Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:07:54 am

Author Topic: Lost all motivation  (Read 7484 times)

Ineffable

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Lost all motivation
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:01:36 pm »
+4
I literally cannot study less than 3 weeks before the HSC. Well, at least not effectively. I studied for about an hour and a half this morning but it was futile. I don't even feel happy after studying. To be honest all it does is make me feel worse. I certainly wasn't ready for this especially after grad where I was so keen to start cramming. I have a job for next year which means the HSC has little impact on the year ahead but I have such high expectations of myself and it feels like others do too. I don't even want to work there but the opportunity of work-experience and financial stability so early is too valuable to let go. I know my lack of motivation will eventually pass but I don't exactly have time to wait this close to the start of exams. How can I motivate myself on a day-to-day basis?

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: Lost all motivation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:20:44 pm »
+18
I literally cannot study less than 3 weeks before the HSC. Well, at least not effectively. I studied for about an hour and a half this morning but it was futile. I don't even feel happy after studying. To be honest all it does is make me feel worse. I certainly wasn't ready for this especially after grad where I was so keen to start cramming. I have a job for next year which means the HSC has little impact on the year ahead but I have such high expectations of myself and it feels like others do too. I don't even want to work there but the opportunity of work-experience and financial stability so early is too valuable to let go. I know my lack of motivation will eventually pass but I don't exactly have time to wait this close to the start of exams. How can I motivate myself on a day-to-day basis?

First of all, Don’t panic . That is going to stress you out more and you don’t want that.
Okay, a few suggestions on what you have written here.
1.    Set a study plan/goal
-Write what you want to do on those study sessions and goals and just focus on them. Once that is done, celebrate . Then afterwards do more if you want.
-Do this up till the HSC.
-This works because you have a set purpose for studying, you aren’t doing it for the sake of studying. It hopefully motivates you as you can see some tangible progress being made for the HSC.

2.    Only care about your expectations
-I know this is hard to do, but the only expectations that should matter are your own .
-This seems difficult as you are surrounded by these expectations and feel guilty to not living up to them. That is fine, they aren’t you, so don't worry about it.
-What you should do is write down what you want and make sure to stick to them. Don’t let other people change them and if they don’t agree with them, so be it.
-I was in a similar situation in Year 11, when everyone believed I could do Maths Methods well and I knew I couldn’t. It generated massive amounts of stress, anxiety and ultimately nearly drove myself to death (no joke, it was that bad).

3.    Evaluate the job and your future 
-You say you don’t want the job, but can’t pass up the work-experience and financial stability.
-All I can say for this is, Work hard on the HSC and don’t worry about the job.
-The way I see it is the job is secured (I’m guessing). Don’t worry about it, focus on doing well on the HSC. As this can be another pathway if the work doesn’t work out.
-Don’t see your job as the only piece of work you will get because it won't be.
-I’m in a similar situation where I have no work experience to my name and I’m a first-year university student. So, don’t stress about it, you can always volunteer and work on side projects like I am currently doing.
-If your unsure what you want then write it down, be dreamy and imaginative. Just write it down and look it to see if this is what you want or not.

I hope this helps you out and if you feel like your going to a dark place. Don't be afraid to seek help from your teachers, they are there to help you and of course here on AN. :D
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Ineffable

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:16:22 pm »
+1
First of all, Don’t panic . That is going to stress you out more and you don’t want that.
Okay, a few suggestions on what you have written here.

I hope this helps you out and if you feel like your going to a dark place. Don't be afraid to seek help from your teachers, they are there to help you and of course here on AN. :D

Thanks so much for this! So nice to be part of such a positive community ;D The one thing I'm struggling with is rewarding myself after study. I'm currently alone at home which I'm usually fine with, but being in your room for 3 hours studying, getting something to eat, and then like watching a TV show as a reward seems to just exacerbate my feelings. Now, I know I'm probably just having a shit day but I still think I need to change how I go about my day between study. Does anyone know fun things to do even when friends are unavailable.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:50:58 pm »
+8
Thanks so much for this! So nice to be part of such a positive community ;D The one thing I'm struggling with is rewarding myself after study. I'm currently alone at home which I'm usually fine with, but being in your room for 3 hours studying, getting something to eat, and then like watching a TV show as a reward seems to just exacerbate my feelings. Now, I know I'm probably just having a shit day but I still think I need to change how I go about my day between study. Does anyone know fun things to do even when friends are unavailable.

