Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:31:09 am

Author Topic: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!  (Read 38874 times)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 06:50:33 pm »
+7
Nah, the moments are not worth watching Season 2 regardless. I'm like the opposite on the villain comment there were too many loopholes with the villain in season 2. It was like they were trying to do Season 1 but in less episodes.

I'd argue the opposite - if you enjoyed season 1 for its philosophy, then season 2 is short enough that it's worth a watch. If you enjoyed it for its intricate plot and choices in character development, then yeah, give it a miss.

That being said I'm curious about your list. If your too embarrassed with your suggestions, you can always PM them to me 8).

Never embarrassed to talk anime. :P Just that my last post was written on my phone, and cbf writing it all out. But, you asked, and so shall receive. ;) To note: I enjoy watching anime for the fact that it's held at a different standard to a lot of western media - particularly in terms of plot and character development. Not to say that anime's better, just different. Like, you can see what I mean when you realise that these shows are crafted so meticulously, because every animation is specifically chosen (whereas for live-action TV, it could just be an extra, or someone didn't put something away, and each episode isn't so meticulously crafted), to the point that often each episode runs at the same time-frame to the second. So, in no particular order:

-Code Geass: if you've watched it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, watch it. It's a war-story anime, very similar to Death Note, but with mecha. Like, I honestly think I don't need to explain it, if you've seen it, you know what I mean - if you haven't and like anime (or even if you don't but have considered giving it a watch), just watch it.

-Gundam 00: made by the same people as CG, around the same time, which should give you an idea of the quality of the show. Most gundam series are very eh, but this one is really-well done. Set in a time that essentially mimics the cold war - however, this is because of humanity's reliance on an "orbital elevator", of which three exists, and are basically the home of all power. If one of these elevators were attacked, the resulting debris would wipe out civilisation around it. On top of that, the elevator is equipped with solar panels, and so essentially each one powers the nations that have built around them. However, whilst there's no fighting, it IS a cold war, still filled with terrorism and fighting. Cue the "protagonists", who use their own brand of terrorism to try and stop others from fighting.

What I love about Gundam 00 (mainly season 1 - season 2 is still good, but for its own reasons) is that it lets you make up your own opinion. It shows the story from every side, so that you can decide if the protagonists are on the good or bad side. On top of that, you grow with the characters - the protagonists start off knowing nothing about each other, and the world knowing nothing about them as a whole, and so you go on an actual journey as if you were a bystander in this world. The show even tries to trick you, and there's never a concrete answer about what's good, bad, or even who people in the show are. One of the best crafted series I've honestly come across

-Fate/series: there are three currently (with a fourth coming round the corner), and I recommend the latest TV release: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (available on Netflix). Classic "mage war" type of series, where people form contracts with mythical characters from the past, to duke it out for the holy grail. Once again, really plays with the idea of what you see isn't as it seems, with a lot of complex problems in them. Also filled with some real meme-worthy lines, such as "But people die when they are killed", "the archer class really is filled with archers!", and my favourites, "just because you're correct, doesn't mean you're right".

-Digimon: Tamers: released to the western world as "Digimon, season 3", I pick this one specifically because of the attention to detail. The director of this series so carefully built the world, and you can tell when watching it (and if you don't believe me, his own personal notes got uploaded to the internet - and hoh boi, is it big). This series is a lot more mature, but carefully designed so that kids can still easily enjoy it, with most of the focus being on the three main characters and the relationships they form. Like, I could write an English essay on this, but in short: the first character, Takato, is as a father to his digimon, and you get an exploration of what it means to raise a child. The second, Henry, instead has one as an older brother, and the last, Rika, is that of a lover (do not google, for your own health). They even flip this on its head with the fourth and fifth children to be chosen - Jerry and Ryo. Jerry does the converse, with her digimon acting much more like a parental figure (to mimic the mother she lost as a child), and Ryo literally commands his digimon like a circus trainer. This show has a heavy focus on all the different types of relationships that exist, and really pushes them to show that all relationships and beautiful should be valid. Once again has some fun with the "who's the bad guy?" trope, with a twist ending villain that I think could not be better executed, particularly in driving the moral home. Digimon is a series built on "the power of friendship!", and this season in particular really does that message right.

