Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:49:09 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571030 times)  Share 

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #555 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »
My definition was something like enzyme denature is an organic catalyst which has its specific tertiary structure conformation shape altered, hence loses its ability to accommodate previous substrates and thus loses its function (guessing I need to also talk about hydrogen bonds braking due to heating, anything else) thanks

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #556 on: February 11, 2014, 11:11:12 pm »
Enzyme denaturing occurs when the enzymes is exposed to high temperature, more that it's optimum range which then cause the active site of the enzyme to change shape. This restricts the enzyme from performing any more reactions as no substrates can bind to it anymore. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong. Just saying this from the top of my head. :)

This sounds good, but I think you should mention how an enzyme denatures at high temperatures (H bonds breaking) as well somewhere in your response.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #557 on: February 11, 2014, 11:16:11 pm »
+2
Denaturation is when temperature or pH deviates from a predefined optimum level such that intermolecular bonding in the protein is disrupted, changing the 3-dimensional conformation of the protein. It is an irreversible process and results in a loss of function.

Important points that have been missed

-irreversible
-pH can do it as well 
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #558 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:36 pm »
+1
The things you need to know for VCE is that it's irreversible. When you scramble an egg, you denature the protein. You can't "unscramble" an egg, it is permanently like that. It's a great example to remember. That's the key concept they actually want you to remember in my humble opinion. AS T-Rav said, both heat and pH (less sensitive to this though) can do it. If you look at in terms of the lock and key model, you're essentially changing the shape of the lock. Imagine if i came to your house and changed every lock or the shape of your power points, nothing would work, the keys wouldn't go in and your plugs wouldn't go in, things just fall apart and fail to function.

Spoiler
Recent research has suggested denaturation might not be permanent in some cases and enzymes can partially "refold" and regain some functionality, in particular smaller ones. Not relevant for VCE though.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #559 on: February 12, 2014, 03:18:11 pm »
This sounds good, but I think you should mention how an enzyme denatures at high temperatures (H bonds breaking) as well somewhere in your response.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. Thanks for correcting me before I made that mistake on any of my sacs, or worse on the exam  :D
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #560 on: February 12, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »
Yeah, forgot to mention that. Thanks for correcting me before I made that mistake on any of my sacs, or worse on the exam  :D

No worries; I think that's what we're all here for. But I think you should use this:

Denaturation is when temperature or pH deviates from a predefined optimum level such that intermolecular bonding in the protein is disrupted, changing the 3-dimensional conformation of the protein. It is an irreversible process and results in a loss of function.

^That's really well defined :O If only I could define like that  :'(

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #561 on: February 12, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »
Would endocytosis reduce the size of the plasma membrane of a cell?

Thanks!

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #562 on: February 12, 2014, 06:52:12 pm »
Would endocytosis reduce the size of the plasma membrane of a cell?

Thanks!

Not by any measurable amount - vesicles from the plasma membrane are very small relative to the size of the cell
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #563 on: February 12, 2014, 07:54:43 pm »
Sorry. What is the difference between condensation reaction and polymerisation? According to insight past paper the answer to question what is the name given to the process where monomers join to become macromolecules?? Thanks

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #564 on: February 12, 2014, 07:55:02 pm »
Is polymerisation.

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #565 on: February 12, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
Sorry. What is the difference between condensation reaction and polymerisation? According to insight past paper the answer to question what is the name given to the process where monomers join to become macromolecules?? Thanks
A condensation reaction is one in which reactants combine real easing water with the product.
A polymerisation reaction is one in which monomers combine to form a polymer. ( I think this is the answer that you are looking for )
However, note that fats does not have a monomer, hence, polymerisation does not occur for this case, you have to read the question carefully.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #566 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:08 pm »
Not by any measurable amount - vesicles from the plasma membrane are very small relative to the size of the cell

Thankyou! :)

Frozone

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm on my daily grind. My 9-5.
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #567 on: February 12, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »
What is an easier way or remembering the difference between endergonic and exogernic?
I really hope there is because I mix them up a lot.
VCE 2013 - 2014:  Biology |English|Geography| Literature |Mathematical Methods [CAS] |Physical Education | Psychology

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #568 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:48 pm »
+1
What is an easier way or remembering the difference between endergonic and exogernic?
I really hope there is because I mix them up a lot.

Personally whenever I think of exergonic I think of exert because energy is being 'exerted' or released. Hope this may help :P

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #569 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:21 pm »

Why you apologize?  :'(
A condensation reaction is a type of polymerization reaction. The two types of polymerization are 'addition' and 'condensation'. In addition polymerization monomers bond together without the loss of any atom or molecule. In condensation polymerization monomers bond together as well but a molecule, usually water, is lost during the process.