Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 05:57:01 am

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 143598 times)  Share 

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:17 am »
"The top assessment mark is immediately changed to equal the top examination mark in the cohort, and the bottom assessment mark is immediately changed to equal the lowest examination mark in the cohort (or if not exact, very close)"

Does this mean that If I get the mark top in my school of  mark of around 95, then I don't have to worry about being scaled down. Because at my school we tend to have marks jump from 90%, to 53% to 30% to the occasional 10%. This happens in classes like physics, chem, and ext1 and 2 maths where we only have handful of students (usually 3-8 students per class).

I am really worried about the raw school assessment mark scaling, but I am hoping that If study hard and I do well enough then it wont effect me.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:49 am »
+1
"The top assessment mark is immediately changed to equal the top examination mark in the cohort, and the bottom assessment mark is immediately changed to equal the lowest examination mark in the cohort (or if not exact, very close)"

Does this mean that If I get the mark top in my school of  mark of around 95, then I don't have to worry about being scaled down. Because at my school we tend to have marks jump from 90%, to 53% to 30% to the occasional 10%. This happens in classes like physics, chem, and ext1 and 2 maths where we only have handful of students (usually 3-8 students per class).

I am really worried about the raw school assessment mark scaling, but I am hoping that If study hard and I do well enough then it wont effect me.

Yep, so if you have come first internally then you are guaranteed to get the highest possible moderated mark, so it then comes completely down to your own exam performance :)

mohanedibrahim1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2017, 05:39:21 pm »
Hello, if i get band 6 in all my subject, but for English i really mess up because that is my weakest subject how much would that have an impact on my atar thanks.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2017, 05:42:39 pm »
+2
Hello, if i get band 6 in all my subject, but for English i really mess up because that is my weakest subject how much would that have an impact on my atar thanks.

It's hard to say for sure, but one poor subject is unlikely to have a huge impact - You should not put much energy into worrying about it and just focus on making your mark for English as good as it can be :) you can definitely get a really strong ATAR without a Band 6 in English :)

mohanedibrahim1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:07 pm »
Thanks jamon, and one more thing should i just focus on my other subjects, expect English for i just gave up on it and thanks.  :-X

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:52 pm »

Thanks jamon, and one more thing should i just focus on my other subjects, expect English for i just gave up on it and thanks.  :-X

You want all your subjects to collectively be as high as they can, so you should definitely not give up on English! Keep pushing as hard as you can

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2017, 11:56:14 am »
For English my estimate is that I'll probably get a band 4, I can try and get it up to a band 5 but it's so soon there's no garuntees. I think I should be able to get a band 6 (or high band 5) in everything else. So what I'm wondering is do you think I can I still get a 95+ ATAR with such a comparitibley low English mark?
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2017, 12:29:36 pm »
For English my estimate is that I'll probably get a band 4, I can try and get it up to a band 5 but it's so soon there's no garuntees. I think I should be able to get a band 6 (or high band 5) in everything else. So what I'm wondering is do you think I can I still get a 95+ ATAR with such a comparitibley low English mark?

If you've got a Band 4 in English you'll need some decently high Band 6's to cancel it out! Especially since you've got a few subjects that don't start paying you nicely in terms of scaling until the high range. It's definitely possible, so push really hard in all your subjects! :)

olliesfield

• Trailblazer
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2017, 08:24:11 pm »
what would happen if you have really good internal marks/ranks but did not do fantastic in HSC?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2017, 08:29:01 pm »
+3
what would happen if you have really good internal marks/ranks but did not do fantastic in HSC?

The reason that the scoring is split up between internal and external marks is, in part, because most people will do exactly that! Maybe a person does really well internally, but not so well externally, or vice versa. The marks are moderated to ensure you are given a fair overall score. If you did brilliantly in internal assessments, then congratulations! This will mean that your 'assessment mark' will be quite high. If you then don't do so well in the HSC exam itself, then they'll take the average of your internal mark (high) and external mark (less high) to get your overall mark (pretty bloody high).

Don't stress about this, because to be honest there's nothing you can do about it! Just forge on, keep studying, and best of luck :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

A1P

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2017, 11:42:51 pm »

It depends. If you and your cohort all have good internal marks and all did not do fantastic in HSC, your final mark will be close to your exam mark because everyone's internal marks would be adjusted down to the cohort's exam levels.

What you should hope is you're the only one whose HSC isn't fantastic, for your internal mark not to be adjusted down too much.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:33:13 am by A1P »

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »
Today I heard that if person A consistently gets first in all internal assessment tasks, but person B gets higher than person A in the trials, Person A will get person B's mark.
Is this true?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2017, 09:56:47 pm »
+1
Today I heard that if person A consistently gets first in all internal assessment tasks, but person B gets higher than person A in the trials, Person A will get person B's mark.
Is this true?

Person A would get Person B's mark not in the Trials, but in the HSC, and only for their internal moderated mark, not their examination mark.

A little complex, this guide has the process in depth if you are interested :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2018, 07:40:35 am »
Hi...
Just a random question I've been thinking about...

Why are English raw HSC marks expressed with 2 decimal places?
Whereas, most of the other subjects are just a whole number?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:10:39 am by kauac »
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2018, 08:22:35 am »
+1
Hi...
Just a random question I've been thinking about...

Why are English raw HSC marks expressed with 2 decimal places?
Whereas, most of the other subjects are just a whole number?
It's because the English final exams aggregate to a total of 105, whereas the mark you're reported is always out of 100