-Steins;Gate: in the same boat as Code Geass. This one, however, focuses on a rag-tag group of kids who like to play science in a shared apartment between two of the characters. Throw in some weird time-travel and some interesting (and as realistic as you can get for time-travel) physics, and you have a killer show. It doesn't really pick up until half-way through, but there's enough world-building and intrigue to keep to keep you going that far through it. Once again, the kind of series best explained by "you'll like it, but it's better I don't tell you why".

Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor: a story based around a world in which magic is common place, and many people go to a school to learn to control it. Cue the teacher, who's a dead-beat, but with a mysterious past. I don't want to reveal too much, but it's a very well-written piece, and so just like some of the entries in the list, the interest is in the intrigue, so if you like the idea of a show based around a magic school with a teacher who isn't as he seems, give it a shot.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: do not watch the first series. It's just plain shit. This focuses on a pair of brothers, who practice the science of "alchemy". Unlike the alchemy of history, this one fairly well matches our current understanding of science, with a twist of fantasy. With the correct chemical components, the two brothers (and other alchemists) have the ability to take one chemical out of a complex mixture, and move it around. This results from things as small as "concentrate the oxygen in the air along this specific path" and "heat this water up to boiling", to "change the shape of the earth so that it is now a barrier". The premise is that these two brothers tried to commit a forbidden act - bringing the dead back to life. In classic, "you can't play God" fashion, they learn that the human body is not easily re-created due to the fact that it has a "soul", and so they lose their bodies (one of them just his arm and leg, the other his whole body), with the show starting off as them on a journey to find a way to get their bodies back. There's a nice poetry about the whole series that I adore, and can wholly recommend to people of all types.

-Zetsuen no Tempest: this is a smaller hit that no many know of, but I love. It's based around a boy whose best friend disappeared "mysteriously" after the death of that friend's sister. The sister was brutally murdered, but no culprit could be named, as not a trace was left at the crime scene. A year later, the brother returns to the best friend, now on the run from a group. Using magical artefacts, they're able to accomplish great athletic feats, with some animation that is absolutely stunning - particularly in the colour play. The whole story is set along the lines of Shakespeare's The Tempest, with the main character often bringing reference to parts of the play. A very touching story, and completely worth you giving it a watch.

-Classroom of the Exile: tbh, I don't have a lot to say, other than see Code Geass and Steins;Gate - it's better that I don't give too much away. Essentially, the protagonists end up at a boarding school, where each class is bunched together in terms of "perceived intelligence" (based on test scores and the like). However, this leads to an intense competition between each class, as they're all ranked against each other, and each rank is proportional to the amount of money they have to live off (and hence their prestige). Truly interesting, and I can only hope sequel series of it are okayed. If you enjoyed Death Note and Code Geass, you will love this.

Sword Art Online: yes, this is a turd of a show. But it's a fun turd, and unlike Naruto, actually features a story that's easy to follow with (sorta) no filler, so like, give it a watch.

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:38 pm »
+6
I recommend 'How to Get Away With Murder'; its a Legal drama/Mystery/Thriller about a group of 5 students and their professor (Annalise Keating), of whom get intertwined in a murder which becomes the premise for the show. The show utilises flash forwards and as each episode progresses, the duration of time between the present and the flash forward reduces, resulting in a lot of cliff hangers and suspense. If you're looking for a show that'll keep  you on your toes, and is cruel in the sense that its endings are always insane, 'How to Get Away With Murder' may be it! I'll put the trailer for the first season here, too. :) ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCYGxG3UjfM
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 08:06:50 pm »
+1
I said I'd go to Stranger Things next but I got distracted with Suits. I've nearly finished the first season and I'm really enjoying it! But the whole thing is founded on a lie and it makes me soooo anxious so I have to take breaks consistently lol

yes!!!! suits!!!!! how good is it?!! i was the complete opposite when i watched suits - i binge watched 3 seasons in my break after trials, just before i had to go back to school. the lie aspect of it made me want to watch more! but yea, it is very hard to watch all this lie stuff going on. don't worry, all will be solved :-) who's your favourite character so far?

