Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:25:16 am

Author Topic: Subjects don't line up with desired job  (Read 530 times)  Share 

LessThan 30

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Subjects don't line up with desired job
« on: April 07, 2020, 02:24:11 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm a year 11 student in 2020, and the subjects I have selected don't really line up with my desired job. My subjects are:
Methods 1&2
English 1&2
Italian 1&2
Chemistry 1&2
(Dropped spesh after attempting for first few weeks) Further 1&2
Media 3&4
In these past months, I have found a big interest in business and politics, considering them as possible courses to pursue. My other passion is probably film, in which I am doing Media studies. I am worried that I will not be able to pursue politics/business, as none of my classes covers them. I would consider dropping further maths, which I swapped for spesh earlier in the year when I found it simply too hard, but feel like that'd be impossible as I'd be a term behind. Any advice on the situation?
Thanks

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: Subjects don't line up with desired job
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 02:59:05 pm »
+5
Hi Everyone,
I'm a year 11 student in 2020, and the subjects I have selected don't really line up with my desired job. My subjects are:
Methods 1&2
English 1&2
Italian 1&2
Chemistry 1&2
(Dropped spesh after attempting for first few weeks) Further 1&2
Media 3&4
In these past months, I have found a big interest in business and politics, considering them as possible courses to pursue. My other passion is probably film, in which I am doing Media studies. I am worried that I will not be able to pursue politics/business, as none of my classes covers them. I would consider dropping further maths, which I swapped for spesh earlier in the year when I found it simply too hard, but feel like that'd be impossible as I'd be a term behind. Any advice on the situation?
Thanks

From my understanding

1. You will be able to pursue politics/business as those courses generally don't have any prerequisites. Usually, business/commerce courses only have methods+english as prerequisites which you are already doing, and politics is associated with an arts degree which doesn't have any prerequisites except English.

2. You're only in year 11 so you should switch to global politics/business management whenever you have the opportunity. Although most schools only allow students to switch between subjects in the break between unit 1 and 2. So after term two apply to change subjects if you still wish to do so.

3. If you can't switch to business management or global politics this year, don't stress. You can undertake units 3/4 for either subject in year 12, you may just need to catch up on a few things but I'm pretty sure content from year 11 and 12 is very different. I'd recommend reading the study design for both subjects as well which can be found on the VCAA website.
Link:     https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/HomePage.aspx
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:49:43 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University