Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:08 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 150226 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2017, 01:08:04 pm »
Is it okay if I use another prescribed text (that my school doesn't study) as my related text? Because my teacher wants me to do that
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2017, 01:09:11 pm »
+1
Is it okay if I use another prescribed text (that my school doesn't study) as my related text? Because my teacher wants me to do that

I don't think it's allowed because markers don't know what prescribed text your school does and so, if the question asks for two prescribed and two related and you do two of the ones your school prescribed but also do a registered prescribed text as your related, than you'll be doing three prescribed texts overall.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »
+2

This is what the NESA FAQ says:
RELATED TEXTS
What are related texts?
Some modules in Stage 6 English courses require students to study texts of their own choosing, in addition to their prescribed texts. The study of these ‘related’ texts provides students with the opportunity to explore a wider variety of texts related to the particular module. Students draw their chosen texts from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media.

How should related texts be selected?
In Stage 6 English courses, it is expected that students will take responsibility for the selection and study of related texts. While teachers may provide advice and guidance, student skills in independent analysis and investigation and their growing independence as learners will be strengthened through their own selection and study of related texts.

Can a text from the HSC Prescribed Texts list be used as a related text?
Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned.

So I'm conflicted about this. My instinct initially is to say no you can't use this as a related text because you might leave the marker thinking you haven't picked two related texts as the question asks (presuming the question will ask this). But these FAQ makes me think that it would technically be ok. Maybe check with your English coordinator for a second opinion.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2017, 05:02:44 pm »
This is what the NESA FAQ says:
RELATED TEXTS
What are related texts?
Some modules in Stage 6 English courses require students to study texts of their own choosing, in addition to their prescribed texts. The study of these ‘related’ texts provides students with the opportunity to explore a wider variety of texts related to the particular module. Students draw their chosen texts from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media.

How should related texts be selected?
In Stage 6 English courses, it is expected that students will take responsibility for the selection and study of related texts. While teachers may provide advice and guidance, student skills in independent analysis and investigation and their growing independence as learners will be strengthened through their own selection and study of related texts.

Can a text from the HSC Prescribed Texts list be used as a related text?
Students will not be disadvantaged by using a text from the Prescribed Texts list, provided it is relevant to the module/elective concerned.

So I'm conflicted about this. My instinct initially is to say no you can't use this as a related text because you might leave the marker thinking you haven't picked two related texts as the question asks (presuming the question will ask this). But these FAQ makes me think that it would technically be ok. Maybe check with your English coordinator for a second opinion.

Yeah I thought it was frowned upon I'm a bit iffy on using it. I wanted to use another one but my teacher made me use this one! Would a speech be an alright material to use as a related text? E.g. JFK's West Berlin speech
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2017, 04:50:16 pm »
Hey!
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have my English Ext exams next Monday and I was wondering, for the essay, how would you suggest making links between the repressed female sexuality that was prevalent during the Victorian age to the evocation of fear and terror within Gothic Literature? I reckon the essay question will be about the evocation of fear and terror, but I want my thesis to be centralised around repressed female sexuality/ideals because it's a common theme that weaves throughout all 4 of my texts, which are - Dracula by Bram Stoker, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Turn of the Screw by Henry James and American Horror Story: Murder House. However, I'm at a loss as to how to execute this in an effective way. Or conversely, do you reckon it would be easier to approach this by centralising the essay around forms and features (general gothic conventions etc)? Also, when making references to context, how do you ensure you aren't being repetitive when linking to the general concept? I feel like the ideas conveyed are relatively similar in each of these texts, ao that's a major concern of mine - the last thing I want to do is be wasting words redundantly! I hope this is making sense to you. Any help would be appreciated deeply, thankyou :))
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:58:58 pm by Lumenoria »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2017, 04:29:53 pm »
+2
Hey!
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have my English Ext exams next Monday and I was wondering, for the essay, how would you suggest making links between the repressed female sexuality that was prevalent during the Victorian age to the evocation of fear and terror within Gothic Literature? I reckon the essay question will be about the evocation of fear and terror, but I want my thesis to be centralised around repressed female sexuality/ideals because it's a common theme that weaves throughout all 4 of my texts, which are - Dracula by Bram Stoker, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Turn of the Screw by Henry James and American Horror Story: Murder House. However, I'm at a loss as to how to execute this in an effective way. Or conversely, do you reckon it would be easier to approach this by centralising the essay around forms and features (general gothic conventions etc)? Also, when making references to context, how do you ensure you aren't being repetitive when linking to the general concept? I feel like the ideas conveyed are relatively similar in each of these texts, ao that's a major concern of mine - the last thing I want to do is be wasting words redundantly! I hope this is making sense to you. Any help would be appreciated deeply, thankyou :))

