Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:50:37 pm

Author Topic: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC  (Read 73981 times)

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2017, 09:34:11 pm »
Omg, my first Advanced English assessment is tomorrow and I'm freaking out because I feel so underprepared. It's weighted 30%, half of it being creative and the other half being short answers—both associated with the concept of discovery, of course. The creative is a hand in, which is a blessing, but I keep second guessing the quality of my own creative even though I've handed in multiple drafts over the past few weeks. I made a few last minute refinements, but I can't tell whether it made it worse or better lol. Anyways, I'm exponentially more worried for the short answers because it is so unpredictable!! UGHH and the time limit is seriously throwing me off—we get 40 minutes in total, but 10 minutes of that is limited to reading so we only have 30 minutes to write out our responses. That is literally impossible for me because I have a natural inclination to overwrite, but it doesn't feel like I'm overwriting in the moment if that makes any sense. I did a practice paper today under timed conditions but I didn't even get close to finishing. Granted, I accidentally mistook a 1 marker for a 2 marker and wrote half a page for it, but still. At the 12 minute mark I still hadn't started my last 3 marker question, so I moved straight onto the mini essay (5-6 marker) at the end and even that I didn't get to finish. So in total, I skipped a 3 marker question in its entirety and the conclusion for the 5-6 marker. And I swear I keep mental blanking in the midst of the paper, like my teacher gave us suggested sentence structures to ensure that we don't overwrite and the like, but it's like all of that completely goes out of the window when I'm actually doing it. I'm actually so fucking worried, I want atleast 90% but I swear that is, by and large, the hardest to achieve in Advanced English. If only we had the entire 40 minutes... I would not be nearly as stressed.

Not to mention, I have to see my Extension English teacher tomorrow aswell to hand in another draft for my essay but the thought of seeing her literally makes me nauseous. There has been a lot of tension between us in the past couple weeks, especially in the last and it has made me feel really upset and undervalued as a student. I'm so scared, despite objectively having nothing to fear, but nonetheless my anxiety has been through the roof the entire weekend just because I know she has something against me that I literally cannot subvert other than the fact that I know in my heart that this "something" is complete bs. Despite knowing this, the fact that she even doubted me in that regard really made me question why I was even in the class if even my teacher didn't believe in me. I'm basically just anxious because I don't like confrontations with people that hate me. I really want to get 90+ in my Extension though, so I'm forcing myself to overcome this anxiety for the sake of that goal. Though given the toll that this entire situation had placed on my mental wellbeing, I'm not sure if even a 90+ will suffice for me to stay in English Extension. Why is everything so difficult and hard and stressful... I hate it so much.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:51:07 pm by Lumenoria »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Tempestuously cruising through the HSC
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2017, 09:55:42 pm »
Omg, my first Advanced English assessment is tomorrow and I'm freaking out because I feel so underprepared. It's weighted 30%, half of it being creative and the other half being short answers—both associated with the concept of discovery, of course. The creative is a hand in, which is a blessing, but I keep second guessing the quality of my own creative even though I've handed in multiple drafts over the past few weeks. I made a few last minute refinements, but I can't tell whether it made it worse or better lol. Anyways, I'm exponentially more worried for the short answers because it is so unpredictable!! UGHH and the time limit is seriously throwing me off—we get 40 minutes in total, but 10 minutes of that is limited to reading so we only have 30 minutes to write out our responses. That is literally impossible for me because I have a natural inclination to overwrite, but it doesn't feel like I'm overwriting in the moment if that makes any sense. I did a practice paper today under timed conditions but I didn't even get close to finishing. Granted, I accidentally mistook a 1 marker for a 2 marker and wrote half a page for it, but still. At the 12 minute mark I still hadn't started my last 3 marker question, so I moved straight onto the mini essay (5-6 marker) at the end and even that I didn't get to finish. So in total, I skipped a 3 marker question in its entirety and the conclusion for the 5-6 marker. And I swear I keep mental blanking in the midst of the paper, like my teacher gave us suggested sentence structures to ensure that we don't overwrite and the like, but it's like all of that completely goes out of the window when I'm actually doing it. I'm actually so fucking worried, I want atleast 90% but I swear that is, by and large, the hardest to achieve in Advanced English. If only we had the entire 40 minutes... I would not be nearly as stressed.

