Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:38 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570490 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:35 pm »
They don't *always* contain phosphorous.

What makes you say that?

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #691 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:20 pm »
+1
What makes you say that?

OH, SORRY! I thought you guys were referring to proteins! LOL.
Ignore what I said :-X

nerdmmb

« Reply #692 on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:31 pm »
OH, SORRY! I thought you guys were referring to proteins! LOL.
Ignore what I said :-X

Lol That's okay :)

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #693 on: February 19, 2014, 12:23:15 am »
Which cells in a plant leaf don't photosynthesise? I remember coming across this question in a Neap practice exam.
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #694 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:15 am »
Which cells in a plant leaf don't photosynthesise? I remember coming across this question in a Neap practice exam.

Not something that you need to know at all.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #695 on: February 20, 2014, 12:05:39 am »
 How are people going about memorising all the specific definitions and terminology, not sure if I'm using way too much time to memorise it and only getting a short amount memorised in a long time. Tips please?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #696 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11:57 am »
How are people going about memorising all the specific definitions and terminology, not sure if I'm using way too much time to memorise it and only getting a short amount memorised in a long time. Tips please?

Doing lots of questions, trying to answer questions on forums like this, reading of your textbook and other literature are the best ways to remember definitions. Personally, I never had a definitive structure and I managed. Also trying to remember key points and key elements of definitions. So for example

Diffusion is a passive transport process whereby molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration until reaching equilibrium.

So the bolded points are the two really key points there.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #697 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »
Okay thanks. So far I have this been re-writing on a whiteboard to Memorise definition not sure best method but yeah. Oh also about the definition of diffusion- could I substitute the from an area if low concentration to area if high concentration with down the concentration gradient, or would that not own me a mark

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #698 on: February 20, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »
Okay thanks. So far I have this been re-writing on a whiteboard to Memorise definition not sure best method but yeah. Oh also about the definition of diffusion- could I substitute the from an area if low concentration to area if high concentration with down the concentration gradient, or would that not own me a mark

It is best if you include both the aspects. Maybe something like "Diffusion is the transport of molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Thus, the molecules move down a concentration gradient and expend no energy"
How does that sound? Pls give your opinions
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #699 on: February 20, 2014, 04:57:08 pm »
It is best if you include both the aspects. Maybe something like "Diffusion is the transport of molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. Thus, the molecules move down a concentration gradient and expend no energy"
How does that sound? Pls give your opinions

I agree.
And your definition is good :) However, I would probably try to condense it into one sentence; perhaps: 'Diffusion is the passive net movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, along a concentration gradient.'

Btw passive indicates that no energy was expended.

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #700 on: February 20, 2014, 07:55:07 pm »
Perfect. I agree with MM1.
Short and sweet

Blurple

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #701 on: February 20, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »
Ive got my SAC coming up, apparently the first one for this year for Unit 3.One is on enzymes, dialysis tubing and photosynthesis. Can anyone tell me how things works? How did it go dor you and what do you write about exactly? I know its a prac but the teacher hasnt been through how anything works and we just got a weeks notice. Im in Year 11 and things are already so confusing when you dont get told things properly. Im sorry if this sounda like a silly question but I just want to be prepared.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #702 on: February 20, 2014, 08:28:23 pm »
Ive got my SAC coming up, apparently the first one for this year for Unit 3.One is on enzymes, dialysis tubing and photosynthesis. Can anyone tell me how things works? How did it go dor you and what do you write about exactly? I know its a prac but the teacher hasnt been through how anything works and we just got a weeks notice. Im in Year 11 and things are already so confusing when you dont get told things properly. Im sorry if this sounda like a silly question but I just want to be prepared.

Hey, not a silly question at all! :)

I think for everyone the first SAC is on movement through membranes in which you investigate osmosis. You would perform an experiment and then have to write some sections of a scientific report; so the aim, hypothesis, results, discussion and conclusion. I'd suggest doing some reading on different pracs about dialysis tubing (if that's the one your school is doing) and then familiarising yourself on how to write a good scientific report. And of course, thoroughly study everything about movement through membranes and how they could apply in your experiment.

