Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:05:16 am

Poll

Which Part-time job? (cause I'm incredibly indecisive)

Huxtaburger
6 (46.2%)
Grill'd
2 (15.4%)
Maccas
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 02, 2019, 03:54:01 pm

Author Topic: Which Part-Time Job?  (Read 6665 times)  Share 

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
Re: Which Part-Time Job?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 06:37:54 am »
Quote from: scientificllama
I am looking for a job I can do until I finish year 12. Do you recommend maccas as a somewhat decent job to do for 2+ years? (that's a weird question  )
IMO no, Maccas is better as a ‘starting’ job for you to get some experience so that you can quickly and more easily transition to other jobs that require more skill and is more relevant to what you want to do in the future. I don’t think you’d want to stay there for too long though.

Are you sure you only want ONE job until the end of year 12? You’d be far better of gathering a variety of experience from all sorts of jobs to be better equipped with more skills for when you start looking for work relevant to what you want to do.

I’d suggest working in both fast food and retail at the very least, equips you with a lot of skills that employers look for when you want a job more relevant to what you want to do as a career. Having both fast food and retail is very beneficial for your resume, I think retail would be better than fast food but it’s also harder to get in without experience. So I think you should think twice about working at one store until graduation, particularly if it’s a fast food chain.

It’s tempting because after a few months you get comfortable in your current position but as Milanander said above, you shouldn’t be making your decisions based on what makes life easiest for you, especially not now.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 06:58:57 am »
+1
Are you sure you only want ONE job until the end of year 12? You’d be far better of gathering a variety of experience from all sorts of jobs to be better equipped with more skills for when you start looking for work relevant to what you want to do.
It’s also important to show future employers that you won’t just quit after a few months. Don’t aim to stick with a job for less than a year at least.

Remy is right that getting retail experience will be useful. Training as a lifeguard or swim teacher if you like water is also a decent job - the pay is good and because there’s a bit of training involved it’ll be easier for you to get a subsequent job in the same area over someone with no experience.

Also worth noting that volunteering can replace work experience - for example you could volunteer at an op shop once a week and that would give you a similar experience to working in retail with less time commitment.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 09:47:57 pm »
+3
UPDATE:

I have withdrawn from the Mcdonald's near Flinder's street. Both the restaurant itself and the locations isn't the right place for me. Especially with it being quite dangerous during my availability. However, in the future, I'm more than happy to work at maccas but somewhere that is close to home.
Now, this results to choosing between Grill'd and Huxtaburger. At the moment, Huxtaburger seems like the perfect place and it is the busiest restaurant out of its franchise. Does anyone know if you complete a certificate 3 in something that you can't do another certificate 3? (heard it from somewhere)

Also, huge shoutout to everyone who contributed! Especially GodNifty, PhoenixxFire and Remy33

It’s also important to show future employers that you won’t just quit after a few months. Don’t aim to stick with a job for less than a year at least.
Also worth noting that volunteering can replace work experience - for example you could volunteer at an op shop once a week and that would give you a similar experience to working in retail with less time commitment.

Compelty agree with the idea of not quitting after a few months. Which is a reason for wanting to work at a place for more than a year as moving jobs so often is both difficult (settling into new environments) and makes it seem an employee is not committed. I have had experience at an Op Shop which was incredibly helpful to my resume and some work experience places  :) Thanks for the advice though!

Quite sure that I want one or possibly two jobs until the end of year 12. It's quite difficult to find work near both school and home.

I’d suggest working in both fast food and retail at the very least, equips you with a lot of skills that employers look for when you want a job more relevant to what you want to do as a career. Having both fast food and retail is very beneficial for your resume, I think retail would be better than fast food but it’s also harder to get in without experience. So I think you should think twice about working at one store until graduation, particularly if it’s a fast food chain.

Completely agree with this. One job for 3 years isn't the most helpful in terms of skill but I do have a bit of retail experience as mentioned before. It's really difficult to find a retail job though (like actually getting the job).

It’s tempting because after a few months you get comfortable in your current position but as Milanander said above, you shouldn’t be making your decisions based on what makes life easiest for you, especially not now.

It's super tempting to stay at one place once comfortable. However, considering that I'm chronically ill and that school is far from home, I need to find a place that is somewhat easy to get to and doesn't counterbalance school. This also really changed my outlook on the job offers.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:57:10 pm by scientificllama »
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D