Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:54:02 am

Author Topic: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student  (Read 38896 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2020, 06:46:39 pm »
+2
Got my results back for my Modern assessment! I'm pretty content with what I received (92%) and I completely agree with the feedback that my teacher gave me.

I was just looking at my study wall, which is absolutely COVERED in post-it notes - I had feedback for each subject and how to improve, and I realised that I actually have improved in many ways since Year 11! In both small and big ways - for example, during prelim course, I wasn't as confident in my source analysis and integration in essays. With the latest assessment, I made sure to make an in-depth analysis of each source to support my arguments, which my teacher commended! This is pretty heartening to realise that improvements can be made, both small and big, in short amounts of time!

I love the post-it-notes idea as well; it's certainly paid off!  :D Congratulations on your results for the assessment  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 10:41:07 pm »
+10
Week 6, Term 2 Update

This has been an exhausting week. Thank goodness for the long weekend! I've made some small but decent progress on my major works. I also FINALLY started sticking to a study timetable - I have been severely underestimating the time I allocate for studying. I'll start studying and be barely done with anything, and two hours have passed!

I also finally found out my rankings from my school report!! I'm pretty happy with them, so let's hope that I can maintain/improve them with my last assessments and Trials.

English Adv
- We wrote an essay on the 2019 HSC question for Mod B and did a peer editing activity with another class. I thought it was a bit weird writing an essay so early, but I think I will understand the text better as I write, strangely enough.
- Ranked 4th for Eng woohoo!!!

Modern History
- Continuing with the content on Indochina. Our teacher wants to finish the topic by Week 8 - I have many doubts on this since we don't seem to be close to be finishing anytime soon :///
- Ranked 3rd
- I'm so happy after realising that I only have to write two proper essays in the HSC; the Core Study and the last module are both short responses/mini essays. However, I also realised that I haven't been writing enough practise essays - I need to finish writing the essay that I never gave in from like a term ago lol

Legal Studies
- We looked at how to approach essay question for Family Law; not as intimidating as I thought, but again, I need to practise writing essays for Crime

Japanese
- We've finished the content, so in class, we've been doing all types of revision. Today we did Kahoot, which was super fun!

S&C
- So apparently we've finished our last topic?? We've been going over Belief Systems again, but I feel like our class didn't fully go over it...
- Also came to the realisation that I have no idea how to write a good S&C essay despite my teacher giving me good marks: big YIKES. I need to stop neglecting SAC. It's easy to toss it aside as an 'easy' subject, which may be true in some aspects - it's definitely not as mentally strenuous as Modern History, but if I continue to be complacent, I won't be able to maintain my rank.
- I NEED TO FINISH MY PIP DRAFT EEEEEE!!!! why did I leave it until now :((

Extension History
- We're looking at more essays for our case study, JFK. I'm stressing because I have the History Project due in less than 3 weeks and I still haven't written a draft. And this on top of the PIP draft is driving me nuts - basically two PIPs in two weeks, if you count all the referencing, footnotes, annotations etc.

That's the current status of my subjects. Approaching the end of the term, where we have to start writing essays and applying our knowledge. I know the end of the term is going to be absolutely hectic, so I'm trying to focus on getting my major works and notes in line before the madness.

Thanks for reading!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 09:04:52 pm »
+3
wow alice, y'all hsc journal looking so fire i love it
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 09:12:46 pm »
+2
wow alice, y'all hsc journal looking so fire i love it

oh no someone from school has found me
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• MOTM: AUG 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2020, 08:37:07 pm »
+1
Week 6, Term 2 Update

This has been an exhausting week. Thank goodness for the long weekend! I've made some small but decent progress on my major works. I also FINALLY started sticking to a study timetable - I have been severely underestimating the time I allocate for studying. I'll start studying and be barely done with anything, and two hours have passed!

I also finally found out my rankings from my school report!! I'm pretty happy with them, so let's hope that I can maintain/improve them with my last assessments and Trials.

English Adv
- We wrote an essay on the 2019 HSC question for Mod B and did a peer editing activity with another class. I thought it was a bit weird writing an essay so early, but I think I will understand the text better as I write, strangely enough.
- Ranked 4th for Eng woohoo!!!

