Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:08:58 am

Author Topic: Help! {Exam Questions)  (Read 7491 times)  Share 

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Help! {Exam Questions)
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »
1)Students at ... School always close their books when they hear notices coming over the loud speaker, even where there has been no end of lesson bell. In this scenario, the UCS is ...
A) notices coming over the loud speaker
B) end of period bell
C) other students closing their books
D) the startle response

2)What is the most effective schedule of reinforcement?
A) V.I
B) F.I
C) V.R
D) F.R

3)Which statement is least true about punishment?
A) It is considered least effective of all methods of reinforcement
B) It can be administered some time after the crime and still be highly effective
C) It is usually physical but can be psychological
D) It is always unpleasant

4)Which type of LTM can still be created when someone is suffering from anterograde amnesia?

5)Bandura stressed the importance of the model in observational learning. Explain three features of a model that may make it likely to be imitated.

6)Although the rate of extinction of some behaviours may vary in Classical Conditioning, psychologists acknowledge that
A) simple behaviours take longer to extinguish than complex behaviours
B) complex behaviours take longer to extinguish than simple behaviours
C) behaviours that have taken longer to acquire will take longer to extinguish
D) behaviours that were quickly acquired will take longer to extinguish.

7)Bandura coined the phrase _________ to describe the mental picture that individuals form when they observe a model's behaviour.
A) acquisition
B) cognitive representation
C) schema
D) behavioural concept

If you could help me on these questions than THANK YOU. Most dodgiest paper I have done thus far.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
Re: Help! {Exam Questions)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:00:10 pm »
1. I assume B. it definitely cannot be A as that is the CR, and it would be the only logical candidate for the UCS as what else would make all students pack up?

2. there's been great debate on this. I think variable interval is the most resistant, but I can't justify it with an example so i'd go VR

3. A? I believe it is because it's not reinforcement it's a consequence like reinforcement is, but punishment is in a division of its own

4. Semantic is the most logical choice, episodic obviously wouldn't be formed and procedural memories would definitely require processing and learning. This is more an assumption, but going with the most logical answer will sometimes pay off

5. The model has positive traits (e.g. attractiveness)
    the behaviour results in some sort of benefit for the observer
    -sorry can't think of another

6. i've read B from my psychology textbook (grivas)

7. B for sure. cognitive representations are definitely mentioned in the grivas textbook and the wording of that question is perfectly alligned with what cognitive representations are
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:03:59 pm »
Q1. B.
Q2. D.
Q3. B. If punishment comes a long time after the behaviour, then the two probably won't be associated by the learner.
Q4. Procedural memories can still form. Declarative ones can't. (I'm not actually 100% sure on this)
Q5. Model is similar to learner, model has a high status (e.g. a celebrity), model is liked by learner.
Q7. is completely irrelevant, useless, DOES IT EVEN GO HERE?, needs to die in a fire etc.

What? I have never heard of cognitive representations. Ugh, not having Grivas makes everything so much harder.

I thought question 2 was referring to how quick behavior can be acquired?
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm an art student at heart, can't you tell?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 11:04:59 pm »
1. I'd say D as the others would all have to be conditioned responses (not a great q though)

2. Horrible Q. It would depend on what stage of learning the person was at...
Though as a general rule i'd say... D

3. Horrible Q? I'd say C

4. I'd guess procedural memories can still be created? can't say i've come across anything like that before though.

5.This is actually a proper question. You need to learn a few point on these. They're things like relevance to the learner (ie. if the model were of the same age or appeared hip and cool)
Interest of the learner (ie. if the model was showing something like a sport that the learner cared about)
If the model is obscure or out of the ordinary (more likely to be interested and pay attention)
there's many more, not sure if there's specific guidelines but basically think what would make you pay attention to someone, write that. aha

6. I'd say C as if we look at the forgetting curve the longer period of time with which information is learnt, the slower the rate of forgetting. Once again a pretty irrelevant question but i'd assume it's a trick getting you to incorporate other knowledge...

7...can't help you.
i'd guess...D...but...whatthehell?

what paper is this? they're really irrelevant and different to vcaa.
2010: Chem, Lit, Bio, Psych and Further.
201_: Postgraduate Medicine...

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:05:28 pm »
^ Never heard of cognitive representations, you do NOT have to know that..
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:09:43 pm »
as if you don't.... it's mentioned clearly in the grivas textbook. it fits in with bandura's theory about how a behaviour can be acquisitioned without it having been performed.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:12:34 pm »

6. i've read B from my psychology textbook (grivas)

7. B for sure. cognitive representations are definitely mentioned in the grivas textbook and the wording of that question is perfectly alligned with what cognitive representations are

would you be able to provide us with the pages on which you read the info?? for Q 6 and 7...

in regards to Q3.. i hate those Qs that ask "least true"
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 11:17:53 pm »
vcaa psych will avoid any least true questions... or worst case scenario make them much more obvious ie
"which is least true about punishment"
A) it's involved in operational conditioning
B) it's administered after the behaviour
C) it aims to decrease an unwanted response
D) it's a super great happy fun time reward.

and i've never seen cognitive representations. and really the exams only ever ask about what the conclusions of bandura's experiments were...

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 11:19:02 pm »
as if you don't.... it's mentioned clearly in the grivas textbook. it fits in with bandura's theory about how a behaviour can be acquisitioned without it having been performed.

It's not mentioned anywhere else, though?

Which prac exam is this?
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 11:20:12 pm »
1)A I chose B, I guess it's just the question that is wrong.
2)C someone please explain, I don't really get this.
3)C No idea why, extremely dodgy
4)Procedural, but WTF. If you have anterograde, you will forget the procedure to perform procedural memory. EXPLAIN.
5)Thank you all. Solved
6)B No idea why, extremely dodgy
7)B I chose D, I mean B sounds right. Now i think about it, D might be better

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »
question 6: Pg. 441, Final Paragraph

Cognitive Representation (Grivas Definition): a mental representation, or picture, of an observed response that is formed by the observer
Read more about Cognitive Representations on Pg. 497 - Read from "Clearly the boys and girls had learned something from observing....." until "...... previously demonstrated this knowledge through performance"

Remember guys and gals, textbooks have glossaries and index's, check them first :)
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:10 pm »
the variable ratio schedule has the example of gambling, and it's difficult to extinguish. both VR and VI are difficult to acquire and extinguish. until VCAA answers this, the debate will continue. lets hope examiners see these posts and recognise that we're all confused and show us mercy

their choice for question 3 is bollocks, I disagree.

question 4 is again dodgy, technically no long term memories should be formed when a person has anterograde amnesia

question 6. no it's not dodgy, i'll type out the passage in the textbook if you like?

question 7. cognitive representations are mentioned in the textbook (mine at least) while 'behavioural concepts' i've never heard of. I tend to avoid things I haven't heard of in the course, they're most likely incorrect
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 11:27:26 pm »
Maybe it's just the wording of question 6 that I don't understand

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:27 pm »
Q1. B.
Q2. D.
Q3. B. If punishment comes a long time after the behaviour, then the two probably won't be associated by the learner.
Q4. Procedural memories can still form. Declarative ones can't. (I'm not actually 100% sure on this)
Q5. Model is similar to learner, model has a high status (e.g. a celebrity), model is liked by learner.
Q7. is completely irrelevant, useless, DOES IT EVEN GO HERE?, needs to die in a fire etc.

What? I have never heard of cognitive representations. Ugh, not having Grivas makes everything so much harder.

I thought question 2 was referring to how quick behavior can be acquired?
I actually agree with all of these answers, including your answer for 7.
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:49 pm »
which paper was this?