Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:36:28 am

Author Topic: I came, I saw, I fell in – A hums student's journey through BA  (Read 22176 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: I came, I saw, I fell in – A hums student's journey through BA
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2020, 02:46:58 pm »
+3
Yep we're also using RStudio. So far we've only covered the very basics of descriptive statistics - like you said we've only been mostly copy pasting our tutor's codes at the moment, but it's definitely making me feel very accomplished!

R does seem to be quite beginner friendly - we were thrown into the deep end in tute 1 with the tutor going through various codes and plotting/editing graphs and tables, but after a couple of tries it becomes straightforward. Of course I'm only dealing with the very foundations of R at the moment, in future weeks we'll be learning to use R for regression, forecasting, and time series analysis.

It's interesting to hear how different fields can use R - I initially thought it was strictly for econometrics - do you by any chance also use R for maths and stats?

We actually had the option to use R for some things in my Mathematical Statistics tutes last year; I would definitely say yes to it being used in stats.

I'm learning R this year in psych honours for coursework and for my thesis, and my lecturer is a huge R advocate and keeps saying that R specifically is incredibly powerful and a skill (paired with knowledge of data science techniques and interpretation of stats) that is sought after (or at least, makes you a very attractive candidate) in basically any field that involves data analysis. With the right packages, it can do various things for different fields and areas of study. So far, it's pretty fun to work with.

If you're expected to know how to work with novel data sets (especially big and dirty) from the importing stage, all the pre-analysis work (importing, cleaning, manipulation, etc.) seems to be the important part to be comfortable with as it can be tedious and can jeopardise the later analysis. I've been warned that the data set I'll be working with for my thesis is going to huge, so I'm a little concerned. Otherwise, the analysis itself and things like graphs are apparently very straightforward once you recognise the syntax and properties of the packages you're using - sounds like you're getting comfortable with it already!

(side note: str() and summary() are everything)

That's good to hear so far! (aside from the tedious elements)

I already love summary() - so quick and convenient.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 06:13:46 pm »
+2
It's interesting to hear how different fields can use R - I initially thought it was strictly for econometrics - do you by any chance also use R for maths and stats?
It’s also used in a number of ways in theoretical research in many fields.

I used it quite a bit in my own Honours project, which was within the realm of theoretical population genetics (so evolutionary biology), using mostly for() and while() loops to create simulations and graphs. I know many of my Honours classmates used R/ RStudio to generate phylogenetic trees and attempt complex analyses.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 08:20:52 pm »
+4
Wow I actually never realised that R can be used for different fields - please exuse me hahah I'm still very new to the world of programming. I haven't explored the different packages available yet, but I think I'll need them for if I continue into metrics 2. I'm definitely also keen to learn R to add it to my CV if possible, seems like a very useful skill to have!

Thanks for all your advice! And especially thanks for telling me about str(), we only went through summary in tutes. I'll definitely work on getting comfortable with all that pre-analysis work. It doesn't seem very straightforward at the moment haha but hopefully with practice it'll get better.

I already love summary() - so quick and convenient.
I guess that's one command (or is the correct word code?) everyone will be using frequently!

It’s also used in a number of ways in theoretical research in many fields.

I used it quite a bit in my own Honours project, which was within the realm of theoretical population genetics (so evolutionary biology), using mostly for() and while() loops to create simulations and graphs. I know many of my Honours classmates used R/ RStudio to generate phylogenetic trees and attempt complex analyses.
That sounds pretty advanced! We haven't really touched on anything beyond descriptive stats yet but it's definitely cool to hear what R can do - and definitely makes me more motivated to learn it.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 01:49:46 pm »
+13
Welcome to 2021, the year where my only thoughts so far have been "I can't believe I'm graduating this year" and "I can't believe I'm turning 20 this year". Admittedly both are still months away, but it's all feeling a lot more real.

I logged onto AN for the first time in months today ago and found a PM (from November, I'm so sorry) asking how my history major is going, and it took me a while as my first thought was, "What history major?".

So here's an update, 6 months too late…

I dropped my history major.

It’s really crazy how things change. Since my very first post on AN, I’ve talked about how much I love history and how history at UoM is the dream. Dropping history was frankly the last thing I expected myself to do - but I did.

Why I dropped history
I dropped history for multiple reasons. First, some may already know this, but the Faculty of Arts is cutting a huge number of subjects in 2021, including history subjects. Unbelievably, the ones they chose to cut are generally considered the staples of historical studies — subject such as Modern European History 1789-1914 and the Italian Renaissance — how on earth can they cut periods which laid the foundations of modern western society? Other subjects cut include USA and the World, and the Great War 1914-1918. Imagine the outrage if the economics department cuts microeconomics from the course, or if the science faculty no longer offers calculus 2.

There are other factors too. But essentially, the reality of history at UoM is very far removed from what I had expected as a VCE student back in 2018.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing history at UoM. SHAPS (The School of Historical and Philosophical Studies at UoM) is not bad and the staff are all very supportive. Just be warned that there is a lot less 'security' around subjects in comparison to science/commerce majors, and you'll probably find yourself revising your study plan more often than others.

I ultimately decided to drop history due to a disinterest in the subjects that are offered for 2021, and due to not wanting to extend my degree until 2022, especially as there's no guarantee those subjects will be back by then.

I am now doing a minor in Politics and International Relations. I would've done it as a major if I could, but I don't have enough credit points left for that.

Recap of Last Semester
In 2020 semester 2, I overloaded and did 5 subjects, which were:
   - POLS20031 Political Economy
   - POLS30018 Politics of the EU
   - HIST20060 World War II
   - HIST30010 Hitler’s Germany
   - ECON20001 Intermediate Macroeconomics

My biggest relief is passing macroeconomics. I didn't do very well, but as the wise proverb states, P's get degrees. Thankfully macro isn't compulsory in third year, because frankly, I passionately hate it with every inch of my soul.

2021 — final year!
It’s crazy to think that I'm now in my final year. Technically, I still have 2 years of Master of Teaching, but unless I spectacularly fail at finding a job, I'll be letting the offer lapse, as teaching is no longer something I'm particularly interested in.

In 2021, I'll be doing:

Semester 1
ECON30020 Mathematical Economics (economics - major)
ISLM30018 Engaging the Muslim World (politics - minor)
ENGL30051 Comedy (English/theatre studies - elective)

Semester 2
ECOM30003 Applied Microeconometric Modelling (econometrics - major)
ECOM30004 Time Series Analysis & Forecasting (econometrics - major)
POLS20006 Contemporary Political Theory (politics - minor)
CHIN30001 Classical Chinese Civilisation (Chinese - elective)

Being a macroeconometrics subject, I'm quite undecided on Time Series Analysis & Forecasting at the moment, so my Plan B is just the good old Econometrics 2. On the other hand, I'm very looking forward to Mathematical Econ and Microeconometric Modelling. I'm also very keen for my arts subjects, particularly my two electives (Comedy / Classical Chinese Civilisation). I've never done subjects from the English/Chinese majors, so I'm curious to see how they will be taught.

Anyway, this is getting too long so I'll sign off here. If anyone going into 2nd year wants some more detailed insights into the subjects I did this year, just shoot me a PM :)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)