Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:02:52 am

Author Topic: England v. Australia 2019  (Read 8502 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
England v. Australia 2019
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:40:03 pm »
+3
Good to get some test cricket back finally (referring to the Ashes) but also England v. Ireland.

I guess the Haddin XII vs Hick XII is the "unofficial" start of the tour for Aus - interesting first day basically Australia's top six and backup top six all got out for not much - don't think it helps the selectors too much with no real outstanding performance for batting.

Also on a different note this will be the first test of the 2019-2021 ICC World Test Championship.
I love that they have done something to bring a bit more meaning to Test series - hopefully that results in more viewership/attendance. I have a feeling though that given the tournament-style (each team does NOT play everyone else & home advantage will also be a factor e.g. India have to play away to Aus (but not the other way around) there will be a few unhappy teams in a few years.

So questions:
what lineup would you go with for the first test for Australia? (I'll probably wait till this practice match is over to think about it)
Thoughts on this new Test tournament?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:52:17 pm by Sine »

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
Re: England v. Australia 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 10:33:19 pm »
And England are all out for 85 against Ireland (with a team including a former England player). I don't think either England or Australia would have hoped for this start to their Ashes preparation...
Here's hoping Ireland notch a maiden Test win.

I'm really not sure about Australian team selection, but I'm really hoping they finally give Wade a chance as a batsman. He's done everything the selectors asked and more in the last 9 months or so.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »
So questions:
what lineup would you go with for the first test for Australia? (I'll probably wait till this practice match is over to think about it)

Warner, Bancroft(preferred)/Harris, Khawaja(pending on injury)/Labuschagne(if Khawaja is injured), Smith, Handscomb, Head, Paine (c) +, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon. On the 'bench' - Wade, Pattinson, Holland, Bird, one of Harris/Labuschagne

Thoughts on this new Test tournament?

It's pretty damn good. It's not perfectly refined (with the flaws mentioned) but overall it presents higher stakes and higher incentives in that there's a big match at the end akin to a final. Looking forward to this :D
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 11:10:53 pm »
+1
Alright, Australia has announced the 17 player squad. I would probably go with the following lineup

1. Bancroft
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c/wk)
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

The most questionable positions for me would be Head at number 5 (although not sure AUS has an alternative option in the current squad) and also the third pace bowler (after Cummins/Pattinson).

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 08:08:08 pm »
+1
So keen for this. I think I'm pleasantly surprised by selection?

Bancroft
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Siddle

Feels like Siddle could have retired five years ago, but he just keeps chipping away.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 08:31:17 pm »
+2
Such a good game plan for England with Broad vs Warner coming wide on the crease, pitching up and giving no room. Had him first ball but didn't walk.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »
+2
Such a good game plan for England with Broad vs Warner coming wide on the crease, pitching up and giving no room. Had him first ball but didn't walk.

Really good start for England. Both openers done. Lots of pressure on Khawaja and Smith now.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 06:43:25 pm »
+3
How good is Steve Smith, though? I only watched until lunch. Sounds like it was an awesome innings.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 10:12:06 pm »
+3
England won that first session - another wicket and it would've been even imo

Root gotta make this innings count - already batted around 90mins in the morning session (generally the most difficult part of the day) and has been very lucky - Pattison hitting the off stump but the bails didn't get dislodged  :(

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 10:15:16 pm »
+1
England won that first session - another wicket and it would've been even imo

Root gotta make this innings count - already batted around 90mins in the morning session (generally the most difficult part of the day) and has been very lucky - Pattison hitting the off stump but the bails didn't get dislodged  :(

Thought Lyon's LBW was out live, too. Bit of an almost session for Australia.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 09:05:16 pm »
+3
If AUS can get around 350 they would be ahead in the game imo. Something like 250 could be a very tricky chase on day 5.

Yesterday - the second innings in a row Warner didn't walk after a massive edge, obviously entitled to do so, but pretty embarrassing when DRS finds you out within 30 seconds.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 04:22:08 pm »
+1
What an amazing game one.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 01:28:12 am »
+3
Sickening blow to the back of the neck of Smith. Looked horrible in real-time, was really concerned - he was straight to the ground I probably wouldn't have wanted him to come back so quickly after that.

Obviously, apart from that incident, it was a great session (2nd) of test cricket.

Archer was ridiculously good on debut, his figures don't reflect this too much. Any doubts on the ability to bowl long spells (if anyone had them, although he was fine in county cricket) should be gone now - bowled 29 overs including that last spell of 8 where he was consistently hitting that 145-150k/h mark. However, England definitely shouldn't be getting him to do that every innings.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:30:10 am by Sine »

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 06:19:40 pm »
Against lesser teams Archer wont need too, he'll just blow through them. His figures are a testament to the fight the Australian batsmen showed in difficult conditions. Th fact that he can bowl these long spells at quality will be very useful for England against strong batting line ups like India (anywhere), Pakistan & Sri Lanka (at home) and pitches where he wont get assistance.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 07:40:23 am »
+3
Big, big ouch.