Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:13:42 pm

Author Topic: 2016 Australian election thread  (Read 18655 times)  Share 

oooo

Re: 2016 Australian election thread
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 02:02:20 pm »
Thanks everybody for the replies. Just wondering, what was the bill that caused this double dissolution election (unless I've read wrong and this isn't a double dissolution election  :o) Also, what happens when there's a hung parliament?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:19:03 pm by oooo »

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 08:08:22 pm »
Thanks everybody for the replies. Just wondering, what was the bill that caused this double dissolution election (unless I've read wrong and this isn't a double dissolution election  :o) Also, what happens when there's a hung parliament?

There are 3 possible triggers for the Double Dissolution:
  • Reintroduction of the ABCC (Australian Building and Construction Commission)
  • Abolition of the Clean Energy Finance Corporation
  • Tougher governance rules for the unions

They tried to get the ABCC bill once again, through the senate, but did not get passed. Then, Malcom Turnbull called the double dissolution.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 08:08:51 pm »
Just to break it down really simply, this is what happnens in a DD:

> legislation tries to get passed
> it doesn't get passed, twice
> prime minister goes "what the FUCK  >:( >:( >:( >:( guys i HATE you I'm going to call an election" (legislation not being passed twice generates a double dissolution "trigger", meaning an election can be called).
> as MR said, both the houses of parliament are dissolved (i.e., double dissolution).

So basically, what happened last night is, Malcom Turnbull played himself. #anotherone #majorkey

Holy shit thought what a night?! I sort of bailed when it was 61 seats apiece... Can someone fill me in? I've read that it's 70 to 65 seats at the moment, and that 11 are in balance with 6 looking ALP likely? Am I right in suggesting the most probable outcome of the election is 75 to 71 seats; hung parliament?

You probably know already, but yep, hung parliament is virtually guaranteed at this point  :o

This was definitely a double dissolution election! I read somewhere that it was (paraphrasing): building watchdog legislation. To be honest I'm not 100% sure on that element, aha!  ;D

If there is a hung parliament it will basically be up to the Coalition to enter into negotiations (formal or informal) with cross benchers to gain enough support for parliament to continue. Gillard was forced to do this in 2010. We'll see something similar this time, but really, a hung parliament doesn't do much in practice. The Coalition will be able govern with the support of the cross benchers, simply because they are the largest party, it makes sense.

Of course that says nothing for their ability to get bills passed in the new government. The Senate looks even worse for the Coalition now than it did before, so we're in for a very interesting 12 months  :)

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 08:17:49 pm »
I have a question - seeing as it was a double dissolution election, what will happen at the next election (in 3 years)? Seeing as senators are supposed to serve 6 year terms, will half of them still be up for re-election in the next election? - And if so, how do they work this out?

:)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »
From my understanding (so basically from what I understood of my legal teacher's special class on double dissolution elections), the first half that are voted into the Senate will serve the full six year term and the other half will only serve 3 years and stand for re/election next year, therefore re-establishing the cycle.

Hung parliament = worst cliffhanger ever.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 08:37:27 pm »
I have a question - seeing as it was a double dissolution election, what will happen at the next election (in 3 years)? Seeing as senators are supposed to serve 6 year terms, will half of them still be up for re-election in the next election? - And if so, how do they work this out?

:)

My understanding is that the terms get reset, so yes half of them will be up for re-election in 3 years time!! In terms of who gets what, I think the idea is that the longer terms go to (through whatever means) the half of the senators (six of the twelve for every state) that received more votes in the double dissolution election. Not sure how they account for the preferences and such though  ::)

Edit: Sorry HLS didn't see your reply!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 08:53:36 pm »
According to the AEC, Labor are leading in 69 seats, as opposed to the Coalition's 64.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm for reference + other stats.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:01:18 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »
Remember, not all the votes have been counted yet.

And allegedly, the AEC is not going to count anymore votes 'till Tuesday. I don't believe that though. Percent counted is still rising (though with a slow rate) which indicates that some officials are actually still counting the numbers.

Anyway, we have a hung parliament. Hung Parliament on a Double D election? Now what? Perhaps some interesting things are to come in Australian Election history.

And what if they couldn't reach agreement? Could this mean that we have to face another election, and to vote again? It's very possible.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:33:50 pm by FallingStar »

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 10:44:14 pm »
Thanks everybody for the replies. Just wondering, what was the bill that caused this double dissolution election (unless I've read wrong and this isn't a double dissolution election  :o)
Just wanted to clarify- the government knowingly goes into a double dissolution. It's not like they send the bill in three times and they're like "shit, double dissolution" - they knowingly send it into the senate in complete awareness that it will result in a double dissolution. It's when the govt cant get shit through coz the other hoes are as stubborn as hell (i forgot the names of the respective groups so i used shit, and hoes as a substitute hehe :P) -so they're like "aight fam well ima make your seat available to the aus public and see who's laughing then" .

So yeah, it's not a single bill which causes a double dissolution but persistent disharmony. Pre much I think this is the equivalent of the 'parliament shutting down' in the US when everything just shut down, but here we actually have a system to combat it.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong pls I have a very vague memory of this stuff.
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 12:19:35 am »
wellllllllllll....
pauline hanson is back in the senate.........
thoughts everyone? hahaha

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 12:31:50 am »
wellllllllllll....
no thoughts. Here, there, or in the minds of those who allowed her in.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 12:34:56 am »
wellllllllllll....

We should respect the democratic process - the people have spoken. It's not like 'One Nation' is mysterious - it's been around for a while and everyone knows their principles and beliefs. I'm happy with a result that doesn't see a major party get another seat. The crossbench provides some difference and truth.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 12:39:43 am »
We should respect the democratic process - the people have spoken. It's not like 'One Nation' is mysterious - it's been around for a while and everyone knows their principles and beliefs. I'm happy with a result that doesn't see a major party get another seat. The crossbench provides some difference and truth.
Idk about that. I said what i said before purely out of the fact that no one reading it will be offended by it. If people reading this aren't opposed to her in their views I don't think they'd be in support of them on this site.

The people also spoken about the brexit, and we can all see the fruits of that ;)

The democratic purpose isn't infallible.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 07:08:45 am »
no thoughts. Here, there, or in the minds of those who allowed her in.
Dying
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 10:28:21 am »
The Senate's looking like an interesting mix-match of people so far.

No comment on Pauline Hansen. If I start talking about her, I'll never stop. :P

The democratic purpose isn't infallible.

Just look at Donald Trump.

Does anyone know why they aren't counting votes til Tuesday? Why not Monday?