Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:07:47 am

Author Topic: Vce work hard vs work smart  (Read 1074 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Vce work hard vs work smart
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:42:38 pm »
Who side are you on?

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Vce work hard vs work smart
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:55:05 pm »
+4
Who side are you on?
Work smart =). A basic example that I can give. A lot of people in my Maths Ext 1 class spent time doing Homework exercises from the easiest book which had questions that were practically never asked in exams because they were that easy. This meant they wasted a lot of time on those questions meanwhile the people that actually got a band 6 never did the homework.

The best combo you can have is doing both at the same time. It is the most efficient way of getting the marks that you want imo =)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:04:01 am »
+4
Extending from what Dr Dusk said, I don't know if you can work smart if you don't work hard. I think that there are definitely strategies you can use to make your study more productive, but at the end of the day, you still have to put the time into studying.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:24:11 am »
+1
Who side are you on?

Definitely the latter but, as above, that's not to say that getting great marks is easy or doesn't require effort. The best example of "working smart", to me, is limiting distractions before you start studying to maximise likelihood of a productive study session. There's nothing worse than sort of studying but also sort of Snapchatting for like three hours, getting to the end of it, and realising that a) you haven't learnt anything, b) you haven't enjoyed the last three hours, and c) you're super tired.

How about you, Stormbreaker-X?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 12:19:35 pm »
+3
Who side are you on?
Both I think. Really depends on your aims though.

Once you are going for the higher ATARs everyone is doing both in some form so there is no one who is just "working smart" - but if you didn't need to do that well or weren't aiming as high working smart is probably the way to go.

However, I do believe the term "work smart" is thrown around way too frequently without actually going in and explaining what this means (J41 has already given a great example).  I think a good example would be in the few days coming up to an exam - whilst a lot of people would be doing practice exams in full you could just read through the exams in your head - if you can solve/explain/answer in your head quickly or know what to do you can move on and identify the tricky questions which you would actually try to answer. This way you could get through heaps of exams. This would probably only work though if you had already done the work before to learn the content well. Another example is not going over stuff you already know well - I know a lot of high school students love revising topics they are good at but ultimately you will increase your scores by focussing on your weaknesses.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:27:39 pm »
+1

However, I do believe the term "work smart" is thrown around way too frequently without actually going in and explaining what this means

Absolutely - I think so many students would struggle to actually identify what this means to them!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.