Hey there,
I think it would be best to write your essays around the general conventions of Gothicism, as that is what you would be expected to do if you were studying Genre in Year 12 Extension. Moreover, just by looking at your texts, it doesn't seem like their contexts would be too similar? Remember, you aren't supposed to talk about context in a general way - you should be quite specific when referring to the individuals author's context and the period in which they lived
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2017, 11:06:28 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering how to tackle this question, it seems like a monster imo.
"Without art the human spirit would disintegrate into the anonymous statistics of history"
How do your 2 prescribed texts and 2 related texts show this statement to be true?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2017, 11:21:39 pm »
+2
Hi,
I was wondering how to tackle this question, it seems like a monster imo.
"Without art the human spirit would disintegrate into the anonymous statistics of history"
How do your 2 prescribed texts and 2 related texts show this statement to be true?

A monster indeed!

It really depends on your texts. But I studied ATB, and I'm inclined to talk about the human spirit as being the struggles of humanity (so essentially - the plot), the art as the way it's expressed, indicating the importance of the recreation of human experiences in literature/texts, and then using the end point to say that if stories were not told, history would be faceless.

This is approaching it when talking about the texts from the outside though, your texts might lend themselves to the expression of art and human spirit inside the text? I think Sylvia Plath would've been good for me for this, but not sure about how I would've done it for Waiting for Godot!

Definitely a monster. Do you think you'd take the first or second approach?

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2017, 12:40:22 pm »
A monster indeed!

It really depends on your texts. But I studied ATB, and I'm inclined to talk about the human spirit as being the struggles of humanity (so essentially - the plot), the art as the way it's expressed, indicating the importance of the recreation of human experiences in literature/texts, and then using the end point to say that if stories were not told, history would be faceless.

This is approaching it when talking about the texts from the outside though, your texts might lend themselves to the expression of art and human spirit inside the text? I think Sylvia Plath would've been good for me for this, but not sure about how I would've done it for Waiting for Godot!

Definitely a monster. Do you think you'd take the first or second approach?

I probably would have done the first one, seeing as The Spy or Waiting for Godot doesn't really align with the other two.

I was thinking about writing how these texts (aka art) are essential for documenting their era'/ concerns and how without them, insight into such difficult time periods would be minimised, which subsequently eliminates our understanding of humanity and how we adjust in such difficult time periods

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:13 am »
+2
I probably would have done the first one, seeing as The Spy or Waiting for Godot doesn't really align with the other two.

I was thinking about writing how these texts (aka art) are essential for documenting their era'/ concerns and how without them, insight into such difficult time periods would be minimised, which subsequently eliminates our understanding of humanity and how we adjust in such difficult time periods

Sounds stellar to me! The only thing I think you need to flesh out (which you might already intend to do) is the "insight into such difficult time periods would be minimised" according to...? in the eyes of? I mean, I think you need to talk about the way modern citizens would look at it as black and white, but the texts give this period colour.

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2017, 01:57:48 pm »
Two questions

1. Can I use a speech as a related text or is that frowned upon in comparison with other forms e.g. novels, films
2. How many quotes should I prepare per text as a minimum?

