Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:24:40 am

Author Topic: Plans For VCE 1/2,3/4  (Read 20925 times)

aspiringantelope

Re: Plans For VCE 1/2,3/4
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2018, 07:14:20 pm »
+1
You don't have to do two 3/4's in Y11. Don't let others sway your decision making - it is about you and what you believe is best for you individually. This is a very common error students new to VCE make - choosing subjects due to opinions of others. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others.

Two 3/4's in Year 11 would definitely help ease your workload in Year 12, as you'd only need to do 4 to get the full six that will contribute to your ATAR.. But you can do 1 in Year 11 and 5 in Year 12, or even just stick with 4-5 as the last two only contribute 10% of the score to the aggregate.

From the list you've described above, you only have 5 3/4 subjects in total. Is this intended? While I understand, you still have a sixth option which can still contribute 10% of its study score to your aggregate... and if you get a 40 in the 6th subject, that's still a 4 added which when you get to the upper end, can mean quite a bit.

Edit: realised you meant English 3/4 in the first sub 2021. Just remember that to even get your VCE, you need at least 3 units of an english subject and there has to be a sequence of Units 3 and 4 involved.
Yep thanks! I've chosen to do two 3/4 subjects in Year 11 to alleviate the workload in Year 12 and focus mainly (not entirely) for "An English Subject", as it would be a prerequisite and that I could say that English is not one of my strongest subjects.
By the way, can anyone help me differentiate the difference between English, English Language and Literature?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:57:18 pm by aspiringantelope »

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:42 pm »
+4
To avoid derailing this thread, I'm going to mention some resources to check out re: English subjects and just PM you the rest of my reply.
By the way, can anyone help me differentiate the difference between English, English Language and Literature?
I wouldn't be overly concerned about picking your English subject right now. You can make the decision later and change if need be.

Having said that, if you desperately want to know, an explanation can be found here. You can also find out by reading their study designs. I've linked them here: English (mainstream), English Language and Literature.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:24:05 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 11:02:58 pm »
-snip-
In terms of Bio/Chem you'd probably have to go with chem since as you have said it is a prerequsitie for heaps more courses than Biology. However, to my knowledge Biology is a necessary prerequisite (no substitutes) for Dentistry @ Latrobe.

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2018, 08:26:13 am »
In terms of Bio/Chem you'd probably have to go with chem since as you have said it is a prerequsitie for heaps more courses than Biology. However, to my knowledge Biology is a necessary prerequisite (no substitutes) for Dentistry @ Latrobe.

Would you mind helping me choose which science subject/s to choose for VCE? I definitely know I am going to do physics as it is my favourite and the one that comes easiest to me. However, I chose to accelerate biology next year (now that I think about it it was a bad choice, I picked it because the school thinks physics and chemistry is 'too hard), but I have heard chemistry is a prerequisite for many courses around STEM in university. So, is it fine to do just one science subject, or should I pick a combination, either physics-bio or physics-chem?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2018, 09:49:05 am »
+3
Would you mind helping me choose which science subject/s to choose for VCE?
We can suggest things all we like but ultimately the decision rests upon you.
I definitely know I am going to do physics as it is my favourite and the one that comes easiest to me. However, I chose to accelerate biology next year (now that I think about it it was a bad choice, I picked it because the school thinks physics and chemistry is 'too hard), but I have heard chemistry is a prerequisite for many courses around STEM in university.
Chem is a prerequisite for several areas but probably not as many as you think. You can find out which ones here. Also, and this is my personal opinion, Chem isn’t a great subject to accelerate so you haven’t really lost anything. If you’re concerned, you could always do chemistry normally (U1/2 in Year 11, etc.) and alter your subjects slightly.
So, is it fine to do just one science subject, or should I pick a combination, either physics-bio or physics-chem?
You can do as few or as many science subjects as you like. There are no restrictions by VCAA as to how many science subjects will contribute to your final results, unlike other areas e.g LOTE or maths.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 10:08:34 am »
Would you mind helping me choose which science subject/s to choose for VCE? I definitely know I am going to do physics as it is my favourite and the one that comes easiest to me. However, I chose to accelerate biology next year (now that I think about it it was a bad choice, I picked it because the school thinks physics and chemistry is 'too hard), but I have heard chemistry is a prerequisite for many courses around STEM in university. So, is it fine to do just one science subject, or should I pick a combination, either physics-bio or physics-chem?

Generally if you want to get into a science course you need 1 science subject and methods or spec
For (bio)med you generally specifically require chem and methods or spec
At some unis engineering has the same prereqs as science but at Monash you specifically need chem or physics.
There are some courses with biology as a prereq but not many

If you want to look up different courses, this is a useful tool
Keep in mind that for the above courses, as with most courses you also need a minimum score in an English subject.

Is there anywhere in STEM in particular that you're interested in?

(Btw, I studied VCE bio, chem, physics & psych, and I wouldn't say there's anything particularly challenging about studying chem and physics together. )

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 02:30:58 pm »
We can suggest things all we like but ultimately the decision rests upon you.  Chem is a prerequisite for several areas but probably not as many as you think. You can find out which ones here. Also, and this is my personal opinion, Chem isn’t a great subject to accelerate so you haven’t really lost anything. If you’re concerned, you could always do chemistry normally (U1/2 in Year 11, etc.) and alter your subjects slightly.  You can do as few or as many science subjects as you like. There are no restrictions by VCAA as to how many science subjects will contribute to your final results, unlike other areas e.g LOTE or maths.

Thanks AngelWings. I took a look at the link you sent and  I think I will just keep the one physics subject with possibly the addition of biology as most of the engineering courses require one of chemistry of physics. As of now I'm not sure of which course or path I want to take yet but this should do for now. Thanks for your help!