Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:41:09 am

Author Topic: Australian School System  (Read 5916 times)  Share 

FatnessFirst

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Australian School System
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »
Hi guys, I'm just wondering what you guys think of the Australian school system. You can compare it with other international schools. Also, it can be about the VCE, or just elementary.

Its for my English Oral btw.

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
Re: Australian School System
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »
needs less VCE and more year 9/10 =P.
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

FatnessFirst

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:47:27 pm »
Hooray! I'll surely pass at this rate :)

Lol my teacher will probably be like GTFO.

Hellhole

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:18 pm »
Private schools get same amount of funding as public schools = government fail.

Camo

• Sir President Father Professor Sergeant Admiral Grandmaster Camo OAM
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • I love you like the little taco's.
  • Respect: +62
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »
We aren't really taught well enough in year nine and ten. Teachers just seem to focus on VCE and not on the earlier years, or thats what has happened during my education. Now that I'm in year 12 this students are 'discplined' by going to a year 12 class. I mean, these annoying brats are sent to annoy us when we are learning? I'm sick of it! :(
‎"We divert our attention from disease and death as much as we can; and the slaughter-houses and indecencies without end on which our life is founded are huddled out of sight and never mentioned, so that the world we recognize officially in literature and in society is a poetic fiction far handsomer and cleaner and better than the world that really is."
- William James.

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:00:03 pm »
kids don't learn anything in the same method in which you are required to learn in VCE from prep-10. Having done shit all "learning" during these years is what lets them down. Imo it is why you find that kids who are made to learn instruments, certain sports, even cooking, can pick up other subjects a lot faster, because they can actually take in information.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:12:47 pm »
Hi guys, I'm just wondering what you guys think of the Australian school system. You can compare it with other international schools. Also, it can be about the VCE, or just elementary.

Its for my English Oral btw.

Abroad (Europe and Asia mainly), the kids rocking up to primary school are actually students, as they actually learn and do work that will be beneficial to their education. In my primary school, we were adding improper factions at yr6, while in India (for example), that is like yr1 stuff... Overall, our primary standard is way lower.

schnappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »

This. It's an outrate. I can assure you if I ever find myself so lazy I become a politician with any power - I would fix this. Private schools are private, they should get $0 of state funds... in fact last I heard anything on this issue private schools got significantly more money.

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:45:41 pm »

This. It's an outrate. I can assure you if I ever find myself so lazy I become a politician with any power - I would fix this. Private schools are private, they should get $0 of state funds... in fact last I heard anything on this issue private schools got significantly more money.

While I agree that private schools should have less funding then government schools, for them to have none is also a bit too far. People who send their kids to private school still pay taxes, and in fact it's the richer proportion of the population that is sending their kids to private schools and therefore probably financing the public schools most without any reward. The situation right now is unbalanced for sure and public should definitely be getting more then private, but neither should private schools be getting nothing.
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

appianway

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:31:46 am »
IMO, the biggest problem with education here is that we somehow fail to foster fluency in any languages other than english.

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:14 am »

Private schools should be getting more money than that of public in total (including costs of annual fees by parents). Average public school student is around 10k, private sector probably above that by 3k ish? or more...I can't remember the stats for the private school sector, but its fair. They are paying taxes for the public school sector AND are paying more to gain a better education for their children. Pretty equity to me, and capitalist.

And Prep - Year 10: Force kids to read books.... Everything else...useless!
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:24:59 am »

Giving no funding to private schools would just worsen the problem

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »
IMO, the biggest problem with education here is that we somehow fail to foster fluency in any languages other than english.

YES. YES YES YES.

It's embarrassing how many countries teach their kids to speak pretty much fluent English, and yet the majority of kids here are barely at basic level in a LOTE.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

FatnessFirst

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:36:58 pm »
kids don't learn anything in the same method in which you are required to learn in VCE from prep-10. Having done shit all "learning" during these years is what lets them down. Imo it is why you find that kids who are made to learn instruments, certain sports, even cooking, can pick up other subjects a lot faster, because they can actually take in information.

I agree. When I came here in Australia, We were still doing basic multiplication and division in year 6 when that was work for grade 2 in asia.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »
for a different perspective,
compare our student suicide rates to other countries.. i think we do pretty well in that sector
australian schooling = little stress = great

I also don't mind that we're not made to learn a second language...
many immigrants of asian/euro origin can speak a language other than english fluently, and english is a global language, so that's why other countries teach english..
for example, you dont see indians speaking french, lol =D

And i know that in many overseas countries, the education system isn't about applying knowledge or even learning,
It's literally just about how much you can memorise
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me