Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:17:22 am

Author Topic: How to smash year 12? Am I behind??  (Read 1129 times)

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
How to smash year 12? Am I behind??
« on: January 20, 2019, 11:55:13 pm »
Hey atarnotes fam <3

So I haven't done much these holidays besides finish mediocre summary notes for term 1 which I should have done already, while also going to the hsc lectures at UTS for most subjects. I just don't know how to study tbh lol.
I'm kinda anxious with kids around me studying ahead or being more productive.
I'm not sure what to do to be efficient with my time as most people are telling me to relax and take a break this holiday, so I was just wondering if I could get some advice??

P.S - the hsc lectures were lit, thanks to the organisers  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:03:10 am by KingTings »
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: How to smash year 12? Am I behind??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:22 am »
+8
Hey, KingTings!

Glad to see you're reaching out about your concerns! I will be happy to reassure you that there is nothing to fear. I remember only completing my summary notes for Term 1, reading my next prescribed texts for English and going to the UTS lectures myself during the six week break. I also had rehearsals for a musical I was in so that took a lot of what could have been productive study time. It made me really anxious seeing how much others were getting done and how ahead they were going. As someone who knows exactly how you are feeling now, I just want to say that it's completely okay to be worried but there's no need to fret that you're behind  ;D

Taking this break is really important because the rest of the year gets quite hectic. I think that relaxing and checking in with yourself is crucial to succeeding in the HSC, especially when it is all really fast-paced. Productivity is also really relative; you decide yourself what progress is. I think what you have done so far is enough but if you wish to get back into the swing of things in the next few days, here's what I would recommend!

- Revise your feedback from previous assessments and compile them together. Putting all your strengths and areas to improve on a page can help you devise strategies for the next assessments and take on the feedback more holistically. Whether this be in how you write your essays or correcting errors in your responses, you will be more aware of what you need to do next and how you can achieve these goals.
- Read your prescribed text/s for English. Get a head start on them if you haven't already so once you start class, you can dive straight into the module and content with the text already read/watched.
- Watch some summary videos/listen to podcasts for any other subjects that have heavy content. This can give you a great overview of what you will be studying in the upcoming weeks and provide you with a foundation to work with. I did this for Modern History and found it incredibly helpful. These are not only effective study methods, but also fun ones to keep you engaged in your work and still entertained.
- Complete a practice paper if you're up for a challenge. I would recommend this more with Mathematics or subjects with a similar test nature so you can refresh your knowledge and apply it in an exam-style situation. No need to time yourself; just work at your own pace and take your time to answer the questions thoroughly.

Hope this helps and good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions and do feel free to send work in for Marking and Feedback if you would like further assistance :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:23:01 am »
+9
Hi KingTings!

While a lot of people use these holidays to get crazy ahead, it's nothing to worry about. Plus, it may not feel like it but you still have plenty of time to get something done. The best thing to do now would be to read prescribed texts for English (and maybe find out a little more about the new module), do your holiday hw (if you have any), do y11 math yearlies as you won't really have much time to 'master' year 11 and it is assessable at the end of the year and if you still have some time, write notes ahead for content heavy subjects so you only need to fix up and add more information during the term.

A main thing to remember is that this is the last big break we get before the pressures of the HSC come and we won't have time to relax and enjoy our break, so it's important to use it to relax so you're not burnt out when the term starts.
If you aim to study 2-3 hours for the next week and a half (assuming school starts for you on thurs); you would've studied about 14-21 hours, this doesn't include weekends. So I guess theres no time like the present, plus doing this may help to get you back into the routine of school.

Hope this helped!
meerae
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

supR

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 07:23:38 pm »
+3
I love the answers that others have provided, they are rather detailed and accurate to how to use your holidays effectively c:

I definitely would not feel pressured to study heaps in the holidays, but the time is available and it is wise to use it!
Personally, I made a timetable for the holidays to study and made sure that all my notes were up-to-date, and then I tried to learn the next topic in line so I would have a bit of a buffer, but this wasn't to be perfected as it was my first time tackling the content.

I also tried to do some maths each day to stay on top of it, as minor concepts are easy to forget and they can bite you in the butt later cx

Best of luccck c:
HSC 2018 - 98.50 ATAR
Please check out my Youtube c: I upload every Tuesday and Friday c: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1c_bBjSE6oNNYgt4CK0DA