Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:51 am

Author Topic: AA Club - Week 2  (Read 6367 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
AA Club - Week 2
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:45:04 pm »
+4
WEEK 2

The excerpt recording and exam-style response sheet are available right here!

Question (8 Marks)

An excerpt (1 minute 30 seconds) from Eucalyptus performed by The Presets, will be played five times, for you to answer the question.

First Playing - Short Pause
Second Playing - 30 Second Pause
Third Playing - 1 Minute Pause
Fourth Playing - 2 Minute Pause
Fifth Playing - 2 Minute Pause

Explain how duration and tone colour are used in this excerpt.

Post any responses you have below, be it a proper response under exam conditions or just a handful of things you think would be included in an answer! Give feedback to other people, build on each others answers, and I'll be sure to give feedback as well ;D

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:52:40 pm by jamonwindeyer »

liamwindeyer

• Adventurer
  • Jamon's Brother
  • Respect: +6
Re: AA Club - Week 2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:36:58 pm »
+4
Damn, the Presets take me back  ;D

Anyway, I'll just list the topic points like I did last time, cus lazy etc. etc.
1. Constant vivace tempo - Unity
2. Constant quaver rhythmic motif - Unity
3. Constant strong, definite beat (accented downbeats from the drum machine) - Unity
4. Electronic/synthesized instruments provide accompaniment to the acoustic(?) vocal melodies - Contrast
5. There is a tiiiiiiiiinnny bit of syncopation in that motif in the first and second verses - Interest
6. After each verse, there is a rhythmic unison created between the sub-bass and the added higher-pitched synthesizer - Interest
7. Rhythms of the vocal melodies slightly vary the rhythmic motif (adding rests and elongating notes), also adding some rubato at the end of lines for the lulz - Interest
8. That bridge thingy-ma-jig involves the sub-bass playing static contours (with the same motif) whilst a synth-pad provides long drones - Unity / Interest / Contrast
9. Vocal melodies in the bridge thingy also uses longer note values (semibreves and what-have-you) - Contrast / Interest

Now just pretend again I have used obligatory graphic notation and eloquent, concise wording
(Also pretend I mentioned metre, as I have not and am a fool)
(Aaaand also pretend I mentioned tone colour a bit more, k thx  ;D)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:16:57 am »
+3

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:45:38 pm »
+2

Here’s mineee :)
I’m so bad at aural nowwwww.
Is it alright if you could a mark as well with the feedback ?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:21:56 am »
+2
I've not forgotten you guys! Just been crazy busy over the weekend - Will mark these for you asap ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »
All good, Jamon ! :) Not in any rushhh
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:35:26 pm »
I've not forgotten you guys! Just been crazy busy over the weekend - Will mark these for you asap ;D

Wait will this count as part of the 50 posts for marking?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »
Wait will this count as part of the 50 posts for marking?

Nah definitely not - This doesn't take anywhere near as long so doesn't need to be 'paid' for ;)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:35:49 pm »
Nah definitely not - This doesn't take anywhere near as long so doesn't need to be 'paid' for ;)

Ok great thanks!
I have a bit of a trivial question, but since the music exam is same day as english and I'm not going to be wanting to do practise questions right before i go in because I don't think that will be of benefit to me, what do you think is the best way to revise last minute but in a way that is effective and not just reading over past responses? If you're not sure then don't worry but in trials I know that I waisted my time between the exams and perhaps doing something would've made me feel a little more confident.

Thank you:)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 05:44:27 pm »
+3
Ok great thanks!
I have a bit of a trivial question, but since the music exam is same day as english and I'm not going to be wanting to do practise questions right before i go in because I don't think that will be of benefit to me, what do you think is the best way to revise last minute but in a way that is effective and not just reading over past responses? If you're not sure then don't worry but in trials I know that I waisted my time between the exams and perhaps doing something would've made me feel a little more confident.

