Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:58 pm

Author Topic: Bianca3016's VCE Journal  (Read 31450 times)

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
Re: Bianca3016's VCE Journal
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2017, 12:10:21 am »
+4
Ahhh, passion for subjects. +1 on that idea, if you can keep up it alive no matter what you'll do well. I recall going to Economics 3/4 and losing it till a month before the exam, it really lifts you up when you have and bring you down when you don't. But then again, most of us in VCE had stuff we didn't like and look forward to doing stuff we cared about or what someone else cares about :P.

Also I doubt your peers forget you defying the stereotypes at all, they could just be use it to blow off steam and may even be threatened by you defying it. But indulging them doesn't help your case either. I also think that many people in Year 12 maintain this image/facade they project to others, but deep down are going through the same struggles as you in worrying about study scores, subjects, what to do after VCE, what are my passions, the future, etc. So do keep that in mind, that someone somewhere can be fighting something inside that doesn't mainfest on the outside.

I can say that because I did that for up till Year 12, pretending everything was fine on the outside, joking about my marks, saying ATARs was meaningless to me. But when I was alone. I would worry excessively over my ATAR, study score, do I do a gap year or university, what are my pathways, what do I want in life, etc. 

But if anything, use their jokes to motivate you to prove them wrong and reach your goals. I wish you the best on achieving your dream and good luck for the Biology exams.

Ah! Economics, that would be difficult to get back on track with :0 -- I've spoken to past students and it seems like everyone gets motivated ~1 month before the exam for subjects they've been bored with the entire year haha I remember in past years all the older students were like "choose subjects you really enjoy" and it's finally setting in haha

And yeah I 100% agree with you.
Thanks for the good luck! :D
2017; Biology
2018; Accounting, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Further Mathematics

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »
+7
First week of term four has come and gone faster than the speed of light.
It was a lot less stressful than I'd imagined, but the approaching bio exam is beginning to haunt my every thought. I wrote this on another board, but I seem to be more stressed out by the thought of practise exams than I am by the actual exam. I'm scared of knowing what I don't know, I'd prefer to be kept in the dark. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Over the holidays, I was given a huge economics task that was meant to be due today so my partner and I worked really hard to finish it, and the teacher turned around and gave everyone a two week extension... ahhh!!! You see, some people would be delighted by this but I have a track record of only doing well on things I finish last minute (failing tests I study for far in advance, acing SACs I don't prepare for, scoring average marks on SACs I do prepare for, and placing in the top 5 students in the country for a history project I started at 1am the morning it was due... you see?) Now my eco assignment is jinxed!

Maths - I was pumped for the latest test (on Thurs). I even did the chapter review (something I can never be bothered doing) and wrote proper notes in lieu of relying on my usual handwritten scraps... But of course, because of my preparation, I ended up doing rather badly (I'd like to believe it had more to do with my printer failing to actually print the formulas on my notes, rather than my anti-procrastination-curse).
Chem - My group for the water purification task and I did a distillation today and it was really fun, I even stayed behind after school to finish it because I enjoyed it so much (with the exception of the huge cleanup because our science lab taps are not designed for science labs haha).
Eng Lang - We're writing another essay (3rd of the year, I'm worried about how well prepped we are for next year?) soon, which I'm kind of looking forward to. Dead languages make for lively conversations.  :P
2017; Biology

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2017, 07:58:33 am »
+2
Dead languages make for lively conversations.

Amazing. Love that.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 11:00:20 pm »
+6
Sooo bio's over.
I'm so scared. I've never failed an exam, but I'm pretty sure I just did.
My test, assignment, and exam grades have been rolling downhill as of late and I'm so scared because I just don't know what to do - I've never been in such a position.
Oh God.

Otherwise, I'm so happy it's over because I truly hated that subject in the end. Evolution is a waste of time, honestly.
2017; Biology

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 11:50:38 pm »
+4
Sooo bio's over.
My test, assignment, and exam grades have been rolling downhill as of late and I'm so scared because I just don't know what to do - I've never been in such a position.
Oh God.

Otherwise, I'm so happy it's over because I truly hated that subject in the end. Evolution is a waste of time, honestly.
Don't stress! It's out of your hands now :) If you gave it a red hot crack, there's nothing more that you could have done, so now you just have to put it in the back of your mind.
And I think we all tend to be really critical of ourselves after exams and can only focus on the things we may not have done well. I know I'm guilty of this lol, and things usually end up turning out just fine.

If you're concerned about how you're going, maybe have a chat to your year level coordinator! Best to get ahead of it :) And if it's specifically related to Bio - maybe it'll be cathartic to have a debrief with your Bio teacher?

But yeah, in the end - just celebrate Bio being done! I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 08:49:05 am »
+5
Sooo bio's over.
Oh God.

