Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:17:19 pm

Author Topic: Achieving at least a 30 study score with bad SAC scores?  (Read 12172 times)  Share 

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Achieving at least a 30 study score with bad SAC scores?
« on: August 02, 2018, 12:45:01 pm »
I've been doing terribly for the entire year, despite my working hard, it seems as if I'm doing it all wrong.
I'm the most concern for Methods and Economics. For Methods, my first SAC for Unit 3 was a bad 66% with the average being higher and many getting 80% and above. For my Second SAC for Unit 4, I went even lower despite walking out of the SAC thinking I did ok, with a low 57.5% and the average being 65% and again, many getting 80% and above. For economics, I've kinda given up with a 68%, 52% and 62% for Unit 3, many doing well for it.
I've been feeling unmotivated and very unconfident since I've seen my Methods scores and I really want to get a 30, but i feel that is too out of reach for me. I'm trying to work towards exams but I don't know anymore.
2017: Further Mathematics
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods
2019: Bachelor of Arts at UniMelb
My VCE Journal [click me!]

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Achieving at least a 30 study score with bad SAC scores?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:09:38 pm »
I have some good news for you. Your SAC score means precisely nothing if you are able to do well in your exam because your SAC score will go through the process of Statistical Moderation and might come out looking nothing like what your original SAC score was. The reason for this Statistical Moderation is because SAC might differ from school to school and this is a way to bring everything back to the same level. For a details official explanation see the link below:

https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/vce/exams/statisticalmoderation/statmod.aspx

Here is another explanation which is easier to understand in a more English like language :

https://teamgetintellect.wordpress.com/2015/08/05/4-most-common-questions-about-vce-sacs-answered/

Basically what it means is that all the SAC scores and exam scores are ranked and you will be assigned a SAC score base on your rank for the exam, so for example if you were rank No 1 in the exam score, you will be give the highest achieved SAC score ( and you can wave your own terrible SAC score goodbye and thank the person who scored the highest SAC score for his/her effort ). But then the flip side is also true, if you did really well in your SAC and fked up your exam then bad luck because the SAC score would be allocated to someone else.

I guess bottom line is save yourself by doing the best that you can in your exam and be thankful that your terrible SAC score have not managed to drag you down ( yet! ). However even if you end up not getting the ATAR score that you have hope for there are always different path you can take to achieve success so VCE doesn't have to be the thing that defines you.

lemonlemonlemon

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:00 am »
so for example if you were rank No 1 in the exam score, you will be give the highest achieved SAC score ( and you can wave your own terrible SAC score goodbye and thank the person who scored the highest SAC score for his/her effort ). But then the flip side is also true, if you did really well in your SAC and fked up your exam then bad luck because the SAC score would be allocated to someone else.
Rank 1 in SAC will receive the highest exam score as moderation, not the other way around. Since ranking are set in stone after SACs

rebeccacar

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 02:46:16 pm »
Rank 1 in SAC will receive the highest exam score as moderation, not the other way around. Since ranking are set in stone after SACs

That's not true, unless the the no.1 ranked in sac scores achieves a high score in the exams (which isn't always the case). Sac scores get moderated by your exam ranking. Let's say you're ranked 5th in sacs in your cohort, but rank 1 in exams, essentially you're sac marks are replaced with the no1. ranked in sacs marks.
Believe in yourself.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »
+3
That's not true, unless the the no.1 ranked in sac scores achieves a high score in the exams (which isn't always the case). Sac scores get moderated by your exam ranking. Let's say you're ranked 5th in sacs in your cohort, but rank 1 in exams, essentially you're sac marks are replaced with the no1. ranked in sacs marks.
Nope, you are misinformed.
That way, a person who simply has a bad exam day will suffer incredibly due to their bad luck. This is not what VCAA is trying to achieve. The purpose of sac moderation in general is to ensure consistency and fairness across schools with differing sac difficulties.
Your proposed method of moderation does not aim to balance but instead only manages to 'replace' sac scores of those people who did bad in SACs but smashed the exams with those who smashed SACs but may have struggled in the exam.

Lemonlemonlemon is actually right. Your SAC scores do not mean anything, at all. Your sac scores are actually determined by the exam performance by the same ranked person. For example, Rank 3 in SACs will receive the third highest exam score as their sac score. They will, however, maintain their exam score as is.
This method reduces inconsistencies that arise through varying sac difficulties by ensuring SACs are only determined by the VCAA exam which is secure and equal for all. The purpose of the in school SACs are to simply indicate the strength of students and thus who deserves higher SAC scores.

I encourage you to have a read of these for clarification -
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=178527.0
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=160060.0
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 03:11:15 pm »
+4
Nah you've got it the wrong way around.

SACs vary depending on what school you go to. The actual SAC marks are of absolutely no consequences - they are never involved in scaling.

Scaling involves rank and exam scores.

If you are rank 5, and then do the best in the exam, then it makes sense that you've just crammed really hard for the exam right? So part of your study score is just your exam mark (GA3) to recognise that you did manage to successfully cram.

The other part is based on your rank - otherwise the SACs would essentially be of no consequence, you could just bum around all year and then cram for the exam.
You are rank 5, so VCAA then gives you (approximately) the marks of the 5th best exam.