Not to mention, I have to see my Extension English teacher tomorrow aswell to hand in another draft for my essay but the thought of seeing her literally makes me nauseous. There has been a lot of tension between us in the past couple weeks, especially in the last and it has made me feel really upset and undervalued as a student. I'm so scared, even though I know I have nothing to fear, but nonetheless my anxiety has been through the roof the entire weekend just because I know she has something against me and I literally cannot really subvert that other than the fact that I know in my heart that this "something" is complete bs. Despite knowing this, the fact that she even doubted me in that regard really made me question why I was even in the class if even my teacher didn't believe in me. I really want to get 90+ in my Extension though, so I'm forcing myself to overcome this anxiety for the sake of that goal. Though given the toll that this entire situation had placed on my mental wellbeing, I'm not sure if even a 90+ will suffice for me to stay in English Extension. Why is everything so difficult and hard and stressful... I hate it so much.
Ouch, this sounds rough!  :(
Just take a break for a day. Literally just chill and relax, forget about everything and do something that you love doing that you can get lost in!
I find that helps as I can recharge and then go back into it with more focus.
Also, the time limit thing really sucks, that's such a bad way of doing it I reckon.
But in the long run, it may actually help you because, you'll learn to write lots in shorter amounts of time. But at the end of the day, don't worry about it, go in and do your best. If your best means you miss a 3 marker or something THEN SO BE IT because you've given it your all  :)
And with your creative, if you've already handed it in, then stop worrying about wheather those modifacations made it better or worse. The mark you get is well....the mark you get and you'll just have to take that mark and keep on going.
Even if you don't do well, its not the end of the world!
If you ever want to, send me a message or something and just vent to me, i'm a pretty good listener and am decent with advice (I reckon hahahaha). Please, don't hesitate too!  ;D
Either way, keep on grinding!  8)
You got this!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2017, 10:27:08 pm »

Ouch, this sounds rough!  :(
Just take a break for a day. Literally just chill and relax, forget about everything and do something that you love doing that you can get lost in!
I find that helps as I can recharge and then go back into it with more focus.
Also, the time limit thing really sucks, that's such a bad way of doing it I reckon.
But in the long run, it may actually help you because, you'll learn to write lots in shorter amounts of time. But at the end of the day, don't worry about it, go in and do your best. If your best means you miss a 3 marker or something THEN SO BE IT because you've given it your all  :)
And with your creative, if you've already handed it in, then stop worrying about wheather those modifacations made it better or worse. The mark you get is well....the mark you get and you'll just have to take that mark and keep on going.
Even if you don't do well, its not the end of the world!
If you ever want to, send me a message or something and just vent to me, i'm a pretty good listener and am decent with advice (I reckon hahahaha). Please, don't hesitate too!  ;D
Either way, keep on grinding!  8)
You got this!

Yeah, it's been a terrible week... I literally couldn't even sleep because I knew that once I woke up, I would be one day closer to seeing my Extension teacher. It's just speaking to people who I know have something against me gives me crazy anxiety. I'm not even sure if I'll have the mental strength to hand in another draft tomorrow, I might not bother depending on the prevailing circumstances haha!

Aw thanks, yeah I think I might do that after tomorrow actually. I really need a moment of rejuvenation after all this shit with Extension, because I seriously can't deal with this back and forth drama. Ironically, it's literally not even the exams themselves that are stressing me out—it's just this. I know I am capable of achieving high 90s because I have gone by and large beyond that in every other subject in this assessment period, so to have none of my efforts acknowledged really makes me feel like shit. I literally compromised time studying for my maths exam in order for this draft to be handed in on time, and for it to be of high quality. I don't want to disclose the details of this situation because it's way too long to type out, but message me if you're actually interested haha. And this is only ONE drama out of the many I've experienced in the first term of year 12 with this subject.

In relation to my Advanced assessment tomorrow, I'm really just hoping I'll be able to internally discipline myself in the exam room to NOT overwrite... though I think that's quite impossible at this point. I am praying to the gods, because the feeling of not completing an exam is the WORST because you're left with all the "could have" and "would have" speculations. I probably should attempt another paper, but I have no energy at all ugh. I might do one in 20 minutes or so, because I really need the assurance that I have the ability to finish in 30 minutes.

Thank you so much for the support, I can confidently say the same thing to you! :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2017, 08:26:55 pm »
+1
Omg I did my Advanced assessment today (short answers), finally it's done. Initially, I was really happy with my performance because I actually completed the paper (somewhat) but then my friend mentioned that we had to do a certain text in the mini-essay question and I realised I didn't do that at all. We were supposed to address discovery through text 4 and another one of our own choice, but I neglected that part (without realising) and just did texts 1 and 3, assuming that it was like every other practice paper I had done. I'm so fucking annoyed because I know I will lose quite a fair bit for that, and the maximum I can get is probably 13 - assuming I got full marks in the rest of the paper, which I highly doubt. There was this one question about imagery that I, again, neglected to read and just jotted down a bunch of random techniques before reading the question and realising I hadn't done what it had asked for. I didn't have much time so I tried to tie imagery in somehow, but I did a really shitty job of it for sure. This is really stressing me out, because I know I fucked up big time... so I have to rely on my creative (which was the other half of this assessment) to raise my mark. I hope I can get atleast 13/15 on it so that I can get over 80% total. I actually cannot believe I could've actually done well HAD I READ THAT LAST QUESTION. UGHHH. I even recall noticing an inconsistency in that question when I briefly skimmed over it, but I swear I reread it and it seemed like a normal mini-essay question? The funny part is that I was ranting about how frustrating this was to my friend, and she freaked out because she had done the exact same thing as me with the exact same texts HAHHAA. Ugh... I hate life.

I was going to hand my Extension draft today but I didn't have the guts to do it because I felt like my Advanced and Extension teacher would be deathstaring me as soon as I walked into the staffroom. My anxiety around them is actually so bad now, and I'm dreading Advanced tomorrow for the first time in YEARS just because of this stupid, baseless drama.

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2017, 01:18:27 am »
It's been two weeks into the holidays and I've barely done shit, academic wise. I feel so guilty hahaha, but I've been working 40+ hours weeks that I physically cannot. I really need to push aside some time for my major work, because I want to have completed 50% of it by the end of this holidays. At the moment, I've done 10% of it, which is seriously nothing. I've also started working on my English Extension creative, but I'm not really happy with it, so I'll probably scrap it. I'm basically hoping my procrastinating attitude completely subsides once the new year is upon us, though I highly doubt it haha. I might have to put in some unavailabilities for the next few weeks of the hols for school. ugh.

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2018, 02:47:09 pm »
+4
The new year is upon us, and it seems to have emerged quicker than any other year, ever. 2017 was, by and large, one of the worst years I've ever lived through emotionally, but at the same time I was able to seek out who cared about me the most - barely anyone lol, but the ones that did, were people I would have never imagined in even the slightest. Particularly at the beginning of the year, I saw and endured a lot of shit that I would never wish upon anyone, shit that became ongoing for a few months. It affected my academic performance exorbitantly, and at the time I thought my appalling results of 60s-70s were just because I didn't "study enough" of "study effectively", but in retrospect, it definitely expunged any motivation or drive that would've been imperative towards academic success. I resorted to habits that were completely out of character for me, shocking myself even, but as the year neared October, I think I was shifting towards recovery (this shit never leaves you, but it gave me some semblance of progress and hope). My results recovered aswell, I ended my prelim year with marks in the high 80s-90s. I went through so much drama with my teachers regarding English Extension (which I feel will continue as the school year for 2018 is upon me), and that affected me a lot and was the source of much of my frustration. I try to divert away from throwing around the word "depression" because I know that the depths of the struggle that it entails, but this drama that lasted throughout the entirety of my first term of year seriously made me depressed. Not to the extent that is often associated with the mental illness, but the stress that it gave me made me spiral into severe depressive episodes, on several occasions. The dread of going to the class once a week would exist every single day and literally permeate every aspect of my life at the time. On a more positive note however, I started off my HSC with (what I've gotten so far) a mark of 100% in Legal and 95% in Maths. I hope results of this nature continue to persist throughout 2018, and that I am able to overlook the drama that has occurred so that I can keep English Extension without the stress. May this year be kind to you all, have a good day!! X

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2018, 01:54:58 am »
Omg, school is literally just around the corner. As I'm sure I've placed enough emphasis on here before, I've done basically nothing for the vast majority of these holidays... just a tad of progress here and there. Today though, I woke up at 7:30am and powered through my Extension creative until 1pm... and finished my first draft! I've been so unproductive recently that I literally forgot the euphoria associated with accomplishment lol. I still need to add a motif to the piece but have yet to establish an appropriate way to weave it through the piece, which is incredibly annoying. I hate adding shit into writing after having finished the fundamental piece, it feels like you're walking against the natural direction of the wind - it just doesn't seem to work without sounding forced, you know? I also feel like my story doesn't quite sound like a short story, as it's intended to be. I can't quite point my finger on it, but I think my character's a bit too aware of her surroundings in both a social and political sense to the point where it compromises the authenticity of my work? I find it quite hard to discern with though, probably because I wrote it myself. Moreover, I think my writing style is a bit too casual/rigid atm from the amount of work I've been doing, or rather, a lack thereof. Ugh

Then I went down to the library, which was really just an excuse to get acai, and surprised myself by finishing off my legal essay. I think I got a bit too passionate though because my paragraph on the need for a genuine external oversight over police misconduct is about 600 words long, lmao. This is honestly why I love legal though. Passionate activist for justice = 90+ lol. I then did some of my legal booklet, but I need to finish the remainder of that tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy with my accomplishments today, I only wish I had done so earlier so that I wouldn't have had to deal with this pressing obligation everyday lol. I feel so behind on my notes and shit in comparison to everyone else, it's seriously guilt tripping me so hard haha. On another note, we got our timetables on the portal yesterday and I'm lowkey paranoid because it says my Extension teacher is my Advanced teacher aswell as my Extension. I'm 99% sure it's just a technical error because that wouldn't make any sense, but another part of me is super worried about that 1% possibility. My frees aren't too great, as per usual, but it's whatever. My main resolution this year is to utilise my free periods effectively, because I failed to do that in Year 11 and I regretted it so much. Time also goes by faster if you work harder tbh. I have to hand in my Extension creative on the first day back, which is when I'll probably receive my mark back for my first assessment if year 12, and I am so fucking anxious AHHH. I'm praying so hard for an 85+, or I'll actually consider leaving the class. Omgg. Wishing everyone the best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:01:40 am by Lumenoria »

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2018, 11:31:11 pm »
+2
Okie, first day of school was fine. My Extension teacher didn't give me back my mark when I handed in my creative, which was a huge surprise lol... a pleasant one, though. I'll definitely get it tomorrow, along with Economics, which is kind of exciting but scary haha. I feel like I have a good chance at getting high 80s-90s in Economics tbh. I was under a lot of pressure at the time due to working exorbitant hours and also the fact that the assessment was quite hard, but I did put in quite a lot of effort in preparation nonetheless. The less significant portion of the assessment was kind of rushed, perhaps even on the verge of half assed, but I think it was okay. Overall, I would be elated if I got a mark on or in excess of 85.