I wouldn't stress about failing Biology. 
Why?
Because even if you did you still have next year to make up for it.
I would instead take doing Biology as a learning experience on doing a 3/4.
What did I do well? What didn't I do well? What can I improve for next year?

As you have alluded to below you didn't like the subject anyway so that might be one point of feedback you can use doing your 3/4 next year ;D.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2017, 09:47:44 am »
+6
Sooo bio's over.
Oh God.

This sounds similar to my experience with Chinese last year. Throughout the year, I just began to hate Chinese and I stopped enjoying it. I ended up with a pretty trashy study score and basically failed it. I went through the weeks of depression, but I eventually got better. I felt like failing Chinese was a learning experience and has allowed me to review the things I did badly last year and improve upon it. We can’t do anything about the past because it’s over. But, we can change the future. You may not have failed as badly as you think you have, but if you do end up with a score you’re unsatisfied with, try your very best to improve and learn from this experience. Failing a subject isn’t the end of the world. It’s only when a person allows this failure to negatively influence them that it becomes a bad thing. I guess that you should have a break, relax and then after you’ve regained motivation, you should try to think about what to do next and how you would do better next year. Personally, I’m hoping that I wreck my own upcoming exams so I can give you a failure to success story and prove to myself that I can in fact do well.

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
+4
Don't stress! It's out of your hands now :) If you gave it a red hot crack, there's nothing more that you could have done, so now you just have to put it in the back of your mind.
And I think we all tend to be really critical of ourselves after exams and can only focus on the things we may not have done well. I know I'm guilty of this lol, and things usually end up turning out just fine.

If you're concerned about how you're going, maybe have a chat to your year level coordinator! Best to get ahead of it :) And if it's specifically related to Bio - maybe it'll be cathartic to have a debrief with your Bio teacher?

But yeah, in the end - just celebrate Bio being done! I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I think that it being out of my hands is the scariest part. I've come to terms with me not being able to do anything to improve the outcome, but I'm still really upset at myself over it. What has helped, however, is focusing on my other subjects and making sure I'm ready to work really hard over summer and next year so that my other 5 subjects can make up for a bad bio score.
I think one of the worst things to do after an exam is talk to people about answers and read the suggested answers on forums and fb/etc. - that's what stressed me out the most.
And thanks for the advice, I'll definitely go and have a chat to the coordinators and teachers (and bio teacher... maybe haha)

I wouldn't stress about failing Biology. 
Why?
Because even if you did you still have next year to make up for it.
I would instead take doing Biology as a learning experience on doing a 3/4.
What did I do well? What didn't I do well? What can I improve for next year?

As you have alluded to below you didn't like the subject anyway so that might be one point of feedback you can use doing your 3/4 next year ;D.

I've been thinking about this since my last post and you're 100% right in that way of thinking, thank you! It's calmed me down a lot thinking about next year and knowing what I know about the 3/4 content now will be great for the 3/4s I'm doing in yr12.
And yup - at least I'm looking forward to next year's subjects a little more at least haha

This sounds similar to my experience with Chinese last year. Throughout the year, I just began to hate Chinese and I stopped enjoying it. I ended up with a pretty trashy study score and basically failed it. I went through the weeks of depression, but I eventually got better. I felt like failing Chinese was a learning experience and has allowed me to review the things I did badly last year and improve upon it. We can’t do anything about the past because it’s over. But, we can change the future. You may not have failed as badly as you think you have, but if you do end up with a score you’re unsatisfied with, try your very best to improve and learn from this experience. Failing a subject isn’t the end of the world. It’s only when a person allows this failure to negatively influence them that it becomes a bad thing. I guess that you should have a break, relax and then after you’ve regained motivation, you should try to think about what to do next and how you would do better next year. Personally, I’m hoping that I wreck my own upcoming exams so I can give you a failure to success story and prove to myself that I can in fact do well.

(except failing a subject is the end of my parents world, so they'll try to end mine too haha)
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to hearing the failure to success story, so good luck in the rest of your exams!
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:51 pm »
+4
I'm finally entering the last stretch of term four, which is super chill (not many exams, woo!) - this has sparked some emotion because I've realised it's the last summer holidays I'll have as a high school student. Damn, time flies.
I've got 3 chem exams, an eco speech, and an eco test then I'm done - and the best part? I'm looking forward to all 5 assessments. Also did an englang essay today which was okay - I wrote very 'averagely' so that I'd get marks for structure but I definitely prefer my more creative essays, so it was a shame to have to sacrifice that. One of my goals for next year will be to incorporate both creativity and proper format into one essay.
This week is back to the usual craziness, at last. Working this afternoon, rowing tomorrow, volleyball and work on Wednesday, tennis Thursday, and Grey's Anatomy Friday, and comp tennis Saturday - The hectic routine keeps me in line, which is exactly what I need right now.
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2017, 10:00:48 am »
+5
Last day of year 11 yesterday...
I'm excited for 2018, albeit being a little nervous because it's the last year. I started chem tutoring for yr12 content which is good - I'd like a >40 at least.
There has been an issue with my subjects, and I was put into physics in lieu of accounting but it (fingers crossed) will hopefully be sorted out soon. It's not optimal, though, seeming as I was guaranteed accounting since they cancelled PE a few months ago.
Anywayyy
Merry Christmas & happy studying
2017; Biology

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2017, 10:11:07 am »
+2
^That's annoying. Do they not have enough for Accounting?

