Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:24:56 pm

Author Topic: Question about outcome 1  (Read 1389 times)  Share 

Aye Bay Bay

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Question about outcome 1
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:16 pm »
My first SAC for legal is coming up and my teacher said we have to know how parliament makes effective laws. Can anyone explain to me because I can seem to find anything in my text book on how parliament makes effective laws

costargh

Re: Question about outcome 1
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:12:56 pm »
Two things that contribute to making an effective law are:
That it is generally accepted by the community- If most people do not accept the law then they will not follow it, therefore it will be too hard to police as everyone would be breaking the law; rendering the law ineffective

That it is able to be enforced- A law needs to be enforceable otherwise the law will purely be there in theory but practically useless. Eg. A law that deals with online activities which may be too hard to police at the moment

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:32:32 pm »

costargh

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:14:08 pm »
Dude, I needed something to form the list and was using quick reply! lol

legaltutor

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:01:06 pm »
Remember that there is a difference between HOW parliament makes effective laws, and how one can tell if a law is effective. costargh 's examples are more "what makes a law effective"

That is, according to your phrasiology (double check with your teacher),  parliament makes effective laws through many things, for example delegating power to subordintae authorities who have more expereience and expertise in relevant areas, and hence are better informed to make speicific laws. (expand)
There are many others like the use of parliamentary draftspersons etc./

One warning though, check with your teacher which she/he is referring to so that you make sure not to lose sac marks on "gimme" questions.