Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:13:23 am

Author Topic: How to Write a Module B Essay  (Read 81653 times)

Faith_7

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: How to Write a Module B Essay
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2017, 06:10:17 pm »
Hi,
If a question was purely theme-based such as 'how significant is loyalty in Hamlet', would you be able to incorporate other themes in the body paragraphs to answer the questions or would you have to use key scenes instead.

Thanks

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2017, 07:01:47 pm »
+1
Hi,
If a question was purely theme-based such as 'how significant is loyalty in Hamlet', would you be able to incorporate other themes in the body paragraphs to answer the questions or would you have to use key scenes instead.

Thanks

I definitely think you could incorporate other themes but you would need to do it skilfully to be sure you aren't just ignoring the question. It shouldn't be too hard though. So, if you also want to look at the theme of deceit, you can look at the way loyalty and deceit interact. Does one character remain loyal until greed takes over? Or, can you make a comparison about two different characters, one who is greedy, and one who is loyal, and make a conclusion about their representation in the text? Perhaps saying that loyalty can be appreciated by an audience if it is contrasted with a character of greed?

I've just made up this extra theme, but hopefully you see what I'm saying. if you pursue other themes they need to be somehow in relation to the original theme to show the marker that you aren't just going off on a tangent, you're actually richening the discussion :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

theblackswan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2017, 07:32:29 pm »
Hey, do you have any tips on how to articulate and express yourself clearly in essays? There are some people who just effortlessly structure their sentences in such a complex and detailed manner! Thanks! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2017, 07:59:22 pm »
+1
Hey, do you have any tips on how to articulate and express yourself clearly in essays? There are some people who just effortlessly structure their sentences in such a complex and detailed manner! Thanks! :)

Great question!

Well,
I think the people who express themselves the best are able to do so because they have a very clear structure in their mind. For me, I wrote essay plans over and over before I actually started the essay. Then I'd write the introduction, and then go back to my essay plan (which was usually quite visual) and reconsider. Lots, and lots of drafting is involved.
I think use of synonyms is important as well. The best essays understand and employ words in a way that is most appropriate. Admittedly, I'd often turn to thesaurus.com to find a better word. But, choosing a word without properly researching and understanding it's connotations often leads to people losing the sophisticated credibility of their essay.
Of course, the quality of ideas comes into this in a huge way. For me, my ideas always start small and I have an incredibly long planning process, note making, rewriting ideas, connecting parts of the texts, taking on different literary perspectives, etc. I know some people have a fabulous way of managing to connect complicated ideas immediately, but I'm not one! My process of coming up with ideas is long, and quite creative. I know it's a struggle for people who are more "math-brained" but usually they can turn out very precise essays through other processes!

I think it's also incredibly important to read your essay orally and look closely at how language flows or jars. Jarring words can affect the overall precision of your essay. Make sure the sentences are not too long, which I know becomes an issue as we try to express more complicated ideas and the syntax gets lost in it all.

Is there a particular piece of feedback you've been given that you want to focus on? Is it expression of ideas, connecting texts, techniques? Happy to help :)

tang0cat1

• Adventurer
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2017, 10:19:31 am »
My teacher hates the word "themes" so how could I refer to the various themes in Hamlet e.g. loyalty and morality without using that word? Are they the same as "concepts" or is that slightly different?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2017, 10:46:41 am »
+1
My teacher hates the word "themes" so how could I refer to the various themes in Hamlet e.g. loyalty and morality without using that word? Are they the same as "concepts" or is that slightly different?

Hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D

'Concept' works! So does 'idea.' You can even broaden a little by playing with sentence structure. For example:

The composers use of symbolism suggests that morality is of paramount importance.

I've not used either word, but still been able to discuss morality as something the composer suggests to us :) hope this helps!

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2017, 04:33:38 pm »
Hiiii!

I'm stuck on essay writing for Nonfiction- Speeches, which I have an assessment for next Tues!! While reading up on tips etc, somewhere said to write paragraphs based on concepts rather than themes. Isn't this the same thing? :S *confusion*
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:09 pm »
+1
Hiiii!

I'm stuck on essay writing for Nonfiction- Speeches, which I have an assessment for next Tues!! While reading up on tips etc, somewhere said to write paragraphs based on concepts rather than themes. Isn't this the same thing? :S *confusion*
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Hey! It pretty much is - From my perspective the difference is that a concept has some level of opinion or specificity attached to it. So for example, love. That is a theme. Love can be detrimental to self worth. That is a concept - At least that's how I view it! Perhaps the guide was referencing the importance of having specific high order paragraph topics, not just simplistic themes like "love" and "hope" :)

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2017, 07:19:43 pm »
Hey! It pretty much is - From my perspective the difference is that a concept has some level of opinion or specificity attached to it. So for example, love. That is a theme. Love can be detrimental to self worth. That is a concept - At least that's how I view it! Perhaps the guide was referencing the importance of having specific high order paragraph topics, not just simplistic themes like "love" and "hope" :)

Ahhh That makes sense!
So instead of using "justice is explored...", I'd say something like "The speeches aim to unify and bring justice to the Indigenous population through appealing to the audiences' ethics, as seen in..."?
Sorry I have another question hahah
I saw a structure like this somewhere:
Intro
Thesis 1
Thesis 1
Thesis 2
Thesis 2
Conc

By basing body paras on 'concepts' and expanding on these, would it effectively become another thesis statement fitting under the overarching one like in here?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »
+1
Ahhh That makes sense!
So instead of using "justice is explored...", I'd say something like "The speeches aim to unify and bring justice to the Indigenous population through appealing to the audiences' ethics, as seen in..."?
Sorry I have another question hahah
I saw a structure like this somewhere:
Intro
Thesis 1
Thesis 1
Thesis 2
Thesis 2
Conc

By basing body paras on 'concepts' and expanding on these, would it effectively become another thesis statement fitting under the overarching one like in here?

Yep, you're correct on both counts - Your paragraphs become like "mini Theses" that then support your larger Thesis "umbrella" that you establish at the start ;D

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2017, 08:32:17 pm »
Yep, you're correct on both counts - Your paragraphs become like "mini Theses" that then support your larger Thesis "umbrella" that you establish at the start ;D
Bless!! Thanks so much :D

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:44 pm »
Bless!! Thanks so much :D

oh no I'm back with another question-
when talking about the contextual reception of speeches, I understand we can do research to get a feel of the societal attitudes, etc. but because we are studying speeches, should I also incorporate some of the reactions caught on recording at the Redfern Speech (wherein you can hear angry protesting by some people)?
We are only provided with the transcripts by NESA but shouldn't it also be important to consider the actual delivery of said speeches?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:56 pm »
+1
oh no I'm back with another question-
when talking about the contextual reception of speeches, I understand we can do research to get a feel of the societal attitudes, etc. but because we are studying speeches, should I also incorporate some of the reactions caught on recording at the Redfern Speech (wherein you can hear angry protesting by some people)?
We are only provided with the transcripts by NESA but shouldn't it also be important to consider the actual delivery of said speeches?

Hey! Great pickup - You should definitely consider the delivery and how it was received at the time. Reference to the audience reaction is definitely a good thing ;D

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:09 pm »
+1
This is sooo helpful right now my school is doing module B at the moment with speeches and I'm really worried about knowing all of them. the noticed pattern suggests the hsc hopefully wont ask provide an excerpt this year in the question which is reassuring but obviously I cant count on that. I'm so worried about remembering analysis for multiple essays and on top of that not knowing what i'm going to have to write about on the day for this module.
biggest fear rn: getting an excerpt from a text i dont know in enough depth  :'(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2017, 11:32:09 am »
This is sooo helpful right now my school is doing module B at the moment with speeches and I'm really worried about knowing all of them. the noticed pattern suggests the hsc hopefully wont ask provide an excerpt this year in the question which is reassuring but obviously I cant count on that. I'm so worried about remembering analysis for multiple essays and on top of that not knowing what i'm going to have to write about on the day for this module.
biggest fear rn: getting an excerpt from a text i dont know in enough depth  :'(

I had poems for Module B so I understand the panic about them specifying a text or, even more scary, an aspect of that text. I think this re-affirms the fact that you cannot leave it to chance, and need to approach every text. Leave no stone unturned! If you are a star in one text, it's time to put that one aside and work on the ones that scare you, because that's when you know you'll panic in an exam! Spread your time between the texts in your study time, be wise :)