Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:03:32 pm

Author Topic: Monash Summer/Winter Research Programs  (Read 2410 times)  Share 

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
Monash Summer/Winter Research Programs
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with applying/doing a Monash Summer/Winter Research program, particularly as a non-Monash student? What sort of WAM is considered "competitive" enough for these programs and does it carry a heavy weighting in selection or do they also heavily consider things like the written statement and/or interview?

Cheers!
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]
My Indo Advice Thread :)

Tutoring for Methods in 2020.
Click here for more info

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Monash Summer/Winter Research Programs
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 02:23:18 pm »
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with applying/doing a Monash Summer/Winter Research program, particularly as a non-Monash student? What sort of WAM is considered "competitive" enough for these programs and does it carry a heavy weighting in selection or do they also heavily consider things like the written statement and/or interview?

Cheers!

Hey auds!

I participated in a Winter Research Project last year. Are non-Monash students eligible? For some reason, I just assumed it was a Monash-exclusive sort of thing, but very happy to be corrected on that.

For which faculty is this? I feel that may dictate to a certain degree what sort of things are valued in the application process. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »

Hey auds!

I participated in a Winter Research Project last year. Are non-Monash students eligible? For some reason, I just assumed it was a Monash-exclusive sort of thing, but very happy to be corrected on that.

For which faculty is this? I feel that may dictate to a certain degree what sort of things are valued in the application process. :)

Hey Joseph41!

I've double checked and non-Monash students are eligible provided they fulfill the prerequisites etc. There might be a preference for Monash students, although it's not explicitly stated there is.

It's for the Biomedical Science department :)
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]

Click here for more info

Alwin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +241
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:56:58 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

Cheers!

Hi,

I did a winter research project last year with the BusEco faculty in conjunction with Tennis Australia (would recommend/10, I had great supervisors). I'm not sure about WAM since I never asked the others I did it with but we all had good experience with R, the programming language we were told the research project would be used. In my written application I gave examples of where I had used R (in units and extracurricular) and even gave a link to a github repo of some of my code.

While this is obviously all very specific, I'd suggest for you to show a real interest in the research project. If you have high marks in a particular unit that's related to the  topic I'd probably state that as well as to give the supervisor(s) a better picture of you. Good luck!
2012:  Methods [48] Physics [49]
2013:  English [40] (oops) Chemistry [46] Spesh [42] Indo SL [34] Uni Maths: Melb UMEP [4.5] Monash MUEP [just for a bit of fun]
2014:  BAeroEng/BComm

A pessimist says a glass is half empty, an optimist says a glass is half full.
An engineer says the glass has a safety factor of 2.0

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:08 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

Cheers!

I did a Winter Research Scholarship with the Biological Sciences last year, so I'm a little closer in terms of experience than Alwin is to your situation. I actually don't have fantastic grades, so I'm not sure if grades were highly important. My area of specialty is in genetics whereas this was more ecology, so I think that was the most concerning aspect. They do consider the written statement a bit, but I'm not sure how much. I feel this is more about whether the project will fit you or not rather than if your grades are awesome.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:00:01 pm »
+1
@Alwin and AngelWings - thank you for your responses. It's reassuring to hear that marks aren't heavily weighted. I'll be applying for projects related to my Immunology major, fingers crossed I get a good outcome.

Indo SL [50]

Click here for more info

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »
Let us know how you go, auds! ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:41:52 pm »
@Alwin and AngelWings - thank you for your responses. It's reassuring to hear that marks aren't heavily weighted. I'll be applying for projects related to my Immunology major, fingers crossed I get a good outcome.
No worries. I hear a lot of people try out for med/ biomed-based projects, including the immunology-based ones, so I think it'll be more about whether you have any experience or not (excluding labs at uni) and whether you can be convincing in your statement. Good luck!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread