Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:43:07 am

Author Topic: Next month, it's five years since...  (Read 4615 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Next month, it's five years since...
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:31:51 pm »
+8

This speech.

In my view, a still highly pertinent speech covering some very serious and impactful issues. IMO Gillard should still be PM, but that's an unrelated issue.

I just want people who haven't listened to this speech to do so - that's really the main point of this thread.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:38:03 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Joseph41

• Administrator
Re: Next month, it's five years since...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:39:25 pm »
+4
hahah ofc you would :P

It's an excellent speech.

There's a really great chapter on the impact of Gillard's femaleness on her public image published in her autobiography. Obviously too long to replicate here, but here are some words specifically on the speech above. These are taken out of context; I highly recommend reading Gillard's autobiography in full, but I hope this adds a little to the video.

Quote from: Julia Gillard
On this day, getting ready, I was fired up. I do not normally think in swearwords but my mind was shouting, For fuck's sake, after all the shit I have put up with, now I have to listen to Abbott lecturing me on sexism. For fuck's sake!

When I took my seat in the House of Representatives, instead of facing a barrage of questions on hypocrisy as I had expected, Tony Abbott immediately moved a motion to remove Peter Slipper as speaker. While he spoke, I gathered my thoughts for my response, listing keywords in the order I wanted to put my arguments. Because my handwriting is almost completely illegible, sometimes even to me, when I looked at the notes, I decided the writing was too scrappy and that I had a few more thoughts. I rewrote the list, adding to it.

That speech brought me the reputation of being the one who was brave enough to name sexism and misogyny. And it brought with it all the baggage that stops women naming sexism and misogyny when they see it: I was accused of playing the gender card, of playing the victim. Dumb, trite arguments that entirely miss the point.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:10:35 pm by Joseph41 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:13:51 pm »
+1
It's an excellent speech.

There's a really great chapter on the impact of Gillard's femaleness on her public image published in her autobiography. Obviously too long to replicate here, but here are some words specifically on the speech above. These are taken out of context; I highly recommend reading Gillard's autobiography in full, but I hope this adds a little to the video.

I'm going to read her autobiography, I think! My nana loved it. What's it like to read, Nick?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:25:46 pm »
Hugely important speech and probably the defining moment in her political career. One of the very few opportunities that she sought to project her own voice on the national stage and certainly a point that all made us think "wow she's great".

Not sure I agree her biography is worth it though. I didn't really feel it revealed a lot and to me just felt like another staged production in the war against Kevin Rudd. That it perpetuates this whole "nah mate I didn't want the PMship until the night of and Rudd was really bad but had to go but I never told him because lol but definitely didn't want to be PM" also shits me to no end.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 08:52:30 pm »
+4
Can you lend me the book, Joseph?

I love this speech. It actually got me a best friend!

My school was Prep to 12, and there was one girl who always got dragged into advancement classes in primary school with me, and we were almost arch rivals until mid Year 12.

After this speech, I basically fangirled around the school asking who'd seen it, my nemesis at the time hadn't, so I emailed her a link (legit not even on Facebooking terms) and turned best buds from there.

❤️JG. Bringing people together since 2012.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 09:06:29 pm »
+1
Get in the queue, Brenden

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »
+1

This speech.

In my view, a still highly pertinent speech covering some very serious and impactful issues. IMO Gillard should still be PM, but that's an unrelated issue.

I just want people who haven't listened to this speech to do so - that's really the main point of this thread.

Enjoy!
It's a good speech, but I don't think it's better than any other speeches in the past.

Each era had it's own issues that made the speeches at the time, special and impactful.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
Yeah, great speech.

pls don't skin me alive Nick
Skimmed the autobiography at the library due to Nick's recommendation, wasn't impressed and didn't bother with a full read... I'm afraid I can't properly appreciate politics or JG.  I feel like this is a really ignorant comment, but I'm personally drawn to charismatic, warm, caring, idealistic and friendly leaders - never anger, nastiness, name-calling,
dominance, harshness, control, ego.  That's why I love Trump so much. :)
#feminine #toofeminine #waytoofeminineheidigetagriplol
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:14:39 pm »
+5
Additional fact: did I mention that JG signed my copy of her autobiography?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 04:40:02 pm »
+2
I'm going to read her autobiography, I think! My nana loved it. What's it like to read, Nick?

I really enjoyed it. Gillard's one of my favourite politicians, so perhaps skewed, but yeah, I enjoyed it.

Hugely important speech and probably the defining moment in her political career. One of the very few opportunities that she sought to project her own voice on the national stage and certainly a point that all made us think "wow she's great".

Not sure I agree her biography is worth it though. I didn't really feel it revealed a lot and to me just felt like another staged production in the war against Kevin Rudd. That it perpetuates this whole "nah mate I didn't want the PMship until the night of and Rudd was really bad but had to go but I never told him because lol but definitely didn't want to be PM" also shits me to no end.

I get what you're saying re: war with Rudd etc. I don't know if that devalues the book, though; I think her insight is pretty interesting. But yeah, each to their own!

Get in the queue, Brenden

Ya. Currently re-reading because the first time was for uni and I couldn't enjoy it fully. But after that, certainly.

It's a good speech, but I don't think it's better than any other speeches in the past.

Each era had it's own issues that made the speeches at the time, special and impactful.

Could you elaborate here? Obviously subjective, but no better than any other speech in the past is a pretty big call!

Yeah, great speech.

pls don't skin me alive Nick
Skimmed the autobiography at the library due to Nick's recommendation, wasn't impressed and didn't bother with a full read... I'm afraid I can't properly appreciate politics or JG.  I feel like this is a really ignorant comment, but I'm personally drawn to charismatic, warm, caring, idealistic and friendly leaders - never anger, nastiness, name-calling,
dominance, harshness, control, ego.  That's why I love Trump so much. :)
#feminine #toofeminine #waytoofeminineheidigetagriplol

As above, each to their own! What gives you the impression that Gillard is/was angry, nasty, dominant, harsh etc., though?

Additional fact: did I mention that JG signed my copy of her autobiography?

How could you not love it after that? ;) Hahaha.