Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:09 am

Author Topic: NETWORKS QUERY  (Read 3404 times)  Share 

janhavi.shinde

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
NETWORKS QUERY
« on: September 14, 2019, 06:58:50 pm »
I have questions:
- Do we have to remember both Kruskals and Prim's technique or can we just remember one to answer the question?
- Using the Cambridge textbook, I often get questions that ask "Reducing the time taken in which activities would result in a reduction in the minimum completion time?" and when I asked my maths teacher how do them, he said to not worry about them as they're not going to be asked in HSC exams, and that we only need to know what the minimum completion time, and how its the critical path. Has anyone else been told otherwise?
- Do you guys reckon they'll play it down with networks or are we gonna cop networks bad since this is their grand entrance into HSC
- Does the hsc asses every single outcome or can it miss some? i.e i really hope we don't get too much networks or atleast any hard network questions   :'( :'( :'(

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: NETWORKS QUERY
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 07:38:33 pm »
+2
- One of them should be enough, seeing as though the syllabus specifies one or the other.

- Crashing is not in the syllabus as far as I am aware of. (It was probably just taken over from the corresponding VCE publication, since they do examine it.) However: A second opinion from a student would be extremely helpful here. :)

- In theory, you definitely cannot count on it. But in practice, because it's the first year like you said it will likely be played down somewhat at least. NESA has generally been known to be friendlier on new things in the syllabuses wherever possible.

- If by "outcome" you mean the things starting on page 17 on the syllabus well of course you'd expect to assess all Year 12 outcomes. But if you mean the actual syllabus points for the topics, being realistic a 2.5 hour exam isn't enough time to assess each and every one of them...

But of course, you don't know what's not tested in your paper until you actually see it.

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: NETWORKS QUERY
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 10:36:48 am »
Hey! My teacher said its best to know both Prims and Kruskals for the exam. Also in regards to crashing in our networks assignment we had a question on crashing and basically the only thing you have to identify (like you said) is whether it lies on the critical path or not- thus, will it affect the minimum competition time. My teacher said though that a question like "if there was a delay in activity B what would happen" or something along those lines, we should expect.  :) :)