Modern History
- Continuing with the content on Indochina. Our teacher wants to finish the topic by Week 8 - I have many doubts on this since we don't seem to be close to be finishing anytime soon :///
- Ranked 3rd
- I'm so happy after realising that I only have to write two proper essays in the HSC; the Core Study and the last module are both short responses/mini essays. However, I also realised that I haven't been writing enough practise essays - I need to finish writing the essay that I never gave in from like a term ago lol

Legal Studies
- We looked at how to approach essay question for Family Law; not as intimidating as I thought, but again, I need to practise writing essays for Crime

Japanese
- We've finished the content, so in class, we've been doing all types of revision. Today we did Kahoot, which was super fun!

S&C
- So apparently we've finished our last topic?? We've been going over Belief Systems again, but I feel like our class didn't fully go over it...
- Also came to the realisation that I have no idea how to write a good S&C essay despite my teacher giving me good marks: big YIKES. I need to stop neglecting SAC. It's easy to toss it aside as an 'easy' subject, which may be true in some aspects - it's definitely not as mentally strenuous as Modern History, but if I continue to be complacent, I won't be able to maintain my rank.
- I NEED TO FINISH MY PIP DRAFT EEEEEE!!!! why did I leave it until now :((

Extension History
- We're looking at more essays for our case study, JFK. I'm stressing because I have the History Project due in less than 3 weeks and I still haven't written a draft. And this on top of the PIP draft is driving me nuts - basically two PIPs in two weeks, if you count all the referencing, footnotes, annotations etc.

That's the current status of my subjects. Approaching the end of the term, where we have to start writing essays and applying our knowledge. I know the end of the term is going to be absolutely hectic, so I'm trying to focus on getting my major works and notes in line before the madness.

Thanks for reading!

Wow congrats on your rankings, that's awesome!
HSC '19: IPT
HSC '20: chem, phys, maths 3U, eng adv.

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2020, 06:59:58 am »
+1
awhnnnnn arisuuuuuuu <3
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2020, 09:58:44 am »
+1
Thanks Viktoriak_ !

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2020, 11:17:25 am »
+9
Week 7, Term 2 Update

Hello everyoneeeee!

This week flew by - it was only 3 days after all. Nothing major happened this week, but I know I'm getting my assessment notifications next week!

English Advanced
- I have a Mod B essay due today; I've finished writing it but I just need to edit it and maybe swap out some evidence
- We also got a Mod B/Mod C task: I always thought it was unfair that creative writing is tested in timed conditions. It just doesn't make sense either how it's the same weighting as the other modules.
- I don't feel confident with Mod B AT ALL but our teacher says we've finished the module :000
- Also our teacher said that we should be practising writing under timed conditions... which I haven't done at all... guess it's time to start doing that
- Sh*t scared for Mod C - all we've done is a discursive ??!?!?! and it's getting assessed in Trials :///

Modern History
- We're a few syllabus dot points away from finishing Indochina. I didn't think I'd enjoy this topic as much as USA, but I'm really liking it so far!

Legal Studies
- We started looking at contemporary issues of family law, which means we're basically finished with the topic. I'm working on my first family law essay!
- Getting an assessment notification next week!

Society and Culture
- Revising the Belief Systems and Ideologies topic
- I'm working on my PIP draft; I know it's going to be tight (considering the fact that I haven't even done primary research yet) but I know I can do it

Japanese
- I've been ramping up my study for Japanese lately, especially with writing. My friends and I have decided to start keeping a daily Japanese diary to practise our writing skills!
- I want to work on my speaking skills; we have an online speaking session tomorrow!

