Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:19 pm

Author Topic: The life of a perfectionist (others may call her a nerd)  (Read 2036 times)

fkeywood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
+9
I thought it would be cool to do a journal so I can look back and hopefully see some positive progress. So......about halfway through Year 11 now and I have to say I think I'm going well. As long as I keep up with the constant homework and assignments that are being added to the longer and longer lists of things to do.

I'm currently doing the following subjects but have plans to drop Geography at the start of Year 12:
Mathematics Advanced and Extension 1
English Advanced
Biology
Chemistry
Studies of Religion (compulsory unfortunately)
Geography

I just completed by second Chemistry task today which was an in class exam on concentrations. Overall I think I went okay....but I made a very stupid mistake and I realised right before I handed it to my teacher. Sometimes I hate my brain lol. I have my Math Extension 1 exam in two weeks that I desperately need to study for because I'm not enjoying further trigonometric identities.

Anyways next time I hope I have something good to mention (like decent marks in my Chem)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:22:58 am by fkeywood »

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
Re: My HSC Journey
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:41:45 pm »
+3
I thought it would be cool to do a journal so I can look back and hopefully see some positive progress. So......about halfway through Year 11 now and I have to say I think I'm going well. As long as I keep up with the constant homework and assignments that are being added to the longer and longer lists of things to do.

I'm currently doing the following subjects but have plans to drop Geography at the start of Year 12:
Mathematics Advanced and Extension 1
English Advanced
Biology
Chemistry
Studies of Religion (compulsory unfortunately)
Geography

I just completed by second Chemistry task today which was an in class exam on concentrations. Overall I think I went okay....but I made a very stupid mistake and I realised right before I handed it to my teacher. Sometimes I hate my brain lol. I have my Math Extension 1 exam in two weeks that I desperately need to study for because I'm not enjoying further trigonometric identities.

Anyways next time I hope I have something good to mention (like decent marks in my Chem)

sounds good! can't wait to see your further entries ;)
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:59 pm »
+3
Hello and welcome!!

I really feel the brain fart thing lol. I always think of things I could add/change after something is submitted! How annoying hahaha

Can’t wait to read more!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:16:55 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:08:47 pm »
+5
Omg HSC journey journal twins ! Starting on the same day woooooo

So pumped for your future posts and I am sure you'll pull out a solid mark in Chem. Tbh I think you should give yourself credit for realising your error literally I could get my results back and have my friends explain why I got something wrong and still not get it so props to you.

Also major respect for doing chem wow I admire people who do that subject because from what I've heard it's hard!

Excited to see your next post!
-Gracie
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

fkeywood

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:39:13 am »
+3
Omg HSC journey journal twins ! Starting on the same day woooooo

So pumped for your future posts and I am sure you'll pull out a solid mark in Chem. Tbh I think you should give yourself credit for realising your error literally I could get my results back and have my friends explain why I got something wrong and still not get it so props to you.

Also major respect for doing chem wow I admire people who do that subject because from what I've heard it's hard!

Excited to see your next post!
-Gracie

Thanks! Chem is actually my favourite subject at the moment, as controversial as it may seem 😂
I honestly think some of the hardest subjects are languages and I even just struggle with English in general. Hence why English is my least loved subject 😅

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:37:22 am »
+2
Thanks! Chem is actually my favourite subject at the moment, as controversial as it may seem 😂
I honestly think some of the hardest subjects are languages and I even just struggle with English in general. Hence why English is my least loved subject 😅

If you had to rank your subjects from favourite to least favourite at the moment, how would they look? I reckon I did this every month or so through Year 11 and Year 12. Makes for pretty interesting reading looking back haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

fkeywood

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:47:19 am »
+2
If you had to rank your subjects from favourite to least favourite at the moment, how would they look? I reckon I did this every month or so through Year 11 and Year 12. Makes for pretty interesting reading looking back haha.

Probably at the moment:
1. Chem
2. Bio
3. Math Advanced and Extension
4. Geography
5. Studies of Religion
6. English Advanced

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 06:54:22 pm »
hello!! Excited for this journal! And please give me some words of wisdom re chem. How to enjoy it and do well in it? But just like HOW do I actually find it interesting and study most effectively for it? No doubt you'll have some pretty decent marks for chem by the sounds of it!

fkeywood

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »
hello!! Excited for this journal! And please give me some words of wisdom re chem. How to enjoy it and do well in it? But just like HOW do I actually find it interesting and study most effectively for it? No doubt you'll have some pretty decent marks for chem by the sounds of it!

I think the major reason why people don't enjoy chemistry is the idea that it's a challenging and icky subject, if that makes sense at all. It's this mentality that will ruin your experience with Chemistry. Of course chemistry is not an easy subject by all means, but if you think that you will most likely feel like you're struggling in Chemistry. Go in with the mentality that it's an interesting subject despite what other people are telling you.
It's worth going ahead of the class in concepts I used Khan Academy for this.
Also general tip for Chemistry: memorise your polyatomic ions and all the chemical reactions that are mentioned in the syllabus.

Chemistry in its core is all practice practice practice. I would invest in some sort of resource with only questions; Cambridge Checkpoints is a great resource.

Chemistry is an enjoyable subject if you are prepared, organised and have a clear idea of where you are headed (syllabus) and you are regularly applying your knowledge.

fkeywood

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 10:14:49 am »
+6
So a little update....
No chemistry results but I have my exam for extension maths this coming Tuesday. I've not been looking forward to it and planning to do a whole day of study today if I don't get distracted haha.
With just my luck though I was playing netball yesterday and fell over quite badly. I hit my head smack bang on the concrete and for all I know I might have a concussion (had a headache but not other symptoms so far). Now I have to turn up to school with a big sore on my head and an exam to do. I just hope that nothing is messed up in my head now and I can actually answer the questions.

Either way, I'm going to tell my teacher if I do something really stupid it is probably because my head is kinda demented at the moment, literally.

On another note, I received my advanced mathematics assignment at the start of this week. The teacher who wrote it put a whole section of 'real-life' trigonometry into it. Now I spent two nights trying to figure out one question where he asked us to show that a bearing was 160 degrees and 15 minutes. I was like what the hell is this teacher going on about because I was pretty sure the bearing was more around 211 degrees which are way off his answer.
I was stuck because how am I supposed to address this. It's an assignment I can't just go challenge the teacher. I asked my teacher initially and she thought it was hilarious that I was struggling with the assignment and here comes the teacher who wrote it looking all smug into my classroom. Little did he know that I was only struggling because I can't prove that something is right if it's wrong. 
In the end, I sent him an email explaining my working out. Turns out I was right and the assignment had to be changed. Honestly, three other teachers completed the assignment so I'm very surprised none of them picked up on his mistake. And he wasn't looking so smug anymore.
Victory!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: The life of a perfectionist (others may call her a nerd)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
How are you travelling fkeywood?