Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:23:08 am

Author Topic: Result scaling  (Read 1282 times)  Share 

yongan2334

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Result scaling
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:21:46 am »
Was wandering if a subject gets scaled (exam or final mark) do they have to email the students to notify us or can they just do it internally and we never find out? Thanks in advance.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: Result scaling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:24:39 am »
They're not obliged to tell you but they usually do (especially if scores for scaled up cos so many people failed) and it's usually just an email after the exams saying "we scaled everyones exam score up by 3 because too many people failed". I have had a couple of subjects where I got my score thought it was too low then inspected my exam where they told me everyone got scaled down. The first time after asking the lecturer why I only got 6/7 for two questions I did correct he said that too many people got high scores so they deducted a mark from everyone and that's where they did it (this was finance 1).

But yea if the lecturer isn't salty about it and sends out an email telling the cohort off then you will probably never find out unless you check your examb

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:39 am »
It depends on the subject. In first year science (Biology and Chemistry) we aren't told what the scaling is and there isn't an opportunity to check your exam. In commerce subjects they usually tell you how they scaled scores.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:37:35 pm »
There's actually written policy on this giving all students the right to view their marks. Just in commerce the faculty is very open about it and publishes dates you can go and review your exam but other faculties require you to request it. I'll paste the relevant parts of the assessment and results policy below (approved as of November 2017):

4.110.       Students may request access to their examination scripts by making a request in writing to the dean/subject coordinator by the end of the second week of the following teaching period.

4.111.       The dean must provide appointment times for students with examiners after return of results on each assessment component to allow students to address any problems / poor performance and/or be able to access support services of the University provided for them if required.

4.112.       The chair of the BoE must ensure that examiners in each subject are available to provide feedback to students about their performance after the release of results in that subject.

4.113.       If requested, examiners must provide students with a detailed account of their marks for a subject, including the marks awarded to each assessment component and the calculation used to determine the final overall subject mark and grade.

You obviously should not go checking every single exam you do as it's a waste of time, but if you're ever really really sure after doing the math and being conservative that something is not right then it's worth checking.

yongan2334

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:38 pm »
My result actually seemed too high given all the marks that I'd lost on the in-semester assessment and was wondering if they made a mistake, guess might have just gotten lucky with scaling.