Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:01:45 am

Author Topic: Why do people vote for labor?  (Read 3795 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Why do people vote for labor?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 09:44:36 am »
With all due respect,
I would prefer if this was called: why would anyone vote liberal

Out of curiosity, don't they only survive the wealthy minority? So why do they win the vote of the majority?
I definitely agree with you haha - I live in the inner city though, liberal don’t have a chance here. I was asking specifically about labor’s win over greens in Batman.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:41 am »
+1
With all due respect,

Out of curiosity, don't they only survive the wealthy minority? So why do they win the vote of the majority?
Because of policies, one's values and performance

A lot of peers that I knew, were disappointed by:
*Emissions trading scheme - Labor said climate change was the biggest threat,.. yet called off the ETS
*Insulation rebate debacle - 189 house fires. It was largely undregulated
*Schools stimulus program waste - Waste, mismanagement and inflexibility. Many complaints of redundant work and mismangement of funds.
*Mining tax - THat was a big failure as it didn't raise much revenue and went nowhere in years
*Nurses recruiting scheme -. Less than 1000 nurses were recruited.
*Border protection - Asylum seeker numbers expanded greatly, many deaths occurred and the government could not deal with it properly.
*Green loans scheme - A massive rort, which private companies abused

Many people I knew were unhappy about the amount of deaths and the seemingly successful people smuggling business.  The ETS was a huge joke, it gave lots of people hope that there could be a huge direction but nothing came out of that.

As for the 2016 election, many people weren't happy with SHorten's performance. He said a  lot but did nothing (which can be applied today)
Before I get any flame about being anti labour, I am aware of the current lib's failures and do expect them to lose in the next election. **cough cough* National failed Broadband Network, Same sex marriage

But for now, it does seem in the eyes of the people that Liberals are the lessers of two evils.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:34:24 am by EEEEEEP »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:14 am »
+2
“Said a lot but did nothing”... surely that’s a line reserved for people who campaign but then go on to win government? 😂
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 04:37:54 pm »

The argument that the Greens are too radical also holds some currency. We saw the example about the WTO, for instance, which is genuinely moronic policy, and not actually unlike Brexit in its conception interestingly.
It’s also worth noting that up until recently the Greens was an anti-Vax party. The founder of the Greens (Bob Brown), and its leader up until about 2011-2012ish from memory, allowed an anti-vaccination organisation to use his office pro bono to coordinate its opposition to a policy of mandatory vaccination at the federal level. It was actually this organisation that succeeded in having conscientious objection inserted into the law, something which Dr Brown (yeah it gets better, he was a GP too!!) publicly supported.
Some of the most evocative motifs in politics are cancer patients and children... and it’s not even an exaggeration to say that the Greens, in our life time, supported a policy that contributed to their death.

I didn't know this about the anti-vax support! Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 07:44:14 pm »
Why does a single sore spot for you mean you'd never vote for a party again?  Every party will do some things that harm you directly (even if that means they benefit others far more than they harm you, of course).  And no party is perfect anyway.

Liberal party hasn't really done anything that harmed me directly.
They've done moronic things but a policy that has impacted me negatively I cannot think of one.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 07:48:09 pm »
With all due respect,

Out of curiosity, don't they only serve the wealthy minority? So why do they win the vote of the majority?

Generally agreed they can manage the economy really well which is good for job growth and various other things.

Their values appeal to heaps of people too, imo labor wastes taxpayers too often. Although my family has voted for them on occasion and I've agreed with them sometimes they're the better option.

Not recently though, I'm not happy with the direction they are going federal wise.

Imho I think Daniel Andrews is doing a good job for Victoria though and I agree with many of his policies.

Federal election I will always vote Liiberal from now on, too much at stake if other parties win it.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 08:31:10 pm »
+1
I didn't know this about the anti-vax support! Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

It’s worthwhile noting that the position of the current leader is very supportive of vaccination and that Greens’ policy reflects this.
Although Bob Brown provided resources to the anti-vaccination lobby, and even went so far as the publicly endorse the work of an anti-vaccination book, he has since denounced anti-vaxers. To my knowledge, he has never acknowledged his role in empowering these groups.

Either way, I think it serves to highlight that the greens do hold and have held policy positions that almost certainly run contrary to the interests of the majority of people. Without the wanky tone of this message, some of their policy is just fucking mental.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd