Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:38:40 am

Author Topic: Preferences  (Read 1697 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Preferences
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:10:15 pm »
Okay I keep changing my mind on what I wanna do next year but at the moment I wanna do a Journalism/Law double degree type of course

At UTS the ATAR is 97.55, and I am not eligible for any bonus points or anything. At the moment I am looking to get an ATAR in the early 90s max as I already have three results from last year due to my school doing the HSC compacted.

At Macquarie, there are various ways for me to get into the course and I feel confident in doing so, including SRS and other schemes. The ATAR there is 96 but through the other ways I can get in it is very achievable to be accepted

My problem is I don't know what university to put as first preference and what as second. Overall the courses, unis etc. are pretty much equal for me, but do I put the UTS first just because it is a higher ATAR, even though it is practically impossible to obtain? Or will having macquarie second jeopordise my chances of getting in through their various schemes?

Heeeeelp!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:13:15 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: Preferences
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
+2
Okay I keep changing my mind on what I wanna do next year but at the moment I wanna do a Journalism/Law double degree type of course

At UTS the ATAR is 97.55, and I am not eligible for any bonus points or anything. At the moment I am looking to get an ATAR in the early 90s max as I already have three results from last year due to my school doing the HSC compacted.

At Macquarie, there are various ways for me to get into the course and I feel confident in doing so, including SRS and other schemes. The ATAR there is 96 but through the other ways I can get in it is very achievable to be accepted

My problem is I don't know what university to put as first preference and what as second. Overall the courses, unis etc. are pretty much equal for me, but do I put the UTS first just because it is a higher ATAR, even though it is practically impossible to obtain? Or will having macquarie second jeopordise my chances of getting in through their various schemes?

Heeeeelp!
Hi there =)

I would not pick a uni based on ATARs, but I would pick a uni based on the opportunities and programs that it has.

UTS has schemes such as SRS, EAS and the year 12 bonus point schemes too (just as Maq does). Keep UTS on the first pref. UTS is one of the top schools for journalism and many UTS students go on to work with large firms locally and globally.

As Elysee has mentioned, UTS is hands on, there's a great campus presence, good vibes and many societies.

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:32:14 pm »
I’m not eligible for SRS as I don’t qualify for EAS or E12 due to the school I go to, and there aren’t any bonus points for the degrees I wanna do :/

Is it worth putting it first when I will be getting an atar 6 units lower than what is required at the max?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 05:32:58 pm »
Hi there =)

I would not pick a uni based on ATARs, but I would pick a uni based on the opportunities and programs that it has.

UTS has schemes such as SRS, EAS and the year 12 bonus point schemes too (just as Maq does). Keep UTS on the first pref. UTS is one of the top schools for journalism and many UTS students go on to work with large firms locally and globally.

As Elysee has mentioned, UTS is hands on, there's a great campus presence, good vibes and many societies.

Above comment was in reply to this ^
HSC subjects

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:43:11 pm »
I’m not eligible for SRS as I don’t qualify for EAS or E12 due to the school I go to, and there aren’t any bonus points for the degrees I wanna do :/

Is it worth putting it first when I will be getting an atar 6 units lower than what is required at the max?

I see I see.  My apologies :).  I'm not sure whether it would jeopardize you.

In that case, I guess you can put maq 1st and then transfer universities some time down the track.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:44:47 pm by EEEEEEP »

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:55:45 pm »
Yeah good idea actually! Thank you, so many decisions!
HSC subjects

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:06:54 pm »
+5
Which course is your goal course? Like, whatever it is - put that one first, even if it has a higher ATAR than what you think you might get.

I think this was touched on in the new AN podcast, and has been said heaps of times across the forum - put down your preferences in order of what you want to do most :) Because, like, a) you might get a higher ATAR than what you're expecting, in which case, wicked!, but also b) even if you get a lower ATAR - it's not gonna stop you from getting offers from lower down on your preference list.

Each uni will independently decide whether they're gonna accept you for a course that's on your preference list, but you'll only get an offer for the course you get accepted into that's the highest. So like, you might get an offer for every single preference you put down, but you'll only get offered the one that's on top of your preference list, etc.

But like, say hypothetically, your dream course has a 95 ATAR. And the second course has an 80 ATAR. You decide that you're gonna put the 80 ATAR one down first, because you know you can get into it, but it's not actually the one you want to do the most. But, say you get a 96 ATAR. You've done enough to get an offer for that dream course, but if that 80 one is first, that's what you're gonna get the offer for!

Plus, as a side note, clearly ins can change around a fair bit :)

Hope this made some sense. Basically, just trying to say - order based on what you want to do the most.

All the best!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:22 pm »
+2
Which course is your goal course? Like, whatever it is - put that one first, even if it has a higher ATAR than what you think you might get.

I think this was touched on in the new AN podcast, and has been said heaps of times across the forum - put down your preferences in order of what you want to do most :) Because, like, a) you might get a higher ATAR than what you're expecting, in which case, wicked!, but also b) even if you get a lower ATAR - it's not gonna stop you from getting offers from lower down on your preference list.

Each uni will independently decide whether they're gonna accept you for a course that's on your preference list, but you'll only get an offer for the course you get accepted into that's the highest. So like, you might get an offer for every single preference you put down, but you'll only get offered the one that's on top of your preference list, etc.

But like, say hypothetically, your dream course has a 95 ATAR. And the second course has an 80 ATAR. You decide that you're gonna put the 80 ATAR one down first, because you know you can get into it, but it's not actually the one you want to do the most. But, say you get a 96 ATAR. You've done enough to get an offer for that dream course, but if that 80 one is first, that's what you're gonna get the offer for!

Plus, as a side note, clearly ins can change around a fair bit :)

Hope this made some sense. Basically, just trying to say - order based on what you want to do the most.

All the best!

Ohh I see!

I guess I should put the uts offer down first because if I don’t get into that I’ll be equally as happy getting into my second. Both are so equal for me so I don’t even know which one I’d wanna do more tbh!
HSC subjects