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
^That's annoying. Do they not have enough for Accounting?

Nope, they've got two accounting classes. One of the deputies (who was looking after my subjects when PE was cancelled) and headmaster didn't put accounting down in the timetable program so now that the deputy has retired, it has become my problem to fix. And apparently the only class I can go into is full.
The year level coordinator is working with me to solve it at least, but it's just such a pain >.<
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »
+4
Holidays are great, but not when they're the summer holidays before year 12.
Today I got my bio study score. I was honestly expecting the absolute worst, seeming as I hated the subject with a passion by ~term 3, and I thought that I had failed the exam (no practise exams because I hated bio so much).
GA1 - B+
GA2 - A
GA3 - B
So yeah I did fluke the exam, but it makes me think what I could've acheived if I actually did the practise exams. Also, how much I'm looking forward to next year because if I can get those average scores on a subject I hated, imagine the subjects I love.

I've been going through the chem 3/4 course and it actually looks okay - my tutor teaches it really well too, which helps - and I'm going back to school in a week's time for a small accounting introduction because I didn't do units 1 and 2.
Speaking of accounting, I finally made it into the class (took long enough, ey?).
My other 3 subjects (eco, eng lang, and maths have assigned holiday homework and I think that will be an adequate headstart into the 3/4 course - I think it is a waste of time studying the entire course for every subject).

The fact that, this time next year, I'm going to be finished school scares me a lot. I'm going to uni, obviously, but I'm not ready to grow up.
I've been thinking about my medicine dream (the decade-old one) and I'm considering doing undergrad med and then postgrad business so that I can go into the business side of med. My father is very business-y and my mother's all about medicine and science (lots of degrees to live up to) and they both own businesses, so the influence of both studies has finally made me think about career options that aren't surgery, surgery, and surgery. Kind of sucks that I'm having such revelations this late in the game, though.

I hope everyone got the study scores and/or atars they were hoping for <3
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 09:50:21 pm »
+8
4th of Feb, 2018
wowow time flies hey
Here are the official subjects I'm doing this year + brief thoughts:
Accounting: love it, kind of difficult to catch up on, being one of only three non-U1/2-ers, but my teacher is absolutely amazing and the subject is so fun that I love studying it
Chemistry: I wasn't a fan of this last year because of my teacher but I have one of my favourite teachers this year which means I'm more motivated to do well + I have a lot of support from her. A lot of people complain about her teaching methods but they suit me well, so I'm thrilled.
Economics: My teacher is very passionate about eco + loves teaching it (and is v. good at teaching it too) so I'm in good hands, but oh boy is this looking like my hardest subject this year - the content is c r a z y
English Language: So you know how I loved it last year? ITS EVEN BETTER THIS YEAR!! My school has some sort of issue with getting and keeping English/Lit/Lang teachers, so we have yet another new teacher and he is honestly the most amazing englang teacher I could've asked for -- he knows what he is talking about, is enthusiastic about the subject w/o being over-the-top or boring, and is more than happy to give me extra work/tests/info/etc. I'm so excited for this year in englang
Mathematics: Exactly the same as 2017 (same teacher, classroom, textbook, schemes of work, legit everything) but I really enjoyed this subject last year so I'm glad - maths has been taught the same since year 5 too, so having a subject to keep me grounded is fabulous

In lieu of med, after having taken eco last year (bc of my maths tutor's suggestion and my desperation for any other subject), I'm leaning towards business in uni. I'd love to work in a medical tech/research company (I'm talking Intuitive Surgical kinda thing), so whether I take the science or business route, I'm not sure. I also love languages to the moon and back, so if I could do a double degree in science and arts (arts major being a language) I'd be thrilled.
This year I'm keeping up rowing, tennis, and volleyball (legend is if you listen close enough you can hear my parent's disappointment in me from where you are), and tutoring maths + working in an accounting firm. My plan of attack for year 12 is to keep myself so busy that when I get home I have no choice but to study, but also to keep my love for all of my subjects up so that they never become arduous to study for.

Bring it on, 2018.
2017; Biology

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 08:40:37 am »
+2
I'm so glad you're feeling the EngLang feels. ;D