Good-luck :)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:40 pm »
Hey
I have a sac coming up on osmosis and here are the key concepts we need to know:

•   Draw and label fluid mosaic model of the plasma membrane
•   What are the functions of all its components in the plasma membrane?
•   Define and give an example of Diffusion
•   Define and give an example of Osmosis
•   Define and give an example of Facilitated diffusion
•   Define and give an example of Active transport
•   Identify the differences between all modes of transport
•   Define and understand hypertonic, hypotonic and isotonic.
•   What can/cannot readily pass through the cell membrane
•   Define and understand the terms hydrophobic and hydrophilic.

It would be awesome if someone could answer a couple and I could compare it with my answers. I want my answers to be perfect and include all the important stuff
Thanks in advance

nerdmmb

« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2014, 09:48:34 pm »
+2
Hey
I have a sac coming up on osmosis and here are the key concepts we need to know:

•   Draw and label fluid mosaic model of the plasma membrane
•   What are the functions of all its components in the plasma membrane?
•   Define and give an example of Diffusion
•   Define and give an example of Osmosis
•   Define and give an example of Facilitated diffusion
•   Define and give an example of Active transport
•   Identify the differences between all modes of transport
•   Define and understand hypertonic, hypotonic and isotonic.
•   What can/cannot readily pass through the cell membrane
•   Define and understand the terms hydrophobic and hydrophilic.

It would be awesome if someone could answer a couple and I could compare it with my answers. I want my answers to be perfect and include all the important stuff
Thanks in advance

The role of the phospholipid membrane in general is to control the inputs and outputs in a cell. The carbohydrate chains (glycoproteins and glycolipids) are involved in intercellular communication and also recognises self and non-self (foreign substances). Cholesterol increases fluidity and prevents solidification of the membrane at low temperatures. The protein channels enable ions (charged particles) and large hydrophilic substances to diffuse through the membrane and is also involved in active transport (the energy-requiring passage of molecules against the concentration gradient). The pores between the phospholipids allow small uncharged and lipophilic substances such as alcohol and urea to diffuse through.

Diffusion is the net movement of solutes from a region of high solute concentration to a region of low solute concentration along a concentration gradient until equilibrium is reached. For example, when you add food colouring to water, the water will eventually be coloured as the colouring will diffuse to the clear regions (where the concentration of the food colouring is low) hence making the whole water solution coloured.

Osmosis is the net movement of water molecules from a region of high water potential (low solute concentration) to a region of low water potential (high solute concentration) along the osmotic gradient. For example, imagine a frog in a pond; if the pond has a lot of salt dissolved in it- it is hypertonic to the frog and water will therefore diffuse out of the frog possibly making it burst. This is because the cells in our body are semi-permeable- solutes cannot exist easily therefore water diffuses to make the two mediums reach equilibrium. Note that osmosis is a form of passive transport or in other words does not require energy.

Facilitated diffusion is the net movement of solutes along a concentration from an area of high solute concentration to an area of low solute concentration with the aid of protein channels. For example, sodium ions require protein channels as they cannot "simply" diffuse through the membrane.

Active transport is the net movement of solutes from an area of low solute concentration to an area of high solute concentration AGAINST the concentration gradient. This requires an expenditure of energy and is highly important for cells. For example, the roots of plants require active transport to absorb ions in the soil- this is because there is already a higher concentration of ions in the roots so energy is required. Energy that is used in active transport must be in the form of ATP (chemical energy) which is produced by the mitochondria in the cells.

Passive transport includes facilitated diffusion, simple diffusion and carrier mediated transport. It requires no energy as solutes are being diffused along the concentration gradient. In contrast, active transport requires energy as the solutes must be taken up against the concentration gradient.

Small uncharged particles, volatile substances and lipophilic molecules such as alcohol, urea, water, ethanol can readily pass through the membrane whereas hydrophilic polar substances such as sodium cannot- they require protein channels. Larger molecules are taken into the cell via endocytosis whereby the cell membrane simply engulfs the substances such as food and forms a vesicle in the cell.

Hydrophilic literally means water loving --> hydro - water and philic - loving
Hydrophobic means water fearing --> hydro - water and phobic - fearing

Forgot to mention, when a solution is isotonic to another solution, this means that they have the same solute concentration therefore diffusion is occurring at a constant rate between the two mediums.
Also endocytosis and exocytosis are other forms of transport as well. Exocytosis is the opposite of endocytosis whereby large particles exits the cell - the vesicles fuses with the membrane and releases its contents. This is common with lysosomes.

Hope this helped and please correct me if I'm wrong :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:10:37 pm by nerdmmb »