Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:50 pm

Author Topic: VET Business  (Read 1010 times)  Share 

leaskie567

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
VET Business
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:41:54 pm »
+1
At mhs ATM, considering options for Y11 VCE, but wanted to know your thoughts on VET Business. I'd be doing it with the intention of getting somewhere in the high 40s - is this reasonably viable given I do my work and do a bit of revision? Are the skills a Cert 3 in Business equips you with at all useful in later life - will they help me get part time employment at uni or assist in setting up my own small business?
Thanks for reading, look forward to reading your thoughts.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: VET Business
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:05:13 pm »
+1
-snip-
At mhs ATM, considering options for Y11 VCE, but wanted to know your thoughts on VET Business. I'd be doing it with the intention of getting somewhere in the high 40s - is this reasonably viable given I do my work and do a bit of revision? Are the skills a Cert 3 in Business equips you with at all useful in later life - will they help me get part time employment at uni or assist in setting up my own small business?
Thanks for reading, look forward to reading your thoughts.
Hey there!
So, as per my signature, I did VET Business last year, and although my score isn't exactly marvelous ( :-\ ), I certainly believe that getting a 40+ in the subject is extremely viable, and indeed probable if you have a decent work ethic. The content throughout the year is not hard (VET, so I guess that's expected), and the fact that you already have a Cert III coming out of school is extremely handy when applying for jobs.
The critical compulsory unit for 3/4 is BSBWHS302 - Apply knowledge of WHS legislation in the workplace. This is just theoretical putting regulations into practise, and is pretty basic.  Many of the skills that the other (elective) units assess are theoretical, dealing with small parts of the day to day running of a business, like teaching you the correct way of archiving or maintaining business documents (BSBADM311). The majority of the remaining electives are common sense, such as producing basic word documents (BSBWRT301). Some of these units (BSBITU306 in my case) may also overlap with Cert IV training, which can be quite handy...

As far as life after school... A Cert III guarantees a certain minimum wage, for starters. Many of the units will also help you with simple office tasks, whether it is the day in day out jobs of a receptionist or just the general training in correct procedure and safe practice. I recon that this Cert III will also really help if you want to set up a small business after school, for much the same reasons.

So - The exam. If you are doing this as an ATAR applicable course, you will (as with all VCE subjects) need to do a bit of practice to not get a nasty surprise on the exam. Many of the students in my school got higher than 40, and 80% of my cohort got 37+, so it assuredly possible to get 40+.
Just get the basics down, and do a shit-load of practice exam-style questions, and you'll have that 50! :D

Further Reading
List of Units applicable/Program Summary
VCAA's page on VCE VET Business, particularly the ATAR Contribution section, including the note about post-2019 scoring changes...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:10:57 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

leaskie567

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:09:21 pm »
Hey there!
So, as per my signature, I did VET Business last year, and although my score isn't exactly marvelous ( :-\ ), I certainly believe that getting a 40+ in the subject is extremely viable, and indeed probable if you have a decent work ethic. The content throughout the year is not hard (VET, so I guess that's expected), and the fact that you already have a Cert III coming out of school is extremely handy when applying for jobs.
The critical compulsory unit for 3/4 is BSBWHS302 - Apply knowledge of WHS legislation in the workplace. This is just theoretical putting regulations into practise, and is pretty basic.  Many of the skills that the other (elective) units assess are theoretical, dealing with small parts of the day to day running of a business, like teaching you the correct way of archiving or maintaining business documents (BSBADM311). The majority of the remaining electives are common sense, such as producing basic word documents (BSBWRT301). Some of these units (BSBITU306 in my case) may also overlap with Cert IV training, which can be quite handy...

As far as life after school... A Cert III guarantees a certain minimum wage, for starters. Many of the units will also help you with simple office tasks, whether it is the day in day out jobs of a receptionist or just the general training in correct procedure and safe practice. I recon that this Cert III will also really help if you want to set up a small business after school, for much the same reasons.

So - The exam. If you are doing this as an ATAR applicable course, you will (as with all VCE subjects) need to do a bit of practice to not get a nasty surprise on the exam. Many of the students in my school got higher than 40, and 80% of my cohort got 37+, so it assuredly possible to get 40+.
Just get the basics down, and do a shit-load of practice exam-style questions, and you'll have that 50! :D

Further Reading
List of Units applicable/Program Summary
VCAA's page on VCE VET Business, particularly the ATAR Contribution section, including the note about post-2019 scoring changes...

I noticed a lot of people had trouble last year finding basic practice questions outside of past exams - did you know of any alternate practice exams or somesuch? It seems like the exam here depends largely upon one's ability to not just answer correctly but relevantly and concisely; did you find that to be a problem?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:18 pm »
I noticed a lot of people had trouble last year finding basic practice questions outside of past exams - did you know of any alternate practice exams or somesuch? It seems like the exam here depends largely upon one's ability to not just answer correctly but relevantly and concisely; did you find that to be a problem?
Well, I found a lot to be a problem, as my SS shows :-[
But our teacher had stores of practice exams that he printed out for us, so we were never short. I just didn't really do them... :'(
Conciseness was an issue (i'm very inclined to ramble), but we did most of our work throughout the year in dot point's which made revising (the little I did) pretty easy.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D