are treated, and as far as I know you don't get that much exposure to patients on work experience because of confidentiality reasons.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:15:00 pm »
I'm thinking of applying to two different hospitals (one's 32 mins from where I live by car, the other is 26 mins away again by car, although that might differ cos of traffic etc).

Hospital 1 I'm thinking of applying in has a variety of departments although on their website it says that not all departments are able to offer placements and not all weeks are available.

Hospital 2 doesn't specify what departments but they do say that last year they offered work exp. in: Neurology, Immunology, Pathology, People & Culture, Allied Health.

From this info, do you think it's worth applying?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:51:33 pm by Snow Leopard »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:18:07 pm »
+3
From this info, I'd say the work experience you did is pretty standard and you're not gonna really get anything really new/different and super exciting in other places.
Work experience is just as a taster of what things are like. IMO you'd get more out of volunteering at a hospital or something along those lines if you really wanted to experience the environment a bit more.

From this info I don't think it's really worth it - particularly if you're missing out on a chunk of school to do it - but again, it's entirely up to you.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 06:42:02 pm »
From this info, I'd say the work experience you did is pretty standard and you're not gonna really get anything really new/different and super exciting in other places.
Work experience is just as a taster of what things are like. IMO you'd get more out of volunteering at a hospital or something along those lines if you really wanted to experience the environment a bit more.

From this info I don't think it's really worth it - particularly if you're missing out on a chunk of school to do it - but again, it's entirely up to you.
Thanks for all your advice K888!After careful consideration, I think I'm not gonna apply for next year.

In terms of volunteering, do you know how I could get involved in that?
(Sorry for all the questions)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:35:10 pm by Snow Leopard »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:04 pm »
+3
Thanks for all your advice K888!After careful consideration, I think I'm not gonna apply for next year.

In terms of volunteering, do you know how I could get involved in that?
(Sorry for all the questions)
Sorry, somehow missed this!

If you want to volunteer at a hospital, just go on their website and follow the links to info about volunteering :) they should have plenty of info about how you get involved! If you have any questions they should have contact details for their volunteer services so you can get in touch.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 04:48:30 pm »
+1
Sorry, somehow missed this!

If you want to volunteer at a hospital, just go on their website and follow the links to info about volunteering :) they should have plenty of info about how you get involved! If you have any questions they should have contact details for their volunteer services so you can get in touch.
Thanks so much for all your help, K888 :)