Thank you:)

I reckon just listen to some music! Pick stuff you like, listen out for what you can hear, just do the aural analysis in your head in a really chilled way ;D

caitlinlddouglas

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
+1
Hey here is my response , I'm not too good at notating rhythms though- any tips?
Thanks heaps!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »
+3
Damn, the Presets take me back  ;D

Anyway, I'll just list the topic points like I did last time, cus lazy etc. etc.
1. Constant vivace tempo - Unity
2. Constant quaver rhythmic motif - Unity
3. Constant strong, definite beat (accented downbeats from the drum machine) - Unity
4. Electronic/synthesized instruments provide accompaniment to the acoustic(?) vocal melodies - Contrast
5. There is a tiiiiiiiiinnny bit of syncopation in that motif in the first and second verses - Interest
6. After each verse, there is a rhythmic unison created between the sub-bass and the added higher-pitched synthesizer - Interest
7. Rhythms of the vocal melodies slightly vary the rhythmic motif (adding rests and elongating notes), also adding some rubato at the end of lines for the lulz - Interest
8. That bridge thingy-ma-jig involves the sub-bass playing static contours (with the same motif) whilst a synth-pad provides long drones - Unity / Interest / Contrast
9. Vocal melodies in the bridge thingy also uses longer note values (semibreves and what-have-you) - Contrast / Interest

Now just pretend again I have used obligatory graphic notation and eloquent, concise wording
(Also pretend I mentioned metre, as I have not and am a fool)
(Aaaand also pretend I mentioned tone colour a bit more, k thx  ;D)

Hey Liam - Yep, you've definitely mentioned all the right things here. You are right, would like to see more mention of tone colour - The balance should be 50/50 or as close to it as possible (you'd want to sway more in the direction of duration for this question, probably, since there is a lot to discuss). And yes, adding rhythmic notations and discussions of metre would be my two biggest suggestions in terms of addressing duration more directly ;D

Essentially, take these ideas and put them into an actual response and you'd be sitting very pretty ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »
+4
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey Georgia!

- Excellent job setting up the tempo and metre early on - Easy points!
- Love that you've notated a few rhythms - That ostinato you notated first is actually just quavers, but you still get points. The second quaver is hard to hear because the one on the beat is heavily accented
- Ensure your observations are organised as much as possible - You shouldn't be discussing the tone colour in Verse 1, in the Intro section!
- Modulation isn't the term for tempo, you want accelerando or ritardando (modulation is for key!)
- Your discussion of tone colour in verses is too sparse, but it is fantastic in the Chorus (what you called Verse 3). Try and discuss a bit of duration in Verse 3 as well, and a bit more tone colour in the verses. Overall though, good job achieving the balance!

Overall, really good response Georgia! Take a look at some of the other responses to see what you might have missed, but I think you've done a great job! :)

The synth hurt my ears too ;)

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »
Hey Georgia!

- Excellent job setting up the tempo and metre early on - Easy points!
- Love that you've notated a few rhythms - That ostinato you notated first is actually just quavers, but you still get points. The second quaver is hard to hear because the one on the beat is heavily accented
- Ensure your observations are organised as much as possible - You shouldn't be discussing the tone colour in Verse 1, in the Intro section!
- Modulation isn't the term for tempo, you want accelerando or ritardando (modulation is for key!)
- Your discussion of tone colour in verses is too sparse, but it is fantastic in the Chorus (what you called Verse 3). Try and discuss a bit of duration in Verse 3 as well, and a bit more tone colour in the verses. Overall though, good job achieving the balance!

Overall, really good response Georgia! Take a look at some of the other responses to see what you might have missed, but I think you've done a great job! :)

The synth hurt my ears too ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 07:23:06 pm »
+2
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Here’s mineee :)
I’m so bad at aural nowwwww.
Is it alright if you could a mark as well with the feedback ?

Hey!

- Excellent job on the rhythmic notations - Particularly for doing more than just the obvious notation of the bass line quavers. I'm not quite registering where you've heard the demi-semiquavers though, I don't think there are any note values that short in this excerpt (the tempo is allegro, so demi-semiquavers at this speed would be nuts!). Happy to be corrected if there is something I've missed!
- Remember tempo! A super easy observation that should always appear near the start, really essential not to miss the simple stuff :)
- I like that you've chosen to do tone colour/duration as separate responses completely. I actually think that is a good idea - In an exam would you work on both simultaneously or allocate playings to each one?
- Your tone colour observations are pretty spot on - Not much I would have added to it. Be sure your duration observations don't leak into this part of the response, if you are doing it this way.
- A bit more exploration of the different synthesised sounds you are hearing would be welcome - You've got that deep, thudding bassline in the verses but then the higher pitched synthesiser enters in conjunction with the shift to falsetto in the chorus. Very different moods - Would be worth exploring those differences as achieved by more than just the voice :)
- Good work to mention the genre: Something a lot of people forget!

I don't think you are bad at aural at all! This is an effective response for sure - I think you've shown you could easily be in the Band 5 range, the high Band 5 range at that. I think you are right on the edge of a Band 6 level score, just a little extra work and I'd be more confident in saying you've gotten there ;D