I got quite a lot of work done tonight, thank god. I really wanted to work on maths because I haven't touched it in 7 weeks or so - terrible, I know - but I fucking lost my calculator in the holidays somehow. Ugh. Those things are expensive man.

Hoping tomorrow goes well, and hope everyone had a good first day! x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »
+3
I got quite a lot of work done tonight, thank god. I really wanted to work on maths because I haven't touched it in 7 weeks or so - terrible, I know - but I fucking lost my calculator in the holidays somehow. Ugh. Those things are expensive man.

Aren't they insane! AN should promote a calculator recycling program or something - Donate them to us when you finish Year 12, we sell the ones that work on for super cheap and give the money to charity or something (brainstorming aloud, ahaha...)

I'm glad your first day went well! Fingers crossed your marks were stellar ;D

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2018, 08:53:43 pm »
+2
Hey,
So, as predicted, I received marks back for both Economics and English Extension 1 today. They were alright. So basically, I received 90% (27/30) in Economics, which I'm elated with. My teacher even said that I was one of the very few people who actually understood what I was talking about in my essay, which was nice to hear - because I find Economics quite difficult as a whole. I'm even more content with my mark considering that I had only spent two days preparing for it - I was bombarded with the burden of English Extension deadlines, work, severe glandular fever and quite a few other obligations at the time. I didn't hand in a draft at all, and if you read my entry on the day of the exam, you'll know that I cut out an entire paragraph due to a lack of time. My conclusion was a tad incomplete lol, my teacher was literally like "did you run out of time??" Indeed, this compromised my confidence in this quite a bit initially, but I'm relieved that it didn't impact my mark significantly.

For English Extension 1, man I got 76% (19/25) - devastating. I do believe the teacher marked exponentially harsher in comparison to past assessments (perhaps due to the fact that we're in the HSC), because rank 1 received the same mark as me despite having maintained 95+ easily in prelims. I was quite indifferent to my mark due to the fact that my teacher ensured I was ready to receive such a result through psychological torture lol. However, this has really shattered my confidence in my ability to continue this subject - I feel like I will no longer have the motivation to redeem myself. The girl who topped this assessment got 20, a mark above me. The number of people in our cohort has dropped to almost nothing - probably due to the incompetence of my teacher - and I'm seriously considering it. At the moment, I'm ranked 2nd but I really can't justify dropping the subject purely for the "safety net" sentiment. I am quite confident with my other subjects, and I believe that the subject I'm least confident in is, by and large, economics. Obviously, I'm not atrocious at it but I find its concepts the most time-consuming to grasp due to the complexity - and also due to the fact that universal application, not only memorisation, is imperative towards success, much unlike other subjects. However, dropping Extension would enable me to focus more on this weak subject in order to ensure my confidence is on par with the others. As I've mentioned before, I've literally been taken to hell and back by my teacher and I think this less-than-ideal mark has confirmed my previously ambiguous decision to leave. I feel bad, almost verging on guilty, because I've already invested so much time and especially mental energy into this subject that I could've spent on other subjects, but quite frankly, it doesn't even bother me at this point. My passion for this subject remains strong in spite of this mark, it always has, but I don't know if such a passion will suffice any longer for me to stay. I think I'm better off without it... idk. I don't think the workload is extraordinarily crazy to be honest, so keeping it wouldn't be too much of a strain... but I don't want to keep it without the motivation to do well (as I feel has already happened) because, since I'm on 11 units, it won't count. I think I'm staying in it right for the mentality that "if I do bad then it won't count so whatever", but if that really is the case, why do it at all - you know? For the off chance that may not be the case? This is so fucking conflicting, I don't know what to do omg.

I'm receiving my Advanced English and Multimedia marks back tomorrow, hopefully, and I know I fucked up the former due to misconstruing an important question, but I think just knowing the marks themselves will give me a clearer idea of what to do in this regard. ah.

