Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:49:23 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3612883 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #975 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:30 pm »
URGENT!!
Can someone please help me:
In an enzyme sac where the effect of hydrogen peroxide is observed on sand, liver and liver & sand, is the dependent variable the temperature change and rate of reaction?
Is the controlled variable the amount of hydrogen peroxide which is constant in all of the test tubes?

If so, then is the independent variable the substances (1. sand, 2. Liver, 3. Sand and Liver) that the hydrogen peroxide acts on?

What is the function of catalase? And would it be correct to say that catalase acts on hydrogen peroxide therefore bubbles are formed and there is an increase in temperature?

Also wondering, for the question 'what two factors affect the active site of an enzyme', can I say any of the following factors?
-Temperature
-pH
-Chemical inhibitors?

Thank-you so much.

FarAwaySS2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #976 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:23 pm »
+1

URGENT!!
Can someone please help me:
In an enzyme sac where the effect of hydrogen peroxide is observed on sand, liver and liver & sand, is the dependent variable the temperature change and rate of reaction?
Is the controlled variable the amount of hydrogen peroxide which is constant in all of the test tubes?

If so, then is the independent variable the substances (1. sand, 2. Liver, 3. Sand and Liver) that the hydrogen peroxide acts on?

What is the function of catalase? And would it be correct to say that catalase acts on hydrogen peroxide therefore bubbles are formed and there is an increase in temperature?

Also wondering, for the question 'what two factors affect the active site of an enzyme', can I say any of the following factors?
-Temperature
-pH
-Chemical inhibitors?

Thank-you so much.

You seem right about the variables. The function of catalase in the human body is simple to perform the decomposition of the highly corrosive/dangerous hydrogen peroxide into gaseous oxygen and water molecules that can actually be usable for cells. I'm not sure about that question though.
Yup those three are fine. :)
InspirationMotivationDetermination.

nerdmmb

« Reply #977 on: March 04, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »
Thanks FarAwaySS2

Also, what are the types of errors in an experiment?

Is it just technical and human errors?

FarAwaySS2

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #978 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:24 pm »
+1
Yeah, simple human errors e.g. Reading errors, timing error, etc.
InspirationMotivationDetermination.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #979 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:59 pm »
Thanks FarAwaySS2

Also, what are the types of errors in an experiment?

Is it just technical and human errors?

Contamination, natural variation in biological material etc etc
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

nerdmmb

« Reply #980 on: March 04, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »
Why does liver have more catalase?

How does pH affect enzyme activity?

In the liver/hydrogen peroxide experiment, can there be two dependent variables --> Temperature change and rate of reaction?

Thanks!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #981 on: March 05, 2014, 01:59:28 pm »
Why does liver have more catalase?

How does pH affect enzyme activity?

In the liver/hydrogen peroxide experiment, can there be two dependent variables --> Temperature change and rate of reaction?

Thanks!

The liver detoxifies the blood, hydrogen peroxide is a toxin.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #982 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:02 pm »
How can glycolysis be said to occur in the cytoplasm if the cytoplasm includes all organelles inside the cellular membrane (excluding the nucleus)? Doesn't it occur in the cytosol?
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #983 on: March 05, 2014, 03:19:56 pm »
How can glycolysis be said to occur in the cytoplasm if the cytoplasm includes all organelles inside the cellular membrane (excluding the nucleus)? Doesn't it occur in the cytosol?
It's still essentially in the cytoplasm even though it really occurs in the cytosol; does not occur within organelles but amidst them in the cytosol if that makes sense

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #984 on: March 05, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »

You do make a true point, though if it occurred in any one of those organelles you'd assume that that would be explicitly said.

It definitely can't occur in the cytosol. Nothing is really in the cyotosol at all, it's just a liquid, it describes all of the liquid contents. So any process that occurs "in" the cytosol is actually part of the cytosol.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #985 on: March 05, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Also, is my understanding of light dependent photosynthesis correct:

When photons hit photosystem II and I, their electrons become excited. This excitement 'reaches' the chlorophyll inside the photosystems which excites a chlorophyll electron. The excited chlorophyll electron is lost to an electron acceptor in the ETC, leaving the photosystems with a positive charge. The electrons lost from photosystem I combine with H+ from the stroma to form NADPH. Acting as a means of replenishment, the electrons lost from photosystem II move along the ETC to photosystem I. As they do this, H+ ions move against their concentration gradients into the lumen of the thylakoid. The electrons provide the energy for this to occur, as it is an active form of transport. H2O is split to form H+, O2 and e- (electrons). The electrons (e-) from the catabolism of water are used to replenish those that were lost from photosystem II. Oxygen is released from the exergonic reaction as a by-product. The H+ ions (or protons) released add to the H+ concentration forming in the lumen. These H+ then travel through ATP synthase, creating a concentration gradient which releases energy. I'm pretty sure that free electrons are also used in this process. ATP is formed as a result of this process.
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #986 on: March 05, 2014, 08:13:23 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Also, is my understanding of light dependent photosynthesis correct:

When photons hit photosystem II and I, their electrons become excited. This excitement 'reaches' the chlorophyll inside the photosystems which excites a chlorophyll electron. The excited chlorophyll electron is lost to an electron acceptor in the ETC, leaving the photosystems with a positive charge. The electrons lost from photosystem I combine with H+ from the stroma to form NADPH. Acting as a means of replenishment, the electrons lost from photosystem II move along the ETC to photosystem I. As they do this, H+ ions move against their concentration gradients into the lumen of the thylakoid. The electrons provide the energy for this to occur, as it is an active form of transport. H2O is split to form H+, O2 and e- (electrons). The electrons (e-) from the catabolism of water are used to replenish those that were lost from photosystem II. Oxygen is released from the exergonic reaction as a by-product. The H+ ions (or protons) released add to the H+ concentration forming in the lumen. These H+ then travel through ATP synthase, creating a concentration gradient which releases energy. I'm pretty sure that free electrons are also used in this process. ATP is formed as a result of this process.

Haha, that's very detailed and I think a little extraneous for the purpose of VCE Biology. That being said, Khan Academy IS awesome ;)

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #987 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15:17 pm »
You do make a true point, though if it occurred in any one of those organelles you'd assume that that would be explicitly said.

It definitely can't occur in the cytosol. Nothing is really in the cyotosol at all, it's just a liquid, it describes all of the liquid contents. So any process that occurs "in" the cytosol is actually part of the cytosol.
I had always thought it occurred in the cytosol :/

rhinwarr

« Reply #988 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:12 pm »
What happens to enzymes at very cold temperatures? I know their ability to catalyse reactions is reduced but is it because they do not have enough energy to faciliate the reactions or because their shape is changed temporarily (or neither)?

Seige

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School: WEST SIDE!!!
« Reply #989 on: March 05, 2014, 08:25:21 pm »
What happens to enzymes at very cold temperatures? I know their ability to catalyse reactions is reduced but is it because they do not have enough energy to faciliate the reactions or because their shape is changed temporarily (or neither)?
Its because at low temperatures the kinetic energy is greatly decreased so therefore reactions will occur really slowly.
2012: Biology [50]  | Chemistry [50]
2013: Spesh [50 -> 55]  | English [49]  |  Physics [50] | Food & Technology [48] | Literature [48] | Art [48]
ATAR: 99.95

2014-2018: Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours)/Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology)  @ RMIT