Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:13:26 pm

Author Topic: How to study for Advanced English!  (Read 32673 times)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: How to study for Advanced English!
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 05:18:13 pm »
Hi

With Trial Paper 2 next tuesday, I was wondering whether it is best for the Seven Judith Wright poems we must know for Module C People and Landscapes to focus on two or three, rather than all seven. Many people in my year have opted to just prepare for the two or three of their choice, so that we can have more depth in analysis per poem rather than having shallow and broad knowledge for all seven. Is this recommended? Or is this sacrificial of possible marks?

Thanks  :)
Erin
Just going to chime in here, I do Coast Road poetry (for AoS) and my teacher said of the 6-7 we did, to know at least 4 in detail with adequate quotes etc etc. I thought this was relevant as in both AoS and Module C one must have a related text. Essentially how many poems you know will determine how many paragraphs you can write (normally 1 poem per para, with related text integrated)

But i did not do Module C poetry, so just trying to help but not experienced
Hope it does help :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 06:36:01 pm »
+1
Hi I have left an attachment, further this essay is about Vertigo which is a book by Loherly and it is a distinctive essay.

Thank you

Hey there! As we've said for the other essays you've posted, we require 15 posts on ATAR Notes for every piece you'd like detailed feedback for! THis is just to make sure the markers don't get too swamped - But Elyse did give you some basic pointers on this same essay here!! ;D

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 11:12:41 am »
Hi!! Do you think it's better to construct an essay and memorise quotes from that essay, or memorise quotes and then construct an essay to memorise? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 12:04:32 pm »
Hi!! Do you think it's better to construct an essay and memorise quotes from that essay, or memorise quotes and then construct an essay to memorise? :)

Hey Sophie! Ultimately, you should pick your quotes to suit your essay, not write your essay to suit your quotes. If you have a set of quotes and you try and base your essay around them, that can restrict your ability to answer the question. So, it is more effective to have a big bank of quotes to draw on, so that you can select the best ones based on the essay question at hand!

As for memorising quotes vs memorising essays, Elyse prefers memorising essays! But I prefer memorising quotes ;D much your preference :)

Sukakadonkadonk

• Forum Regular
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 04:05:56 pm »
Hey,

Do you guys have any tips in answering short answer questions for discovery relating to images?
I always have trouble trying to link techniques to discovery concepts.

Thanks!

mohanedibrahim1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 05:16:01 pm »
Hello, is it best to focus on short answers relating to discovery.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:21 pm »
Hey,

Do you guys have any tips in answering short answer questions for discovery relating to images?

Thanks!

Always consider the symbolism within a visual text. What does it stand for? Does it relate to any of the discovery phrases from the rubric? You would then say that such symbolism 'provides a greater understanding of ***discovery phrase***'. Symbolism and colour were always the go to techniques for me
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »
Hey,

Thanks!

Hey!
i personally found the best way to improve short answers in general is to practice them!
unfortunately there's only 2 on the nesa website for past prac papers but u can find plethora of them
from trial papers and just generally online.

to improve your analysis of visuals in particular i would advice brushing up on your visual techniques.
also maybe just pick out the visuals in all the papers and jot down any ideas of discovery u can come up with.
Then u can use your brainstormed material to answer the question.
get me out of here

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:50 pm »
Hello, is it best to focus on short answers relating to discovery.

Short answers are a great way to revise conceptual concepts quickly! And of course it helps you in practicing for Section 1 of Paper 1 ;D but you should try and do practice essays too, a good mix is ideal! :)

selinayinz

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 05:37:41 pm »
Great, informative post, thanks!

Question: With doing a pre-prepared response for creative and shaping it to the stimulus, if you integrate concepts and not every physical element of the stimulus (eg if it was an image), will hsc markers think that the student hasnt demonstrated the ability conform to the rubric?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »
Great, informative post, thanks!

Question: With doing a pre-prepared response for creative and shaping it to the stimulus, if you integrate concepts and not every physical element of the stimulus (eg if it was an image), will hsc markers think that the student hasnt demonstrated the ability conform to the rubric?

Hey Selina! Glad it benefitted you! ;D

Integrating the conceptual is what they are looking for. For example, say the stimulus was a padlock, they don't want a padlock in your story. They want a story about entrapment, isolation, restriction - The connotations of the image rather than the object in itself ;D

So, on the contrary, focusing on conceptual integration will actually (for most questions asked at least) be the better way to show the marker you can conform to what is in front of you! ;D

mohanedibrahim1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 06:49:48 pm »
Hi, as i have about 4-8 people in each of my courses does this mean their is less competition and it's a good sign thanks.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 10:05:11 pm »

Hi, as i have about 4-8 people in each of my courses does this mean their is less competition and it's a good sign thanks.

Hey! The number of people in your courses doesn't make a huge difference in any way, it doesn't really change how you are moderated (less competition means easier to get first in the class, but also easier to get last in the class, so not really a huge difference) - Any difference is purely in perception - Doing a course with less people around you can be trickier because there is less support around you!

J.B

• Trendsetter
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »
For all my exams I have memorised my essays, and moulded them to the question on the day. This has worked alright for me so far, so I was just wondering if I should be making notes about my texts in general, to deepen my knowledge in case I need to change my essays a lot?
Thanks

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 08:19:48 pm »
+2
For all my exams I have memorised my essays, and moulded them to the question on the day. This has worked alright for me so far, so I was just wondering if I should be making notes about my texts in general, to deepen my knowledge in case I need to change my essays a lot?
Thanks
From what I know, NESA is changing up the questions so that they are specific to a certain element to the text.
It may or may not work in your favour at the end of the day, so it's best to prepare well by deepening your knowledge of the text (reading critics, reading the preface, researching their context, etc)