You could try doing something productive, but like, besides study! Going for a run maybe, quick trip to the gym - Work on a hobby you might have, that sort of stuff! That way you still feel like you are doing stuff, but it is different stuff that will keep you in the groove and get you re-energised (maybe) ;D

liamwindeyer

• Adventurer
  • Jamon's Brother
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:44:28 pm »
+12
My Physics teacher always went on about how physical activity is great because it increases cognitive function and activity, meaning you will likely be more productive the next time you have a study chunk, so that supports THAT whole idea
As for 'rewards' to give yourself other than that, listening to music outside seems like a good idea; giving yourself a change of setting while you're having a jam along to whatever you wanna listen to. Tbf, that may just be a nice idea for me so ;D

And not to totally reshape everything, but changing the actual study habits may be able to help too. There's that whole Pomodoro Timer thing, as well as the 52 minutes of work/17 minutes of break method; which can help with managing your time. Granted these methods are meant to boost productivity, but that may make you feel better about it if you feel like you're getting more stuff done..? Also changing scenery of where you study is meant to help too, getting rid of that whole idea of monotony and consistantly being stuck in the same place... plus it also helps with remembering things

HOWEVER, at the end of the day, study the way that is best for you. If you aren't feeling it - stop, take a break, try again later. Even maybe start by trying something different; look up some course run-down videos, do some online quizzes on the topic, whatever best achieves the idea of balancing 'remembering information ' and 'being beneficial for yourself '. Because even small things like that is still being helpful, just in more subtle ways. Study for longer, study for shorter, study upside down - whatever you need to do! As long as you get through the info you need to get through in a timely manner, you'll be sweet

In summary - what Jamon and zofromuxo said are tops, so if you can shape that into your own way of studying that you're comfortable with, you're gonna smash it  :D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:46:08 pm »
+10
I was at a low for motivation yesterday, but what I have found to help is set weekly goals instead of daily goals

For instance, this week I had around 25 tasks I wanted to get done, some bigger than others. First thing I did was highlight the tasks that would take a long time in purple, a moderate amount of time in orange and a short time in green

Each morning I then choose roughly three to four tasks off the list, a mix of the three colours, for me to complete in that specific day. This helps my motivation as I’m more productive doing work I feel like doing, and I am actually ticking things off rather than leaving something I had planned for one day for the next like I used to!

I know everyone is different, but for me at least, not feeling as confined by having to have certain things done by the hour has helped keep motivation levels up. It probably has something to do with giving myself the ability to do what a feel, like yesterday I woke up wanting to do ext 1 English work, and today I woke up feeling like I wanted to do legal

It may sound a bit of nonsense but maybe try it out and you won’t feel so overwhelmed and as though you are ‘choosing’ what you do rather than feeling as though you’re forcing yourself to do things

Let me know what you think!
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:39:26 am »
+5

I think everyone has hit the point of losing motivation so don't worry you're definitely not alone :)
For me it was after trials where I felt like just giving up and redoing it the next year (accelerant) but I think it's important to set yourself a goal to work towards. Doesn't matter how high or lofty it is,  it's your motivation to complete this year. After all you have done 13 years of schooling, and this is your opportunity to show off to a bunch of old  grumpy  markers about how much you love discovery and how much it has been a transformative process that have enriched your worldview :)

First start with fixing up your notes. There are plenty of AN if you haven't gotten any yet (cough cough still haven't done my speeches notes rip).

Then make it relevant, and feel proud when you're memorising. You're learning about such amazing things and also English :) and it's in a way beautiful because this is your last high school exam. Find correlations. Like whenever I go around a roundabout I think of centrifugal motion haha and that has helped me to remember everything about it

If you're unsure about anything just ask anyone (the question threads are my life istg I've been using them relentlessly (sorry and thank you mods!))

But as everyone else has said, you're not alone and it's fine to feel like you're struggling. Because the hsc is a marathon not a sprint and people are going to struggle at different places. But we can finish it together :)

If you ever want to talk, I'm always here :)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
+2

i feel the same way. honestly i thought that after grad id be spending all day studying and id do nothing else. WELL clearly its not going that way. i study for a bit and then im like lets take a break which lasts for a few hours. and the fact the everyone else is studying is making me stressed out
ughhhhhh cant wait for these 7 weeks to be over. SO. OVER. HSC
ATAR Goal 90

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »
+6
i feel the same way. honestly i thought that after grad id be spending all day studying and id do nothing else. WELL clearly its not going that way. i study for a bit and then im like lets take a break which lasts for a few hours. and the fact the everyone else is studying is making me stressed out
I think like, one of the key things, is to not compare yourself to others. Every single person learns in a different way - so it stands to reason that everyone will also study differently. :) You've just gotta block everyone else out, and focus on yourself - after all, it's you who is doing your exams! You're not doing anyone else's, and noone else is doing your exams.
Just gotta chip away at it gradually - rather than thinking "oh, I need to summarise 5 chapters of Biology notes by the end of the week", think (for example) "by tonight, I want to have summarised half a chapter of notes". Break it down into achievable chunks. :)

I think, really, a key thing is starting. I always struggle with starting study, but when I'm into it, I'm usually fine - and I think this is the case for a lot of people. Sometimes, you've just sort of got to bite the bullet, put your phone away (and put it on silent!), put your laptop away if you don't need it (and make sure you put them somewhere where you'd need to get up to get them), make sure you have your study space set up, and just get started on something small. Then, once you've started and achieved something, you feel a whole lot better about it, and you'll be happy to keep on going! Plus, once you're into it, it's so much easier to have the self-discipline to keep on going even if there's a voice in your head telling you to stop, send a few snapchats, etc etc.

Maybe like, also ask yourself, "why am I not studying right now?" - is it because you're getting distracted by your phone/social media/whatever? Is it because you're not studying in the best way? Is it because you're anxious? Like, do a bit of introspection, figure out the cause behind it, and then you can address that :)

Also, like, just want to make a note - it's important to have a balance between study and leisure. Don't expect yourself to be studying the whole time - it's unrealistic, and probably not that good for you (don't want to burn out!). Make sure you have something you enjoy to do when you're not studying.

So like, in the end, you just sort of have to think about what studying will achieve for you. Because like, if you put in the hard yards now, they're gonna pay off on results day, and you'll feel good about it. Short term pain for long term gain ;)

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 12:54:12 pm »
I think like, one of the key things, is to not compare yourself to others. Every single person learns in a different way - so it stands to reason that everyone will also study differently. :) You've just gotta block everyone else out, and focus on yourself - after all, it's you who is doing your exams! You're not doing anyone else's, and noone else is doing your exams.
Just gotta chip away at it gradually - rather than thinking "oh, I need to summarise 5 chapters of Biology notes by the end of the week", think (for example) "by tonight, I want to have summarised half a chapter of notes". Break it down into achievable chunks. :)

I think, really, a key thing is starting. I always struggle with starting study, but when I'm into it, I'm usually fine - and I think this is the case for a lot of people. Sometimes, you've just sort of got to bite the bullet, put your phone away (and put it on silent!), put your laptop away if you don't need it (and make sure you put them somewhere where you'd need to get up to get them), make sure you have your study space set up, and just get started on something small. Then, once you've started and achieved something, you feel a whole lot better about it, and you'll be happy to keep on going! Plus, once you're into it, it's so much easier to have the self-discipline to keep on going even if there's a voice in your head telling you to stop, send a few snapchats, etc etc.

Maybe like, also ask yourself, "why am I not studying right now?" - is it because you're getting distracted by your phone/social media/whatever? Is it because you're not studying in the best way? Is it because you're anxious? Like, do a bit of introspection, figure out the cause behind it, and then you can address that :)

Also, like, just want to make a note - it's important to have a balance between study and leisure. Don't expect yourself to be studying the whole time - it's unrealistic, and probably not that good for you (don't want to burn out!). Make sure you have something you enjoy to do when you're not studying.

So like, in the end, you just sort of have to think about what studying will achieve for you. Because like, if you put in the hard yards now, they're gonna pay off on results day, and you'll feel good about it. Short term pain for long term gain ;)

everything youre saying mkaes sense, thanks for the advice:)
ATAR Goal 90

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 01:06:53 pm »
+3
I feel the same way, also I 'm starting to get really cynical about the HSC in general and the whole testing system.
But the way I keep going is by reminding myself that it is literally 1 to 2 months of my life which is a very small amount. It may seem like giving up and not doing anything is the best option but honestly you will regret it once you get your marks back and they aren't what you expected.
Another thing I find useful is listening to music at the beginning of a study block, I find that this kinda tricks my brain into thinking that I am going to have fun for the next few hours and actually makes studying a lot easier. I then turn off the music once I'm back into the study mood. Give it a go  ;D

Hope that helps!
Good luck! :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:32 pm »
+1
I feel the same way, also I 'm starting to get really cynical about the HSC in general and the whole testing system.
But the way I keep going is by reminding myself that it is literally 1 to 2 months of my life which is a very small amount. It may seem like giving up and not doing anything is the best option but honestly you will regret it once you get your marks back and they aren't what you expected.
Another thing I find useful is listening to music at the beginning of a study block, I find that this kinda tricks my brain into thinking that I am going to have fun for the next few hours and actually makes studying a lot easier. I then turn off the music once I'm back into the study mood. Give it a go  ;D

Hope that helps!
Good luck! :D

this seems like a pretty good tactic actually:)
ATAR Goal 90

bundahboy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:50 pm »
+1

This totally used to be me! I used to be the most unproductive person at studying cos i could never get into a rhythm when i was taking breaks to get food, watch tv, etc. Not sure if this might work for you but I find that going somewhere like a university library that is empty and silent makes you a lot more efficient. It pretty much forces you to work since there's nothing else to do there  :)
2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

Daniyahasan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »
+1
This totally used to be me! I used to be the most unproductive person at studying cos i could never get into a rhythm when i was taking breaks to get food, watch tv, etc. Not sure if this might work for you but I find that going somewhere like a university library that is empty and silent makes you a lot more efficient. It pretty much forces you to work since there's nothing else to do there  :)
thats so true, and you see all the other hsc kids studying so youre like "damn i gotta pull up my game if i wanna get get results". i actually did go to the libarary for 2 days but then today i was like ill stay home and study and i got NOTHING done. So tommorow library it is :)
ATAR Goal 90

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »
My advice is to honestly just try your best. You don't have to study 8 hours a day, in order to gain the best results. Sometimes 4 or 5 hours (with breaks!!) a day is the best option, I know it is for me.
It's literally only 6-7 weeks of your life, it'll be over before you know it!
Good luck in the HSC and smash it!  ;)