Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:49:41 am

Author Topic: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay  (Read 71567 times)

kb123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2017, 09:11:20 pm »
From a personal viewpoint, having studied the texts, it would be the latter. Simply because it looks like more convincing arguments could be put out for it.

In reality, your actual points won't matter as much as the quality of your analysis. If you can analyse technology BETTER than lack of individuality, then that decides your answer immediately (go for the former).

Thanks for your opinion :)

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:52 am »
What would a technique for this quote be??

“not even the smallest deviation of opinion can be tolerated”
-from 1948 by George Orwell

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2017, 11:18:38 am »
What would a technique for this quote be??

“not even the smallest deviation of opinion can be tolerated”
-from 1948 by George Orwell

Hey there,
I would go with high modality. However, depending on where it's coming from in the text, it could also be dialogue or a part of the mis-en-scene. Through this quote, are you trying to demonstrate the control of Ingsoc/ Orwell's comments on the totalitarian state? If so, there are some better quotes that could be used with much stronger techniques to communicate the same point.
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

kb123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:06 am »
Hey there,
I would go with high modality. However, depending on where it's coming from in the text, it could also be dialogue or a part of the mis-en-scene. Through this quote, are you trying to demonstrate the control of Ingsoc/ Orwell's comments on the totalitarian state? If so, there are some better quotes that could be used with much stronger techniques to communicate the same point.

Yes, I was trying to show the restriction of individuality in a totalitarian state

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:28 am »
+1
Yes, I was trying to show the restriction of individuality in a totalitarian state

Okay, I think there are some stronger quotes that could be used to demonstrate your point. Of course, if this is only a quick reference to the quashing of individuality, then you could use this. However, I think this is a pretty major theme that you've tapped into. Perhaps it would be best to find a quote with stronger techniques in it.

One scene that springs to my mind is when Julia applies makeup in the hidden room. This may be an interesting reference to analyse, as it becomes a metaphor for her (and Winston) remaking themselves without the gaze of the state. I don't have the direct textual reference on me, but it wouldn't be too hard to find. You could then compare this to the end of the novel (the last line I believe) where it states 'He loved Big Brother'. Though they thought there was an escape through their individuality, in the end, even their most innate, human emotions are corrupted by Ingsoc. They are the citizen, no more and no less.

This is what I suggest you use for exploring this idea. Remember, Advanced English requires you show a deep understanding how text works to present an idea. As such, you should look for the strongest and most intriguing techniques.

Hope this helps  ;D
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:55 pm »
oh whoops looks like I seem to have accidentally asked a question in the Adv English thread about Mod A! And its all been answered in this thread!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2017, 11:35:29 pm »
oh whoops looks like I seem to have accidentally asked a question in the Adv English thread about Mod A! And its all been answered in this thread!

Awesome! Let us know if you needed anything clarified ;D

r4id3r

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »
Awesome resource! :))

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2017, 08:53:30 pm »
Awesome resource! :))

Glad you think so! Welcome to the forums :) It seems like you're finding your way around wonderfully, but let us know if you need anything! Happy to have you around :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2017, 05:45:53 pm »
Hi im currently preparing by mod A essay on The Great Gatsby and EBB sonnets.
This is my question:
How has your comparative study of The Great Gatsby and EBB increased your understanding of the impact of roles and expectations on the individual?

This is the thesis i have created:
The restrictive expectations of society in relation to the role an individual should play within their context have a curtailing impact on an individual's discovery of their own values. Indeed, this necessitates a rebellion against the obstructive aspirations which society places on each person.

And i was wanting to do two main parragraph devisions and was wondering if anyone had any quotes or examples that could argue these to divisions:
CONSTRICTIVE NATURE OF THESE EXPECTATIONS (examples nuanced)
IMPACT OF MAKING US WANT TO REBEL

Thank you in advanced !!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »
Hi im currently preparing by mod A essay on The Great Gatsby and EBB sonnets.
This is my question:
How has your comparative study of The Great Gatsby and EBB increased your understanding of the impact of roles and expectations on the individual?

This is the thesis i have created:
The restrictive expectations of society in relation to the role an individual should play within their context have a curtailing impact on an individual's discovery of their own values. Indeed, this necessitates a rebellion against the obstructive aspirations which society places on each person.

And i was wanting to do two main parragraph devisions and was wondering if anyone had any quotes or examples that could argue these to divisions:
CONSTRICTIVE NATURE OF THESE EXPECTATIONS (examples nuanced)
IMPACT OF MAKING US WANT TO REBEL

Thank you in advanced !!!

Hi! I haven't studied those texts so I can't help specifically, but there are a heap of notes on them in the Notes section, they could be of some help to you! ;D

PS - I deleted the duplicate question you posted in the Advanced Question Thread - Try to keep the question in one spot so it is easier on anyone who might be helping out! ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:10:53 pm by jamonwindeyer »

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2017, 10:49:46 pm »
Hi, I'm studying King Richard for Module A. Just wanted to ask how you would approach the 2014 question. "The pursuit of individual recognition is an idea which connects King Richard III and Looking for Richard. What does "individual recognition" even mean and what themes would best suit this question?
Thanks

Also any suggestions for questions for an interview between Shakespeare and Pacino?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:33:41 pm by asd987 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:15 pm »
Hi, I'm studying King Richard for Module A. Just wanted to ask how you would approach the 2014 question. "The pursuit of individual recognition is an idea which connects King Richard III and Looking for Richard. What does "individual recognition" even mean and what themes would best suit this question?
Thanks

Also any suggestions for questions for an interview between Shakespeare and Pacino?

Hey! So I interpret individual recognition as meaning, like, fame. Glory. Praise. So you'd be looking at things connected to self driven actions - Ambition, greed, responsibility (or lack thereof). The truth is though that you can take it pretty much anywhere you like - If you can link your idea to something self driven for an individual. it will work. Even something like technology, "Technology can be used for the pursuit of self recognition." Very easy to link something unrelated to your main idea ;D

I'd have questions focus on representational choices. Shakespeare could as like, "Why did you do this for this scene? It changes the whole meaning of what I had intended!" Then Pacino could respond and explain how it links to his context. That sort of stuff ;D

aryak

• Adventurer
  • School: Cheltenham Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2017, 01:44:53 pm »
Are we supposed to do integrated paragraphs or do separate paragraphs and link in the second text?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2017, 02:03:34 pm »
Are we supposed to do integrated paragraphs or do separate paragraphs and link in the second text?

Hey hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D

You can do whichever you are more comfortable with! In my experience, integrated responses tend to do a better job drawing comparisons between the two texts. It's just easier to compare if you are discussing both at the same time ;D that said, I've seen some killer essays that do them non-integrated, so it's really a matter of personal preference!! :)