Aren't they insane! AN should promote a calculator recycling program or something - Donate them to us when you finish Year 12, we sell the ones that work on for super cheap and give the money to charity or something (brainstorming aloud, ahaha...)

I'm glad your first day went well! Fingers crossed your marks were stellar ;D

Aw, I know hey!! I've probably bought 5 in the entirety of my time spent in high school - it's insane! haha!

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:31 pm »
+4
Alright, so I FINALLY got the last of my assessment marks (English Adv and Multimedia) back on Thursday.

Holy crap, I was so worried for this day to come because I legitimately thought I bombed the short answers so hard for our AOS paper (which was weighted 30%, half short answers and half creative). Basically, the 5 marker question at the end of it asked you specifically to analyse TEXT 4 with another text of your choice. Being the idiot I am, I completely neglected that aspect and just skipped to what the question was - assuming you had to compare any two of your choice, as you usually would. My friends told me that after the exam and I freaked out, realising that the most I could get was probably 11 out of 15 or something. Anyways, so flashback to Thursday, my teacher asked me hand out the results and everyone who I considered relatively good students had gotten single digit marks - which was super offputting. Then I saw mine and got so excited that I even yelled at my super smart friend that I got a 12, to which she responded quietly "... I got 9" - even though she had completed the entire paper correctly. I felt terrible instantly, but I was really confused because she usually gets 13s and 14s in short answers. Anyway, so I returned to my desk and saw that my creative result was on it, but was hesitant to turn it over incase it ruined my joy lol. I finally turned it over to see that I had gotten 14/15. Holy shit, what. That was way higher than I ever expected. So in total, I received 26/30.

My marks/estimated ranks thus far are -

English Advanced - 87 - 2nd
English Extension 1 - 76 - 2nd
Maths - 95 - 3rd
Legal Studies - 100 - 1st
Economics - 90 - 2nd
Multimedia - 86 - 1st

I am really surprised that I managed to maintain such consistency achieving 85+ on all my main 10 units, that has never happened to me before - usually one thing atleast screws me over.

I'm still considering dropping English Extension, like I love the content but it's kinda a strain on my other subjects so I don't know if it's the right thing to do. As you probably know, I've been considering it for awhile and the less than ideal 76 kinda affirmed this decision. I definitely feel like I spend more time on it than a single unit should worth, but I also have a passion for it. I'm mainly just keeping it right now because of the "safety net" phenomenon, I'm highly doubt I'll do well in Economics in the HSC because of its inherently difficult nature, so having Extension there makes me feel a bit relieved - though not reflective in the aforementioned results, I know I can probably do well because I'm more than happy to invest time in it. And while I've done well in economics so far, I've been scraping by doing the bare minimum for it and I know I won't be as lucky next time because I find it dry as fuck lol - which doesn't help considering it's my hardest subject, by and large. I don't even bother refining my essays for economics, I just smash them out of the park in one session and never look back on it. I literally don't even bother handing in a draft, and have never done so in my life for this subject, because I'm too embarrassed about the shitty quality of my work to face confrontation about it HAHHAAHA. I know it's obviously not actually that in reality, but I can't help feeling like it because my minutes spent on my prepared responses are exponentially shorter than on other subjects.

I'm basically just hoping I can maintain my marks in the upcoming exams at this point, but I feel like a fuck up will be inevitable because I'll probably get a double up lol. Ugh

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2018, 09:50:55 pm »
+1
Ahahaha, wtf. That's so good, you should be so proud!

Those rankings though <3 we can only hope you keep this up with your half yearly exams coming up, which I'm sure you'll smash!!! Have faith in your abilities, because you seem more than capable of achieving fantastic results.

In regards to your decision to drop, I think you should see how you go with your half yearly exams. If that extra English course is really affecting how you study, then you shouldn't hesitate to drop it. It's all about how you feel about it on top of your other courses.