Extension History
- Our teacher said he might extend the due date for our History Project (if he does I would be so grateful holy heck)
- A lot of reading, not much writing for my essay so far :///

Hope everyone is staying healthy and maintaining healthy relations! Don't get too bogged down with studying.
Thanks for reading, Alice. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:32:21 am by alice343 »

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »
+7
Something about the rainy weather... I can never concentrate on anything. My senior Fridays have been consistently UNproductive, as I find it INCREDIBLY difficult to complete work during the daytime. I'm definitely more of a night owl. Today, all I've done is write a diary entry for Japanese. I hope tonight will be more productive.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2020, 12:27:28 am »
+8
Omg guys!!! Just a random update on my History Project - I gained access to a few resources that I know will be super valuable and useful for my essay. I cannot express how happy I am - EEEEEEEE!!!!!! I'm a bit miffed that now I only have a week to read them (they're full novel-length books) + all the other readings I have, but what can I do.

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »
Omg guys!!! Just a random update on my History Project - I gained access to a few resources that I know will be super valuable and useful for my essay. I cannot express how happy I am - EEEEEEEE!!!!!! I'm a bit miffed that now I only have a week to read them (they're full novel-length books) + all the other readings I have, but what can I do.

so happy to hear !!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2020, 09:26:34 pm »
+8
Hey guys, just a random Thursday update.

- Received assessment tasks for Modern and Legal
- Legal is a hand in essay, so not to stressed about that; also, I just received the notification today and I actually worked on it today lol - I don't think I've ever started on an assessment this early before
- Modern is an in class topic test with one seen question and three unseen questions!
- The due date for History Extension has been moved to the first day of next term, so I am extremely relieved except now this means I might procrastinate...
- I'm gonna cram this weekend to try and finish a PIP draft for next week
- Kinda getting overwhelmed at random times during the day, then becoming complacent, only to repeat this cycle (when will this madness end)
- Just realised today that we don't have much of Year 12 left :( Our SAC teacher said how much he was going to miss us and I almost felt like crying !! Time is gonna fly by so fast after Trials.

Good luck on whatever you've been busy with recently, and thanks for reading :)

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2020, 05:58:47 pm »
+7
Hey guyssss, week 9 now - really gotta get a move on!!! I just can't wait until the holidays so I can be free of any assessments and just focus on studying for trials.

Good news: I FINALLY sent out my questionnaire for my PIP this weekend. Honestly, I don't even know if my questionnaire is asking the right questions, but I was just relieved to have something done for my primary research. Besides the questionnaire, I'm preparing a series of interview questions that I will ask several Gen Z Chinese nationals for my cross-cultural component. I'm also going to conduct a content analysis of certain memes, and an email interview with an academic!

I'm pretty disappointed in myself since I haven't given a draft of my History Project to my teacher yet - I don't want to leave it until the holidays but kinda getting swamped on all sides atm.

Hope your Monday was an amazing (but chilly) day! :)

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2020, 08:34:39 pm »
+1
Hey guys, here's a quick PIP update!

I have accumulated about 40 responses for my questionnaire, which my teacher said was more than enough. I have started analysing the results, and I have also conducted two interviews. I also have set one up for tomorrow. The answers were super in-depth, definitely more insightful answers than I was expecting! I've made solid progress on my secondary research - not sure why I've been procrastinating it since it's not that much work. I really want to finish a semi-draft on Friday to give into my teacher. After I get that edited, I can fiddle with all the formatting and title pages and whatnot. My teacher said you could even decorate your PIP with text in the margins! I'm more excited about making it look pretty than actually writing it lmao.

Since I've been working on my PIP all week so far, I have neglected my History Project. However, I know what I am going to write about so it shouldn't be too hard.

Hope your Wednesday was amazing! If not, I hope your tomorrow is!

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2020, 09:52:15 pm »
+4
Hey Alice,

Great to hear your PIP is going well! Sounds like you've got some great data and research going.

For History Extension, I would definitely recommend starting now, even if you've got the holidays. Even if it's an absolutely trash draft, start now because there are problems that you won't see until you start writing. I made the mistake of thinking a similar thing, that I had three case studies and that I could easily base my essay around those. I started writing 2-3 weeks ago and I've had to go through 3 drafts in that time because I had to keep changing around my central argument to make it both historiographical and to continually write more of my own voice in over that of my historians/case studies. But then again, everyone's project is different and my advice might not be relevant at all to you.

Best of luck with your PIP and History Extension!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:55:33 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора