Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:59:39 pm

Author Topic: Wait Prelims are over? Existential Crises and More  (Read 6249 times)

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
  • It`s not a day without an existential crisis or tw
  • Respect: +19
Wait Prelims are over? Existential Crises and More
« on: August 31, 2017, 09:56:29 pm »
+10
Hi y'all! I don't think many here have seen my face around much, and I donnae think many will here but if you do, hey again! I'm Lollzza and I'm just finishing up my Preliminary year. I hope to update weekly, since I;m not usually exciting enough for daily updates but we'll see!

The Journey So far *insert cool theme music*
  • SO I thought taking 14 units in grade ten would be a good idea. My subjects to date are: 3U English, 3U Math, Biology, IPT, Modern History and Legal Studies.
  • It was not a good idea and I plan on dropping ext math straight after prelims, along with legal studies. I do plan on picking up ext 2 english though.
  • Experiencing a bit of a burnout but I'm gradually coming back from it in time for exams. Lost my motivation for a while but i went to the Uni of Melbourne for Open Day (shoutout to any other students who went!) and realised I'm not gonna be able to achieve what I want without hella lot of assistance.
  • My goal for HSC is an ATAR of 99.90 and major in Psychology at UOM. Which seems rather like a pipe dream, I'm aware but I really really need that Melbourne Chancellor's scholarship.

Prelim students feel free to hit me up! Or anyone really, I'm always up for a chat. :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:29:16 pm by Lollzza »
HSC 2018: Who knows at this point

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Prelims? HSC? Gerard Way is 40? Existential Crises and More
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:27:15 am »
+7
YAAAAS! We actually get to follow your whole Year 12 :D
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:48 am »
+6
^Super exciting! :D Welcome aboard, Lollzza. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:55:49 pm »
+5
Day 2--Gerard Way is still 40. I am still not okay.

My exams start next week and I'm not stressed which is a sure sign I'm stuffed. We're not getting a paper 2 for English though? Teacher said there was no point since the syllabus is changing so much and they didn't want to write it.

I'm not complaining to be honest. I am rather worried about my math exam but it should be okay? I think I've already decided not to care too much since I've gotten good marks all year in all my subjects (apart from IPT but group assessments grrr). And I think I'm just ready to move on ahaha.

I walked away from this for like ten minutes and now I've no idea what I was talking about! Guess that's all ahah!

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:59:29 pm »
+5
Today was Father's Day and I spent it sort of studying. Who thought to put prelims the week in front of Father's Day? I personally don't have good enough a relationship with my dad to care but I know other people are cut up about it. Strangely relaxed still which is making me even more stressed.

TBH I feel as though English will be easy as long as I can figure out a template for my creative. We're only doing Paper 1 so I suppose that's why it's alright. I have a full mark essay from term one on the same topic soooo I'm just modifying that and taking the quotations. Very willing to put it lower in my priorities since its my second best subject (below English Ext)
 Math is whoops trig is a thing but at this stage I don't have it in me to care too much. More focused on learning the content than studying if that makes sense? I'd prefer to be ready for year 12 than learn wrong while cramming for prelims. Differentiation and I are still awkward friends.
Biology is pretty ace. I know my content pretty much, or I know enough to seem like I know (which does wonders sometimes). Also my rank is secured since my teacher told me someone would have to score over 30% more in the exam to get ahead of me.
English Extension is...well, I'm not stressed. But I also only have two texts ready. Sort of not enthused with the other two and found them pretty boring to study as Gothic texts when they should really be more crime. But I have an average of 100% percent in English Ext lol so its not gonna hurt my grades too badly if i fall into the eighties.
Math Extension: Dropping the day after the exam so who caaaaares. Just want proof I've done it on my preliminary record and the fact I was topping there for a while despite my friend being a math genius. She's topping now by like a percent but shes gonna go way above me for the exam. Oh wells.
IPT is my jam and a lot of it is common sense really. I know my COASPTD in and out so I think that's pretty much all the content he's testing us on + our first unit of the design process.
Legal is another subject I'm dropping but its probably my third highest in terms of marks. Sad to see it go but I can't handle so many units either. Its a shame but our teacher is also too lenient with us so we're gonna be so unprepared for the HSC anyway. We were only a class of seven but I hope enough people stay she doesn't lose her class. Shes a sweet lady.
Modern History: AHHhhh the end of the road here. Love Modern but my marks have taken bit of a tumble with my Investigation. I mean my log book is shit lol so I don't blame her. We have had an intern teaching us this term for Modern and English and isnt that a bit of dick move to put on seniors? Like shes a cool lady but she doesn't know her subject matter. I spent a period educating our class on the Italo-Turk war which she'd never heard of--despite teaching us the World at the Beginning of the Century. Don't wanna be too hard on her but it's just really frustrating when they don't know something so relevant to the course.

So all in all! Stuff prelims i am looking forward to year 12 and trying to not land myself in hospital in the meanwhile ahaha.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »
+5
Prelims start tomorrow! . . .
Still not stressed??

So I'm probably gonna fail??

Or maybe I'm just going through an existential crisis and think all life is meaningless right now. English first up and I've got all my quotations and analysis + a creative template so idk how much more i could do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:13 pm »
+3
You sound super prepared!! Best of luck, I bet you'll smash it ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:41:34 am »
+2
Prelims start tomorrow! . . .
Still not stressed??

So I'm probably gonna fail??

Or maybe I'm just going through an existential crisis and think all life is meaningless right now. English first up and I've got all my quotations and analysis + a creative template so idk how much more i could do?

Not being stressed isn't inherently a bad thing. To be honest, I felt pretty relaxed going into my final exams! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:31:48 pm »
+4
Prelims over and these were my results:

English Advanced--91%
Mathematics--77%
Biology--78%
Modern History--84%
IPT--85%
Legal Studies--93%
English Ext--88%

Haven't got math ext, but I don't want it either haha. Not really satisfied with any of them, but I know I can improve them for next year/next term. So wooooah I'm about to be in year twelve.

Like wooahhh

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:41 pm »
+2
This looks like a really great set of results to me, awesome building point for Year 12 ;D congrats on finishing Year 11!! ;D

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »
+4
Thanks jamon!

Well, my ranks for the whole year are apparently:
Eng Adv: 1/23
Mathematics: 2/21
Biology: 1/30
IPT: 2~/12
Modern: 1/13
Eng Ext: 1/2 (eughh 2 person classes are the worst you feel so bad when you do better)
Math Ext: 2/10
Legal Studies: 1/7

So I guess I should focus more on ranks ahah. I don't think I tried to hard on Math, Legal or IPT honestly because they were too late for me to find anymore energy. English I'm honestly aiming for 95+ for all assessments at least, the same going for Biology. I'm going to definitely pick it up next year to make things easier for me in the long run. :)

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:25:47 pm »
+5
Officially finished year 11!

Existential crisis incoming.

It didn't finish too well thanks to English. An intern has been teaching us all term (which I don't really agree with for senior years personally) and on Thursday, our second last lesson, we did a creative exercise. She gave us a starting sentence and we wrote four after it before passing it on to someone else.

So, of course, some of them took the opportunity to write horrible things. I knew some of it but I didn't personally read (or contribute to) any of them.

Intern heard everyone laughing, saying how gross it all was and did nothing. Instead, she collected them and gave them to our English teacher. Without telling us beforehand. Like, I'm honestly disgusted with both the people who wrote it AND her. She let it keep going and get worse and worse and instead went running to our actual teacher (who doesn't sit in with us and I haven't seen properly for like a term). And I'm like okay maybe you could've for starters, dealt with it. Then if it was that bad then...demand she read it and then pass those on?? Like blindsiding us is not how you teach. Be upfront and maybe we will be too.

I thought he was a pretty cool guy, my English teacher but he's been so weird lately and cold to us, even before this. Me and some of the others in my class have him for homeroom too and he doesn't come to that either. So any bond I've had with him is just sorta  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But basically what happened is he came in, yelled at ALL of us, despite knowing who screwed up and said he's gonna be on our asses next term. And I held quite a deal of respect for him so when someone you respect yells at you, even though its not your fault, it gets to you. But since then I've just been angry really. He didn't come to talk to us for our final homeroom meeting in the afternoon, and instead came to the whole house meeting just so we could applaud the intern as it was her last day.

The more I write the more I feel wronged ahaha. It turned out more of a rant but that is how the first period of my last day of year eleven went :) Other than that it was a rather good day, especially IPT where we just played Doom 2 together over a server the IDT kids made.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
Re: Wait Prelims are over? Existential Crises and More
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 08:38:36 pm »
+3
I'm wasting my holidays awaaaay. I did get to go to the TiNA festival yesterday for a bit but I really wanted to spend my weekend just hanging around it. Also painted our entire common room this week. I got paint places there shouldn't have been paint like how.

Man this journal has already degenerated I need to get back to writing paragraphs.

Still eugh over IPT and History Extension. Is two major works too much like ahhhh. But Alexander Hamilton is calling to me from the ten dollar bill in my drawer.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
+3
Still eugh over IPT and History Extension. Is two major works too much like ahhhh. But Alexander Hamilton is calling to me from the ten dollar bill in my drawer.

Hey there! I did two majors during my HSC year and I was perfectly fine. It is definitely possible to do two at once (even though it's not recommended). But its so worth it. It was so fun working on two projects and see how much you can push yourself beyond your limits. You have this creative freedom that is beyond your school's assessments. Especially with a great combination of prac and theory majors, you will certainly create the best project and essay ever. You just need to be good with your time management.

I'm not sure with what IPT entails but you can read all about History Extension in Susie's guide and Katie's guide. You can also check out my guide on how to manage your majors during your hsc year.

If you need any more help, we're all here!!!

( make the ten dollar founding father without a father proud  ;) )
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Lollzza

• Forum Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 11:02:07 pm »
( make the ten dollar founding father without a father proud  ;) )

No my ultimate kryptonite--Hamilton references! I'm Helpless!

But thanks for the reassurance! I'm mostly worried because the other major work I'd be doing is English Extension 2, though I can't see how those Major Works would do anything but help me come exam time since creative and essay practise y'know? Though people do Visual Arts with Drama and I'm like y'all c r a z y. I've never met someone who actually thinks they had enough time for their major work in VA.

But yeah, HAMILTON. IPT is a subject where it's fun but I'm not gonna rank one and I'm like since I like both subjects that should be the next priority down? I'm wondering if its okay to take 13 units just for like term 4 to make sure i enjoy it. Since I don't want to be caught with 10 units.

Maaaaath amirite :')