So say the exam scores are:
1 - 95%
2 - 93%
3 - 89%
4 - 86%
5 - 85%
6 - 82%
7 - 80%
8 - 72%
9 - 70%
10 - 66%

These exam scores are essentially subbed in for your raw SAC marks. So it doesn't matter who got them on the exam (you get your own score for GA3 but that's separate). So ranks 1-10 would get these exam scores in order from 1 -10. So the person who was rank 1 may have only been averaging 80% in SACs, but if your cohort got these exam scores that would mean that your SACs were harder than VCAA standards - which is why raw SAC marks are of no consequence. This is also why you should help everyone in your cohort revise and do well on the exam - ultimately it may end up helping you.

@lear beat me to it, but I'll post it anyway
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

rebeccacar

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 07:28:06 pm »
Nope, you are misinformed.
That way, a person who simply has a bad exam day will suffer incredibly due to their bad luck. This is not what VCAA is trying to achieve. The purpose of sac moderation in general is to ensure consistency and fairness across schools with differing sac difficulties.
Your proposed method of moderation does not aim to balance but instead only manages to 'replace' sac scores of those people who did bad in SACs but smashed the exams with those who smashed SACs but may have struggled in the exam.

Lemonlemonlemon is actually right. Your SAC scores do not mean anything, at all. Your sac scores are actually determined by the exam performance by the same ranked person. For example, Rank 3 in SACs will receive the third highest exam score as their sac score. They will, however, maintain their exam score as is.
This method reduces inconsistencies that arise through varying sac difficulties by ensuring SACs are only determined by the VCAA exam which is secure and equal for all. The purpose of the in school SACs are to simply indicate the strength of students and thus who deserves higher SAC scores.

I encourage you to have a read of these for clarification -
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=178527.0
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=160060.0
Nah you've got it the wrong way around.

SACs vary depending on what school you go to. The actual SAC marks are of absolutely no consequences - they are never involved in scaling.

Scaling involves rank and exam scores.

If you are rank 5, and then do the best in the exam, then it makes sense that you've just crammed really hard for the exam right? So part of your study score is just your exam mark (GA3) to recognise that you did manage to successfully cram.

The other part is based on your rank - otherwise the SACs would essentially be of no consequence, you could just bum around all year and then cram for the exam.
You are rank 5, so VCAA then gives you (approximately) the marks of the 5th best exam.

So say the exam scores are:
1 - 95%
2 - 93%
3 - 89%
4 - 86%
5 - 85%
6 - 82%
7 - 80%
8 - 72%
9 - 70%
10 - 66%

These exam scores are essentially subbed in for your raw SAC marks. So it doesn't matter who got them on the exam (you get your own score for GA3 but that's separate). So ranks 1-10 would get these exam scores in order from 1 -10. So the person who was rank 1 may have only been averaging 80% in SACs, but if your cohort got these exam scores that would mean that your SACs were harder than VCAA standards - which is why raw SAC marks are of no consequence. This is also why you should help everyone in your cohort revise and do well on the exam - ultimately it may end up helping you.

@lear beat me to it, but I'll post it anyway

Ohhhh okay I understand now...

But if you're ranked 1 in the exam and lets say ranked 10th in sacs, is that beneficial for yourself? Or does the rank 1 in sacs just initially steal your exam mark and then what are you left with?
Believe in yourself.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 07:41:42 pm »

Ohhhh okay I understand now...

But if you're ranked 1 in the exam and lets say ranked 10th in sacs, is that beneficial for yourself? Or does the rank 1 in sacs just initially steal your exam mark and then what are you left with?
Rank one in exams is always going to be beneficial because you will get that score for GA3. You will get (approximately) the 10th best exam mark as your scaled SAC mark - this reflects that throughout the year you did 10th best. This is also why it’s a good idea to help other at your school leading up to the exam - the better that 10th mark is, the better score you get.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:21:09 pm »
+2
I've been doing terribly for the entire year, despite my working hard, it seems as if I'm doing it all wrong.
I'm the most concern for Methods and Economics. For Methods, my first SAC for Unit 3 was a bad 66% with the average being higher and many getting 80% and above. For my Second SAC for Unit 4, I went even lower despite walking out of the SAC thinking I did ok, with a low 57.5% and the average being 65% and again, many getting 80% and above. For economics, I've kinda given up with a 68%, 52% and 62% for Unit 3, many doing well for it.
I've been feeling unmotivated and very unconfident since I've seen my Methods scores and I really want to get a 30, but i feel that is too out of reach for me. I'm trying to work towards exams but I don't know anymore.
Want to hear a true story? I did VCE Chemistry way back when with abysmal effect and low motivation for most of Unit 4. My SAC grades were not good at all and I was almost always under the average of my class. I still wound up with a SS in the 30s. (Side note: I now hold a minor in chemistry from uni.) Moral of the story is, it can be done.
For now, you need to ensure the rest gets better. Ask the teacher what you're doing wrong, pinpoint common mistakes, focus on areas you're uncomfortable with and continue to practise for exams (and correct them!). Most importantly, keep trying and don't give up. Good luck! 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:52:39 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread