Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:35:00 pm

Author Topic: Do I drop or keep Music  (Read 783 times)  Share 

bianca.jenkins

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Do I drop or keep Music
« on: February 27, 2019, 01:26:12 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am confused whether to drop or keep Music for my HSC. For Music I play the tenor saxophone, and am coming 2nd in my class. I chose music in the first place because I thought it would be a break from my harder subjects but looking ahead it seems like it is going to be a lot of work and a lot of money. My saxophone is not in the greatest condition (school hired) and needs a new mouth piece, and some keys fixed. I also have a saxophone tutor to help me with my performances but he is really expensive ($37/half hr).
I currently do Chemistry, Biology, Standard English, Maths EXT 1, Maths EXT 2 and Music.
I'm doing pretty good in all my subjects, except EXT 2. I really like the challenge of EXT 2, but I'm currently coming 5th out of 6 people (My last test score was 45% for complex numbers). If I drop music I would have extra free periods to do EXT 2 and some of the harder subjects.
After school I would like to study Vet Science (hopefully at USYD), so music isn't even helpful for what I want to do.

If you could please give me some advice, that would be amazing

Thankyou,
Bianca

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Do I drop or keep Music
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 02:29:57 pm »
+3
Welcome to the forums Bianca!! ;D

This definitely sounds like a tricky situation - I think the most important thing to ask yourself is something you haven't mentioned, are you enjoying/getting fulfilment from doing Music?? If you are, then it could be worth keeping (though certainly the financial burden makes it harder). If you aren't, then I'd be dropping it real quick!

Here is another guide which could be worth reading: https://atarnotes.com/drop-a-subject/

If you do stay, you don't need to invest all of your time and energy into it! I took Music for a similar reason and similarly considered dropping it, but in the end I decided to keep it and really just focus on enjoying it. Cut back on my lessons, really didn't stress about aiming for perfection. Was just there because I got fulfilment from it (and focusing on the enjoyment usually means you'll do better anyway ;)).

Good luck, whatever you choose!! Certainly, you'll be totally fine either way - You won't need the knowledge for uni and it is unlikely Music will count towards your ATAR if everything is going well in the other subjects (though a safety net is always nice!), so it is really whether you enjoy it or not ;D