Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:45:31 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571615 times)  Share 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
i think the extent its present in textbooks maybe getting to uni level bio.

I use the NoB textbook and I don't think it explains it quite at that level. However, do a quick internet search and there's uni level stuff regarding the Kreb's cycle everywhere!

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #286 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »
+1
The way Nature of Biology explains aerobic respiration is perfect, in my opinion. As always, it's a great idea to read beyond the course out of pure interest, but for assessment purposes I certainly wouldn't delve into the mechanics of aerobic respiration in short answer/extended response questions.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #287 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:48 pm »
Why do enzymes breakdown neurotransmitters after they've performed their function at the synapse?

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #288 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:10 pm »
Why do enzymes breakdown neurotransmitters after they've performed their function at the synapse?
So that you stop feeling the pain (as an example)!

Alternatively, so as to prevent any further excitatory or inhibitory signaling.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:20:28 pm by oddly »

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #289 on: January 24, 2014, 08:22:06 pm »
So that you stop feeling the pain (as an example)!

True. Why can't they be reused though? Just a thought.

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33:03 pm »
True. Why can't they be reused though? Just a thought.
I believe they can be reused; they are returned to the axon terminal (via active transport?).

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2014, 08:37:35 pm »
I believe they can be reused; they are returned to the axon terminal (via active transport?).

Really, I thought they were all broken down by enzymes... Cheers anyway.

nerdmmb

« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »
Is the following definition of a cytoplasm accurate?

'a jelly-like substance that contains the contents of a cell (except the nucleus) such as the ions, enzymes, organelles and is more than 90% water'

Why doesn't the cytoplasm enclose the nucleus?

Also, I know that the cytosol is the fluid component of the cytoplasm but is it correct to say that the cytoplasm also contains cytosol since it encloses the organelles? What is the significance of the cytosol's fluidity?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:59:23 pm by nerdmmb »

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:39 pm »
+2

'a jelly-like substance that contains the contents of a cell (except the nucleus) such as the ions, enzymes, organelles and is more than 90% water'

Also, I know that the cytosol is the fluid component of the cytoplasm but is it correct to say that the cytoplasm also contains cytosol since it encloses the organelles? What is the significance of the cytosol's fluidity?
Cytoplasm: the fluid within a cell which includes all cell organelles apart from the nucleus. I see it as a collective term (composed of cell organelles + cytosol minus nucleus)
Apparently, the nucleus isn't part of the cytoplasm as it contains its own fluid called nucleoplasm.

Yes, cytosol is a constituent of cytoplasm. Its fluidity is significant in that it suspends the organelles that are part of the cytoplasm. Edit: should also mention that because it is mostly made of water, many cellular reactions occur within it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:09:09 pm by oddly »

nerdmmb

« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2014, 09:09:17 pm »
Cytoplasm: the fluid within a cell which includes all cell organelles apart from the nucleus. I see it as a collective term (composed of cell organelles + cytosol minus nucleus)
Apparently, the nucleus isn't part of the cytoplasm as it contains its own fluid called nucleoplasm.

Yes, cytosol is a constituent of cytoplasm. Its fluidity is significant in that it suspends the organelles that are part of the cytoplasm.

Thank-you!!

Also wanted to clarify, can the smooth ER and rough ER be considered two different organelles since they possess different functions?

Yacoubb

« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:08 pm »
+2
Thank-you!!

Also wanted to clarify, can the smooth ER and rough ER be considered two different organelles since they possess different functions?

Two variants of an organelle. But I guess saying they're two separate organelles is fine.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:19 pm »
+1
Thank-you!!

Yes, it's broadly defined as a 'type of organelle' from the texts I've read.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #297 on: January 24, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
+2

Relating to the significance of the cytosol's fluidity; I believe its fluidity is vital for overall cell functions. Can you image if it was not fluid?
From what I've read, the aspect of fluidity in the cytoplasm(which consists of cytosol) creates cytoplasmic reorganisation during cell reproduction and in some protists it provides the mechanism for cell locomotion (movement); it aids in the delivery of nutrients, cell products, and genetic information to all parts of a cell, allowing cell components to flow to all parts of the cell. So basically it's important for all intracellular functions. Hope that helps.

Edit: Think of it in terms of osmosis as well (I suppose).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:24:37 pm by MM1 »

nerdmmb

« Reply #298 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:58 pm »
Relating to the significance of the cytosol's fluidity; I believe its fluidity is vital for overall cell functions. Can you image if it was not fluid?
From what I've read, the aspect of fluidity in the cytoplasm(which consists of cytosol) creates cytoplasmic reorganisation during cell reproduction and in some protists it provides the mechanism for cell locomotion (movement); it aids in the delivery of nutrients, cell products, and genetic information to all parts of a cell, allowing cell components to flow to all parts of the cell. So basically it's important for all intracellular functions. Hope that helps.

Thank-you! That makes much more sense now :)

nerdmmb

« Reply #299 on: January 24, 2014, 09:31:16 pm »
Sorry for asking so many questions guys.. I had one more..

Basically I was told that organelles do not necessarily require membranes. (e.g. ribosomes are not membrane-bound) Is this true?