Thanks!
HSC subjects

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:35 pm »
+2
Two questions

1. Can I use a speech as a related text or is that frowned upon in comparison with other forms e.g. novels, films
2. How many quotes should I prepare per text as a minimum?

Thanks!

Hey there!

1. You can definitely use a speech :) The medium is really interesting because it allows you to know the composer's really well. You learn of their political perspectives/agenda and the rhetorical devices they employ to convince you of that. I assume you're doing after the bomb (sorry if you're not), so you can look at how the political and personal intersect in a way that is unique from your other texts. I'm sure the speaker's biography is up online, so that's definitely worth exploring as a part of your analysis :)

I haven't personally chosen to study a speech, but believe that it has a lot of potential. Maybe someone on the forums who has used a speech as their related could share with you some more tips on how to best analyse it :)

2. I don't think you can name an arbitrary number of quotes and be certain that that will get you through the exam. I recommend learning quotes that will allow you to explore the full breath of the text and enough so that you can be comfortable knowing that you can answer any question. You can gauge whether you know the text well enough by doing practice questions or at least planning responses to them. Whilst your doing that, take note if you find yourself resorting to the same arguments/evidence or feel that you're being forced to manipulate your arguments in strange ways just to make them fit. That could be a sign that you need more evidence to explore ideas that will then allow you to be comfortable answering the question with a whole new set of evidence. But if you were actually looking for a number, depending on the size of the text, I learn around 15 quotes but this definitely increases with larger texts like novels/plays. I tend to have the least textual evidence for my films.

Hopefully this helped. I wasn't too sure what you were exactly looking for so let me know if you want more things clarified - these were fairly generalised answers :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2017, 09:46:45 pm »
Hey there!

1. You can definitely use a speech :) The medium is really interesting because it allows you to know the composer's really well. You learn of their political perspectives/agenda and the rhetorical devices they employ to convince you of that. I assume you're doing after the bomb (sorry if you're not), so you can look at how the political and personal intersect in a way that is unique from your other texts. I'm sure the speaker's biography is up online, so that's definitely worth exploring as a part of your analysis :)

I haven't personally chosen to study a speech, but believe that it has a lot of potential. Maybe someone on the forums who has used a speech as their related could share with you some more tips on how to best analyse it :)

2. I don't think you can name an arbitrary number of quotes and be certain that that will get you through the exam. I recommend learning quotes that will allow you to explore the full breath of the text and enough so that you can be comfortable knowing that you can answer any question. You can gauge whether you know the text well enough by doing practice questions or at least planning responses to them. Whilst your doing that, take note if you find yourself resorting to the same arguments/evidence or feel that you're being forced to manipulate your arguments in strange ways just to make them fit. That could be a sign that you need more evidence to explore ideas that will then allow you to be comfortable answering the question with a whole new set of evidence. But if you were actually looking for a number, depending on the size of the text, I learn around 15 quotes but this definitely increases with larger texts like novels/plays. I tend to have the least textual evidence for my films.

Hopefully this helped. I wasn't too sure what you were exactly looking for so let me know if you want more things clarified - these were fairly generalised answers :)

Perfect, thank you! And yes I am doing ATB :)
HSC subjects

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2017, 07:09:45 am »
Sounds stellar to me! The only thing I think you need to flesh out (which you might already intend to do) is the "insight into such difficult time periods would be minimised" according to...? in the eyes of? I mean, I think you need to talk about the way modern citizens would look at it as black and white, but the texts give this period colour.

Yep I'll definitely try to do that thank you!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:39 am »
+1
Hey Elyse I was just wondering if you have any predictions as to any other ways the HSC can fuck the Extension students over with in the creative with its prompts haha! I'm personally feeling they may stipulate that you have to set your story during a significant historical event or include a significant historical figure as I don't think they have done this before? Do you think this could happen?
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!