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2018, 11:33:19 pm »
+1

Ahahaha, wtf. That's so good, you should be so proud!

Those rankings though <3 we can only hope you keep this up with your half yearly exams coming up, which I'm sure you'll smash!!! Have faith in your abilities, because you seem more than capable of achieving fantastic results.

In regards to your decision to drop, I think you should see how you go with your half yearly exams. If that extra English course is really affecting how you study, then you shouldn't hesitate to drop it. It's all about how you feel about it on top of your other courses.
Aw thanks man!! That's probably what I'm going to end up doing hhahaha x

Lumenoria

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 11:14:37 pm »
+2
Long story short, I dropped English Extension on Wednesday and I kinda regret it. It was definitely a decision that I came based to on recklessness, instead of rationality, despite having thought about doing so for a long, long time. I loved the content of the subject and it wasn't too much of a strain on my other subjects at ALL - it was my teacher, who still remains oblivious to the bullshit she put me through at the end of last year. Ugh.

On another note, I got a bit sentimental that day because I had a chat to my previous Extension teacher on the whim (who had gone on maternity leave halfway through prelims) that I hadn't seen in literally forever and I realised how much I missed her. I know for a fact that if she, or my Advanced teacher, took my Extension class then dropping it would literally never have crossed my mind.

I feel like teachers seriously impact your performance and attitude towards your classes a LOT. I have incredible teachers for Advanced English and Legal - they are both not only strict, but they actually enforce their expectations on us. I don't think it's a coincidence that I always feel like there's not much more I can do for them in terms of studying because I'm already on top of it all; whereas in other subjects that I have shitty teachers, I know there is so much for me to catch up on and yet I still don't really do anything about it because I know the teachers don't check. Funnily enough, the former scenario, though demanding, always makes the subject more enjoyable - because you're kinda forced to immerse yourself in it no matter what, and it ends up becoming interesting even if it's inherently not. I feel like this is especially the case for English Advanced, everyone thinks I'm some sort of lunatic for considering it as my favourite subject (I get hyped going to it every single lesson, not kidding), but I seriously can't fathom how one could think otherwise. lol. But yeah, I fucking hate myself for not letting my Extension teacher know it was her that made me drop it (not the "workload" excuse I made up), but I was so morally opposed to saying that even if it seemed perfect in an ideal world. I'm pretty sure my Advanced teacher (who I'm quite close to, and is also the head of English) knows that was a lie, because she's heard my rants about my Ext teacher on numerous occasions, so atleast there's that. But still. I seriously do not feel liberated at all.

I also feel so much fucking pressure from my major work, and it's weighing me down a lot. I can't find an adequate balance between study and major work and homework - I know I should be focusing more on major work atm because it's obviously due way earlier, but at the same time I feel like I wouldn't be studying enough at all for my "conventional" subjects, if you will. I definitely need to exert more energy into maths, because I've basically neglected it for the entirety of school. I feel like I've become complacent with it, and that's definitely not a good thing at all. The only subjects that I'm well and truly on top of, as I mentioned previously, are English Advanced and Legal. I've been putting a majority of my time towards economics recently, which is something that I'm proud of because it is by and large my weakest subject. However, I've found that I'm literally unable to concentrate during frees for some reason - all I do is fucking talk?? HAHAHAHA
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:22:11 pm by Lumenoria »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2018, 11:49:54 pm »
I feel like teachers seriously impact your performance and attitude towards your classes a LOT.

for sure. can definitely relate (really though, who can't?). it's a lot harder to stay motivated as well.

However, I've found that I'm literally unable to concentrate during frees for some reason - all I do is fucking talk??

sounds lame, but worked for me, is listening to classical music during frees as soon as you go in. any classical playlist on spotify is good. :-) classical isn't everyone's cup of tea (it wasn't mine, although i've played classical piano for a while), i encourage you to try it out. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW