Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:33:50 pm

Author Topic: 2014 Scaling  (Read 7385 times)  Share 

KingDrogba

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Marcellin
  • School Grad Year: 2015
2014 Scaling
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:51 am »
Hey there,

Just got my score back doing Texts and Traditions as a year 11 student, in doing so i am only giving the raw score (which was 39) can someone tell me how much this will be scaled who did the subject this year? Up? Down? the Same?

Thank you very much
2014: Text and Traditions 39
2015: Chemistry, Methods, Biology, English and History:Revolutions

I just want a 40 in Chemistry so i can run down my street naked, is that too much to ask?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: 2014 Scaling
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:19 am »
I got 46, which scaled to 45.95 (i.e. stayed the same).  The scaling report says it's neutral at 40, doesn't scale at all.
Well done for the 39, that was great :D! So close to the 40!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

nerdmmb

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:59 am »
I got 46, which scaled to 45.95 (i.e. stayed the same).  The scaling report says it's neutral at 40, doesn't scale at all.

Yeah TT has not scaled at all in the past two years but wow amazing score!

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:42 pm »

Hey I'm doing text next year for 3/4 any advice ? I'm aiming for in the 40's too

nerdmmb

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:59:12 pm »
+1
Hey I'm doing text next year for 3/4 any advice ? I'm aiming for in the 40's too

Although I didn't do very well, my advice would be to really study your texts throughly and treat your exegesis like language analysis peices though there are a few minor differences. Don't be disheartened with your marks at first, I know that students in my class didn't start off with 90s but one of them ended up getting a 45 due to lots of practice and consistency in revising the texts throughout the year.
Timing is also really crucial but I would recommend writing really well structured responses and incorporating as much depth as you possibly can- often what separates high achieving students from those who do not score well in the subject is how analytical and detailed their response is. With Texts and Traditions, they don't necessarily give marks to students with perfect English and vocab- that's not a priority however if you're good at, well then it gives you a slight advantage.
Overall, practising your writing and constantly seeking feedback from your teacher really helps. Try to separate your notes according to the texts and discuss them with your friends and teachers- this way, the information not only stays fresh in your mind but you'll be able to explore the different aspects of the texts and hence score better.

Best of luck! :) And remember, this subject will only become enjoyable to you when you want it to :)

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

For starters, just a warning: for me, this was the subject I had to work hardest for - there's no textbook and few resources; because there are four different sections, the study design isn't clear, simple and defined; and there's no 'right way' to do it - you just have to rely on your teacher to show you how to do it.  But if you can become passionate about doing it, you'll easily get over this.  At the start of the year, exactly 46 was my aim; and it's just what I got.  If you work and enjoy, you can achieve.

Read my other posts with hints; these are the biggest:

- know your text INSIDE OUT, not just the special chapters - learn important quotes with their references, and the verse references for each passage/story/section

- practice writing, timed, and ensure you, the teacher, or friends, edits each piece of work afterwards to figure out how you could have improved it/what details you missed out

- ask, ask, ask specific questions (the teacher, friends, atarnotes)

- never give up!  Occasionally, especially at the start, writing an exegesis or essay can just be overwhelming.  But as nerdmmb says, you'll figure it out with practice and teacher support - if you've worked, by the exam you should be fine!  You learn so much through the year, what seems overwhelming at the start becomes second nature by the end.

- get off to a good start by reading your set text and starting to learn the flow/order of the book, especially the special chapters, and what happens where: I suggest making cue cards of a chapter/Surah and what happens in it.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »
+1

For starters, just a warning: for me, this was the subject I had to work hardest for - there's no textbook and few resources; because there are four different sections, the study design isn't clear, simple and defined; and there's no 'right way' to do it - you just have to rely on your teacher to show you how to do it.  But if you can become passionate about doing it, you'll easily get over this.  At the start of the year, exactly 46 was my aim; and it's just what I got.  If you work and enjoy, you can achieve.

Read my other posts with hints; these are the biggest:

- know your text INSIDE OUT, not just the special chapters - learn important quotes with their references, and the verse references for each passage/story/section

- practice writing, timed, and ensure you, the teacher, or friends, edits each piece of work afterwards to figure out how you could have improved it/what details you missed out

- ask, ask, ask specific questions (the teacher, friends, atarnotes)

- never give up!  Occasionally, especially at the start, writing an exegesis or essay can just be overwhelming.  But as nerdmmb says, you'll figure it out with practice and teacher support - if you've worked, by the exam you should be fine!  You learn so much through the year, what seems overwhelming at the start becomes second nature by the end.

- get off to a good start by reading your set text and starting to learn the flow/order of the book, especially the special chapters, and what happens where: I suggest making cue cards of a chapter/Surah and what happens in it.

Thank you for the insight, not much people do this subject so it's quite difficult to know what your getting into at first, thanks again!