Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:50:35 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570721 times)  Share 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2014, 10:03:44 pm »
I just had a notebook where I wrote up all my notes and looseleaf to record whatever we did in class. It meant I was writing my own notes. Probably a pretty shit way to learn to be honest, but it worked I guess.

Yep, that's me too. I'm not really big on stationary, I guess

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:03 am »
What aspects of Calvin cycle do we need to know? Is it that the ATP and NADPH produced in the light independent reactions are used to convert carbon dioxide into glucose during the process?
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Yacoubb

« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2014, 10:45:04 am »
+1
What aspects of Calvin cycle do we need to know? Is it that the ATP and NADPH produced in the light independent reactions are used to convert carbon dioxide into glucose during the process?

All you need to know is that in the light-independent stage, CO2 reacts with H+ ions (provided by NADPH) to produce glucose. ATP produced in the light-dependent stage provides the energy for synthesis of glucose, an endergonic process.

Don't learn intracicies that aren't assessed on the study design. :)

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2014, 03:53:46 pm »
What is the difference to active immunity and acquired immunity, or are they exactly the same thing?
Thanks.

Yacoubb

« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »
What is the difference to active immunity and acquired immunity, or are they exactly the same thing?
Thanks.

Acquired immunity means that you've become immune to a particular allergen; applies to both passive and active.

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #275 on: January 23, 2014, 03:56:49 pm »
Thanks Yacoubb.
i was wondering with the different pathogens, how much do we need to know about protists and worms (all do we just need to know in general how worms cause diseases and not need to know about each of them).
Thanks.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #276 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:45 pm »
Thanks Yacoubb.
i was wondering with the different pathogens, how much do we need to know about protists and worms (all do we just need to know in general how worms cause diseases and not need to know about each of them).
Thanks.

No need to know about individual species. Nobody has time for that.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »
okay then, thanks.
and yup that makes sense, cause so much to learn.
So i just need to know about worms in general. thanks.

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »
Just out of curiosity when i went reading over chapter 1 of biology, i came upon water being a universal solvent.
I know that it is the universal solvent because it can dissolve most other molecules (given that it is polar like water). So i was wondering then isn't it true that other polar molecules (not water) can also be called a universal solvent (as it is still polar like water is)? Correct me please, i'm probably wrong- but i just wanted to clarify why water is a universal solvent?
Thanks.

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2014, 06:03:58 pm »
Just out of curiosity when i went reading over chapter 1 of biology, i came upon water being a universal solvent.
I know that it is the universal solvent because it can dissolve most other molecules (given that it is polar like water). So i was wondering then isn't it true that other polar molecules (not water) can also be called a universal solvent (as it is still polar like water is)? Correct me please, i'm probably wrong- but i just wanted to clarify why water is a universal solvent?
Thanks.
I'm just guessing but another fact that makes water a universal solvent is that almost everything is made up from 50% of water, the world is made up from 70%, our body about 70% (sorry I can't remember the exact number). Whilst other substances can also dissolve things, they do not present as much as water does in our daily life.
Just my assumption though, hope this helps
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

nerdmmb

« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2014, 06:04:02 pm »
Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, water is considered to be a universal solvent as all the chemical reactions in our body occur in a watery environment which is suitable due to its polarity. This does not mean that all polar molecules are universal solvents. For example, ammonia (NH3) is a polar molecule and is a good solvent for organic molecules. Despite this, it is inferior to water. Furthermore, water dissolves more substances better than any other solvent therefore it is a universal solvent.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:09:57 pm by nerdmmb »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2014, 06:05:40 pm »
It's not actually a universal solvent, though it's considered the universal solvent because there is no known chemical that can dissolve as many things as water.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

nerdmmb

« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2014, 06:06:20 pm »
I also just wanted to know, to what extent do we need to know about the Krebs Cycle? It's by far the most confusing concept.

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2014, 06:29:14 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your help, much appreciated.
And i think for the krebs cycle we just need to know the inputs, outputs, where it occurs (being the cristae)? (but i'm not to sure) and yup i agree it is really confusing- i think the extent its present in textbooks maybe getting to uni level bio. hope i could help.

nerdmmb

« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your help, much appreciated.
And i think for the krebs cycle we just need to know the inputs, outputs, where it occurs (being the cristae)? (but i'm not to sure) and yup i agree it is really confusing- i think the extent its present in textbooks maybe getting to uni level bio. hope i could help.

Cheers :) You might be right!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:58:17 pm by nerdmmb »