Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:46:56 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571615 times)  Share 

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:02 pm »
+1
You can stipulate the size of the image by using [img width=insert number here (e.g. 500)]insert image URL here[/img]

Really? Lemme just check that out :P

*EDIT*  It worked! I set it to 400, thanks!

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »
So building on question 2), what kind of forces hold lipids together?
For question 3), I meant what I said. I had encountered a question earlier asking if membrane proteins were only of a quaternary structure  :P I think I've just presumed that quaternary structured proteins are more common than their tertiary counterparts.
With question 4), I'm still confused as to why all RNA looks the same. I know that RNA has four different nitrogenous bases, but isn't the RNA sequence in each tRNA just 3 bases? Concerning the picture, why is it impossible to differentiate between RNA types when tRNA has a base sequence of 3 nitrogenous bases? I'm missing something about the structure of tRNA! :-\

As a general rule: All proteins have primary, secondary and tertiary structures; but not all proteins have quartenary structures. The primary structure refers to the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide chain. The secondary structure refers to the characteristic 3D shape of a protein, given rise to by different R groups and their arrangement on either side of the peptide bonds. The tertiary structure of a protein is it's overall geometric shape, a modified secondary structure really, and is what allows a protein to carry out its function. A quarternery structure refers to proteins made of more than one polypeptide chain. For example, hemoglobin is made up of 4 polypeptide chains, and is globular (one of the two main classes of quarternery structured proteins). However, realise that not all proteins can have more than one polypeptide chain. Therefore, not all proteins can have a quarternery structure.
Regarding your question on RNA, I think you are referring to codons. A codon is the initial nucleotide from which translation starts. Codons are sets of 3 adjacent nucleotides that t-RNA transfers from mRNA in the process of synthesising amino acids. All RNA still have the 4 bases (AUGC), but they read only in groups of 3 when being translated into an amino acid. RNA have the same structure but different function? I'll let someone else answer that.

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #377 on: January 29, 2014, 10:04:15 pm »
Would anyone be able to share any advice on how to improve answering short-answer questions?
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #378 on: January 29, 2014, 10:07:13 pm »
Would anyone be able to share any advice on how to improve answering short-answer questions?

What I used to do was to write a preliminary answer in dot points, then formulate it into a brief, cogent (and hopefully correct) answer. By the time the exam comes around, you should be able to do the dot-pointing in your head so you can get your answer onto the page quickly!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »
Why aren't lipid based molecules repelled by the hydrophilic phosphate when they diffuse through the bilayer? How are they able to overcome this?

Also, when would you guys recommend starting VCAA past exam papers? Should I do them now (advised by my teacher) or leave them till the last month or so?

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »
Another question... hope you guys don't mind.

So lipids are known to have a higher energy yield compared to carbohydrates; How come? Do they have a general formula like monosaccharides (CH2O)n ?

Thanks aplenty!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:31 pm »
+1
Another question... hope you guys don't mind.

So lipids are known to have a higher energy yield compared to carbohydrates; How come? Do they have a general formula like monosaccharides (CH2O)n ?

Thanks aplenty!

The bonds are stronger, more energy pent up in the bonds and the configurations they break down too are lower energy configurations.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2014, 07:03:06 pm »
+1
Also, when would you guys recommend starting VCAA past exam papers? Should I do them now (advised by my teacher) or leave them till the last month or so?

Didn't your school just start? I go to a selective school, and even the freakishly smart people I know haven't touched any practice papers yet.
It's up to you though, do what you think you are capable of doing, and I'm sure that'll be best :) 

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2014, 07:20:53 pm »
Didn't your school just start? I go to a selective school, and even the freakishly smart people I know haven't touched any practice papers yet.
It's up to you though, do what you think you are capable of doing, and I'm sure that'll be best :)

Yes; I guess by 'now' I meant end of February for general exam papers :P. My teacher said it's okay to use VCAA past exam papers as you would use commercial ones; but then I've heard that it's better to leave VCAA for last so that's why I'm asking. I'll probably go with the latter.
Thanks anyway! :)

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #384 on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »
+1
... I've heard that it's better to leave VCAA for last so that's why I'm asking.

Yup, I'd probably leave them for last as well (:

nerdmmb

« Reply #385 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:40 pm »
same here! personally, I think now's the best time to solidify your understanding of the concepts :)

But anyways Good luck to all Bio students!

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:41 pm »
Hi... Could you please help me answer this question

Simple sugars have the general formula of (CH2O)n. . If disaccharides are classified as a simple sugar, and sucrose is an example of a disaccharide, then why does it have a formula of C12H22O11 ?

This question has been bugging me for the last few days :(
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2014, 10:26:36 pm »
+1
Hi... Could you please help me answer this question

Simple sugars have the general formula of (CH2O)n. . If disaccharides are classified as a simple sugar, and sucrose is an example of a disaccharide, then why does it have a formula of C12H22O11 ?

This question has been bugging me for the last few days :(

Disaccharides are formed when two monosaccharides covalently bond together (glycosodic bond) through condensation polymerisation. Because of this, a H and OH is lost, forming water. Therefore disaccharides have 2 less hydrogens and 1 less oxygen.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2014, 10:28:51 pm »
+1
Do you remember what happens when two monosaccharides bond together to form a disaccharide? This process occurs through a condensation reaction, in which a water molecule (H2O) is produced. So, the molecular formula of the disaccharide will be the addition of two monosaccharides (C6H12O6 + C6H12O6 = C12H24O12) minus the water molecule (C12H24O12 - H2O = C12H22O11).

The number of water molecules condensed out of the monosaccharides during a condensation polymerisation reaction is always one less than the number of monosaccharides present. :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2014, 04:22:00 pm »
Oh that makes much more sense. Thanks heaps Stick and Oddly  :D
2014: VCE completed