Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:06 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571203 times)  Share 

Sup

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +22
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 09, 2014, 04:35:46 pm »
+1
So how are bio sacs anyways.
Are they like normal tests?
They differ from school to school. Some SACs may be prac based, where you have to perform a prac, then use your prac results to answer questions.
You may have to do a prac report for a SAC. Other SACs may be just tests which include interpreting info given to you, and other forms of SACs may pop up.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #526 on: February 09, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »
What does the term 'systems biology' mean?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #527 on: February 09, 2014, 07:07:58 pm »
Can it be said that a membrane is an aggregate of lipids? Since lipids don't form polymers, rather they form aggregates, what are examples of these aggregates formed?
Thanks!

Yacoubb

« Reply #528 on: February 09, 2014, 07:12:17 pm »
+1
Can it be said that a membrane is an aggregate of lipids? Since lipids don't form polymers, rather they form aggregates, what are examples of these aggregates formed?
Thanks!

Yeah. The phospholipid bi-layer component of the plasma membrane is an aggregation of phospholipids (in a bi-layer form), with proteins and carbohydrates embedded into this aggregate.

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #529 on: February 09, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
Sorry. Was reading through textbooks and there were some major differences between textbooks so not sure what we need to know. Help please.
How much do we need to know about vectors, and do we need to know the different ones for transferring genes. Which types of identification of genes do we need to know and how much, eg STRs, VNTRs, HVRs. And we are not required to know the different applications of biotechnology right?? Eg gene therapy. Thanks.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #530 on: February 09, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »
Sorry. Was reading through textbooks and there were some major differences between textbooks so not sure what we need to know. Help please.
How much do we need to know about vectors, and do we need to know the different ones for transferring genes. Which types of identification of genes do we need to know and how much, eg STRs, VNTRs, HVRs. And we are not required to know the different applications of biotechnology right?? Eg gene therapy. Thanks.

Was wondering this too. I thought this got taken out of the study design  ???

Yacoubb

« Reply #531 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:14 pm »

All you need to know is:
- Plasmids are used in gene cloning as vectors
- Vectors (i.e. organisms that transfers disease from one organism to another without being infected).
- Retroviruses and Adenoviruses used in gene therapy

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:29 am »
+1
What does the term 'systems biology' mean?

Not sure if thats in the course, where did you get that from? It might be because i'm getting old (ripe old age of 21) and they changed the study design significantly though.

Thanks!

Yes, they're just basically just collected there in one place. It's quite amazing how they spontaneously assemble, it's still one of the most miraculous things in biology for me. Sort of imagine a bunch of individual people forming a queue, it's a bit like that, they just happen to line up and collect due to their chemical properties. Also notice there's a lot going on, atoms never really stay still, they're always moving. It's the same with the lipid bilayer and parts of the cell as well.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
Okay then thanks. For vectors- I meant in the transferring of genes, like how we use bacteria to transfer genes upon building it for human.
I used Nelson biology and nature of biology for these information.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #534 on: February 10, 2014, 05:21:16 pm »
Not sure if thats in the course, where did you get that from? It might be because i'm getting old (ripe old age of 21) and they changed the study design significantly though.

Yes, they're just basically just collected there in one place. It's quite amazing how they spontaneously assemble, it's still one of the most miraculous things in biology for me. Sort of imagine a bunch of individual people forming a queue, it's a bit like that, they just happen to line up and collect due to their chemical properties. Also notice there's a lot going on, atoms never really stay still, they're always moving. It's the same with the lipid bilayer and parts of the cell as well.

oh oops :S

Maybe it isnt in the study design, I was just confused because there was a question in my Nelson 3/4 Textbook asking what it means!

The paragraph in my book said: "The movement of molecules across membranes, the movement of molecules within
cells and cell interactions show how cells are systems. They represent systems biology
on a molecular scale."

:)

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #535 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »

oh oops :S

Maybe it isnt in the study design, I was just confused because there was a question in my Nelson 3/4 Textbook asking what it means!

The paragraph in my book said: "The movement of molecules across membranes, the movement of molecules within
cells and cell interactions show how cells are systems. They represent systems biology
on a molecular scale."

:)

Do you mean this:
Cells form tissues; tissues form organs; and organs work together to form systems (such as circulatory, digestive, etc) ?

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #536 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:48 pm »
Sorry. How do you differentiate and define exactly what glycoprotein and glycolipid are??
Also for those questions when there ask how does the structure relate to functions eg how does the structure of starch relate to its function? How much knowledge are we expected to know about it, and are we expected to know the structure of the different types of polymers for starch, glycogen, chitin, cellulose. Thanks.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #537 on: February 10, 2014, 07:30:24 pm »
Sorry. How do you differentiate and define exactly what glycoprotein and glycolipid are??
Also for those questions when there ask how does the structure relate to functions eg how does the structure of starch relate to its function? How much knowledge are we expected to know about it, and are we expected to know the structure of the different types of polymers for starch, glycogen, chitin, cellulose. Thanks.

Glycoprotein
Glycolipid

A glycoprotein is a protein with a carbohydrate attached. A glycolipid is a lipid with a carbohydrate attached.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

nerdmmb

« Reply #538 on: February 10, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »

Think of it this way. Glycolipid: is a carbohydrate attached to a phosphate head.

In contrast glycoprotein: is a carbohydrate attached to a protein channel embedded in the membrane.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #539 on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:14 pm »

Glycoproteins are examples of conjugated proteins where a protein molecule is attached to a carbohydrate. Glyco refers to 'producing sugar' so that means carbohydrates.

I'm not entirely sure as to what we need know about structure (in terms of the alpha-1,6 bonds or etc) but in the case of starch I think they fact that it's made of highly branched monosaccharides makes it a good source of energy( it's function). [There are many glycosidic bonds which once broken exert energy for cell use].
Hope that somewhat helped!

Think of it this way. Glycolipid: is a carbohydrate attached to a phosphate head.

Do you mean: a glycolipid is a lipid molecule attached to a carbohydrate :)