Just finished the first season of The Crown the other day. Conflicted about it. All the characters are so detestable, which I find a little frustrating. I couldn't help but spend a lot of it wondering why we persist with a royal family, but that's another thing.

I also found Winston Churchill a bit hard to hack. The performance wasn't very convincing. I think they probably pushed too hard to highlight the personal flaws of Churchill, and in particular to underline the fact that his second PM'ship was largely a failure. Also, the actor was the same one who played Lord Farquaad sooooo....

Despite all this, the sets were absolutely gorgeous and the scenery amazing, which almost made up for it.

hey hey another person who watched The Crown! the characters are a little annoying, but the performances are quite well done. i thought churchill was alright (didn't know the actor was american until i googled him after) but i couldn't think of someone who would play churchill better when i watched it. definitely agree on the sets and scenery - stunning!! did you think the show was historically accurate? would you watch the second season?

HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 08:13:31 pm »
+5
Shooter on Netflix

The Blacklist

Suits

The Good Doctor

Nikita

Stalker

Hostages (there's like 50 series called hostages, its the one with Toni Collette).

---

You're welcome. Some are quite old series but still great. Could go on forever but have just named the ones that I could think on the spot that are decent
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:12 pm »
+4
I’m so happy to see a few people recommending anime. I thought that I was alone in my obsession with anime. Seriously, I’ve spent majority of my free time since grade 1 until now on anime. Oh how I’ve wasted my life. Time to casually go to myanimelist (which is where I keep track of my anime) and look over the couple of hundred anime I’ve watched across my life to give some recommendations. Here are some recommendations from me that are a tiny bit less mainstream:
-Mushishi
-Monster
-Natsume Yuujinchou
-Baccano!
-Made in Abyss
-Katanagatari
-Kino no Tabi (the old one, not the new one that’s airing right now)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:05 pm »
+2
I’m so happy to see a few people recommending anime. I thought that I was alone in my obsession with anime.

Loooool where you been. We used to have an anime thread, actually, might be worth digging that back up...

abbeyrose

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 10:48:55 pm »
+1
This year I really got into watching TV shows as a form of procrastination and now that I've finished exams I truly have become a binge watcher extraordinaire. My favourite shows are:

-Suits: I'm a true sucker for a legal drama (and I high key love Harvey Specter)
-Janet King: My absolute favourite TV show! It's a spin-off from another ABC show, Crownies, which I also love.
-Parks and recreation
-Upper Middle Bogan
-Love Child: I really liked the first two seasons and tolerated the rest haha
-Reign: Despite its historical inaccuracies and my dislike for Mary in the show, I do find it a good watch (Catherine de' Medici really makes the show tbh)

2016-2017 (VCE): English, Legal Studies, Further Maths, HHD, Psychology, History: Global Empires
2019-: Monash University

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 11:29:39 pm »
+4
After finishing Stranger Things in about three days, can definitely recommend it! The cast is absolutely incredible (especially Millie Bobby Brown), particularly given that most of the main cast is <15 years old! Really talented group of kids. The plot is also simple, yet really smart. They don't try and overload you with stuff, and there isn't too many subplots (at least none that require a extensive amount of time/don't in some way contribute to the main narrative), however at the same time, everything ties in together really nicely, yet doesn't seem forced or unbelievable/too convenient.

It's also a show where I actually enjoyed the second season more than the first! Typically I find that after the first season things tend to go downhill, so this was a welcome surprise :) The aesthetic of the show is also really nice imo - artistic direction is spot on.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

ellellen

• Forum Regular
  • bleep bloop
  • Respect: +76
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 12:17:56 am »
+1
okay these are my top 3 shows that i recommend atm:

1. Bojack Horseman
This show is a comedy and it's little weird and maybe a bit hard to get into, but after you get past the first couple of episodes it's just sO goOD. I know some people find the interactions between humans and humanoid animals in this show a little odd, but i think it is just so funny and has sosososo many great animal-related puns . Also the characters are very fleshed-out and relatable and some stuff that happens in the show can make you really sAd but in like a good way?? Overall i highly recommend !!

2. Arrested Development
Good fun sitcom/ mockumentary-style show that just miraculously perfectly aligns with my own sense of humour. the characters are all over-the-top and each is funny in a different way. Lots of good running gags. Super highly recommend if you want a show that is just nice and funny and easy to watch.

3. Jessica Jones
This one is diFFerent from the above two, because it's not a comedy. Idk what genre i would categorise it as but it's just dark maybe like detective/thriller-ish ?? david tennant's character is supEr spooky and i was always on the edge of my seat. Also has a really cool female protagonist; krysten ritter is so so so good as jessica. the first episode will get you hooked, but warning because it's a little gruesome.

VCE 2015: Biology | History Revs | English | Legal Studies | Media | Methods
ATAR: 96.55

Currently: Arts/Law at Monash University - History Major, Journalism Minor

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:27 am »
+3
ITV's Victoria for my fellow history buffs. ;)

kemi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 10:20:01 am »
+1
The Adventures of Merlin? Anyone?

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra (Close to my heart srsly xD)

Zankyou no Terror (Obscure but powerful imo)

Assassination Classroom (Hilarious!!!)

Kuroko no Basuke (You don't even have to like basketball xD Fun to watch)

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Beautiful in. every. way.)

Death Note (A classic, but written by a genius)

... love Naruto though it dragged at the end and the fillers - just skip the fillers. Though some are ok.
HSC 2017

- X1Eng - X1Math - Chem - Bio (3rd in NSW) -

99.50 :D

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
+2

Second these recommendations!! So sad that Merlin ended after 5 seasons; this made the ending and character development feel so rushed at the end. Still loved the show though! And Avatar just has everything: good humour, beautiful animation, and amazing plot line.

Other than those two, my main recommendation right now would be American Horror Story! It's so good because it isn't like your typical horror movie that uses jump scares for screams, but instead relies on the plot line and visual imagery for real actual horror. And the actors are so good, especially Evan Peters who can literally play anyone from zombie boyfriend to Trump supporter cult leader. It's an anthology series so you can start watching from any season. I would personally recommend season 1 (Murder house), 3 (Coven) and 6 (Roanoke); the other seasons are okay but they're not nearly as good imo.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:50:17 pm by lovelyperson »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 12:44:46 pm »
+2

Zankyou no Terror (Obscure but powerful imo)

Eh, yes, and eh.

Could just be me, but I had some trouble with Merlin. First season was great, don't get me wrong, but it became such a struggle to try and keep going after that. :S And Zankyou no Terror was alright, but the plot seemed really sluggish, with confusing characters (one second he likes there, then he's threatening her life, then he gives up everything for her? eh?), and my GOD why were the characters so white when it's set in Tokyo? D:

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 11:37:33 am »
+3
Wisdom of the Crowd

This recently started showing on Channel 10, and it is absolutely incredible (10/10 would recommend ;D). It's about a crime-solving platform created to solve the murder of Mia Tanner, the daughter of the creator. Essentially, anyone who has access to the internet can upload evidence pertaining to her murder/other crimes.

That wasn't the best summary but it really is a great show!
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

kemi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 06:08:48 pm »
Eh, yes, and eh.

Could just be me, but I had some trouble with Merlin. First season was great, don't get me wrong, but it became such a struggle to try and keep going after that. :S

Haha xD I respect your opinion. Personally I think it became better as it went on, though some episodes and arcs were strange, I must admit. They handled the legend quite well (of course it was modernised and simplified to a great extent) - the humour works, character development is not too bad, maybe the effects could have been better, but they did the job. The ending was great too... I actually don't think it needed more than 5 seasons! (@lovelyperson)

And Zankyou no Terror was alright, but the plot seemed really sluggish, with confusing characters (one second he likes there, then he's threatening her life, then he gives up everything for her? eh?), and my GOD why were the characters so white when it's set in Tokyo? D:

Hahaha xD Hey, it depends how you interpret it; I think because it was a shorter series it was intended to be a bit strange with several interpretations. It did lack a solid backstory after all, but the animation was quite spectacular imo.

Misplaced white characters? I think this describes 99% of anime xD
HSC 2017

- X1Eng - X1Math - Chem - Bio (3rd in NSW) -

99.50 :D