Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:17:00 am

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1235640 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #4065 on: May 05, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

I just need a hand with parts C and D for the question attached below (with answers attachment). For part C can you explain to me if there is an equation we should arrive to or just do all by the calculator? (I let 5t = 20ln(t+1)). And for Part D I'm just not sure how to do it.

Thanks

Hey! So for C, there is no nice way to solve that equation, so calculator work is all you have! :)

For D, the distance between them is given by (this gives a positive number when Henry is behind Thomas):

For maximum distance, we need to maximise this function. We can just differentiate!

And you can prove that's a maximum really easily! So it happens when \(t=3\) :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4066 on: May 05, 2019, 05:32:47 pm »
+1
yes there was, thank you so much for your help.

Alright assuming the typo, here's one example of a proof. You can probably find some other ones floating around in various textbooks.
\[ \text{Let }\boxed{\theta = \sin^{-1}x}\\ \text{and note that due to the range of inverse sine,}\\ -\frac\pi2 \leq \theta \leq \frac\pi2. \]
\[ \text{Then } \boxed{\sin \theta = x}\\ \text{but we note that }\cos \left( \frac\pi2 - \theta\right) = \sin x. \]
(This is the complementary angle identity from Year 11, but of course it was taught with \(90^\circ\) instead.)
\[ \text{Note that the range restriction can be rearranged into}\\ 0\leq \frac\pi2 - \theta \leq \pi.\]
\[ \text{As a consequence, we do not need to do any ASTC analysis}\\ \text{and conclude immediately that }\boxed{\frac\pi2 - \theta = \cos^{-1}x}.\\ \text{Subbing back }x=\sin^{-1}\theta\text{ gives}\\ \boxed{ \frac\pi2 - \sin^{-1}x = \cos^{-1}x }\text{ which rearranges to what we wish to prove.}\]

georgebanis

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4067 on: May 05, 2019, 06:42:14 pm »
+1
Hey! So for C, there is no nice way to solve that equation, so calculator work is all you have! :)

For D, the distance between them is given by (this gives a positive number when Henry is behind Thomas):

For maximum distance, we need to maximise this function. We can just differentiate!

And you can prove that's a maximum really easily! So it happens when \(t=3\) :)

Thanks for the explanation Jamon!

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4068 on: May 07, 2019, 10:54:17 pm »
Hey!

I've encountered many inverse trig function questions where they ask me to find the domain and range of a function within the function. I'm a little bit confused as to how to work these questions out. For example, this question:

If anyone could lend me a hand, I'd really appreciate it!!

HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4069 on: May 08, 2019, 08:27:14 am »
+2
Hey!

I've encountered many inverse trig function questions where they ask me to find the domain and range of a function within the function. I'm a little bit confused as to how to work these questions out. For example, this question:

If anyone could lend me a hand, I'd really appreciate it!!

\[ \text{Since }h(x) = \tan^{-1}x\text{ has natural domain all real }x,\\ \text{we only need to consider any domain restrictions on }g(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}. \]
Which is of course, just a semi-circle with radius 1, so we know its domain is \( -1\leq x \leq 1 \). This will then be the domain of \( h(g(x)) = \tan^{-1} \sqrt{1-x^2} \).
\[ \text{Now, the }\textbf{range}\text{ of the inner function }g(x)\\ \text{will be treated as a }\textbf{domain}\text{ restriction}\\ \textbf{only}\text{ for the outer function }h(x). \]
\[\text{Here, }\sqrt{1-x^2}\text{ has range }0\leq y \leq 1.\\ \text{So we need to consider the range of }\tan^{-1}x\\ \textbf{when}\text{ we restrict the range of }\tan^{-1}x\text{ to }0\leq x \leq 1. \]
\[ \text{Since }h(x) = \tan^{-1}x\text{ is monotonic increasing (just look at its graph)}\\ \text{we can basically infer it from the graph by focusing on its endpoints.}\\ \text{We know that }\tan^{-1}0 = 0\text{ and }\tan^{-1}1 = \frac\pi4\\ \text{so therefore the range will be }\boxed{0\leq y \leq \frac\pi4}. \]

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #4070 on: May 12, 2019, 06:59:08 pm »
Thank you for the solution to my previous question!

I need help with this question.... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4071 on: May 12, 2019, 07:33:05 pm »
+2
Thank you for the solution to my previous question!

I need help with this question.... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

\[ \text{If we set }\sin^{-1}x = \alpha\text{ we get }\boxed{\sin \alpha = \frac{x}{1}}.\\ \text{So we can draw a right-angled triangle with}\\ \text{opp side equal to }\alpha\text{ and hypotenuse equal to 1}. \]
\[ \text{Then using adjacent/hypotenuse}\\ \boxed{\cos\alpha = \sqrt{1-x^2}}. \]
Alternatively, if you want to do it properly..
\[ \text{Let }\sin^{-1}x = \alpha\\ \text{and note consequently that }-\frac\pi2 \leq \alpha \leq \frac\pi2\\ \text{from the range of the inverse sine function.} \]
\[ \text{Then }x = \sin \alpha.\\ \text{Since }\cos^2 x = 1-\sin^2 x\text{ we then have }\cos^2 x = 1-x^2\\ \text{and hence }\boxed{\cos x = \sqrt{1-x^2}}. \]
\[ \text{However }-\frac\pi2 \leq \alpha \leq \frac\pi2\text{ means that }\\ \alpha\text{ is in the first or fourth quadrants,}\\ \text{both of which we see that }\cos\alpha\text{ is positive.}\]
\[ \text{Therefore, taking the positive root, we have}\\ \boxed{\cos^{-1}\alpha = \sqrt{1-x^2}} \]
\[ \text{Similarly }\cos \beta = \sqrt{1-y^2}\\ \text{and thus}\\ \begin{align*} \sin (\alpha+\beta) &= \sin\alpha\cos\beta+\cos\alpha\sin\beta\\ &= x\sqrt{1-y^2} + y\sqrt{1-x^2}. \end{align*} \]
Take \(\sin^{-1}\) of both sides of that equation, sub back in for \(\alpha\) and \(\beta\) on the LHS, and you're done. The next bit should be easy - just sub those fractions in.

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #4072 on: May 12, 2019, 08:25:07 pm »
\[ \text{If we set }\sin^{-1}x = \alpha\text{ we get }\boxed{\sin \alpha = \frac{x}{1}}.\\ \text{So we can draw a right-angled triangle with}\\ \text{opp side equal to }\alpha\text{ and hypotenuse equal to 1}. \]
\[ \text{Then using adjacent/hypotenuse}\\ \boxed{\cos\alpha = \sqrt{1-x^2}}. \]
Alternatively, if you want to do it properly..
\[ \text{Let }\sin^{-1}x = \alpha\\ \text{and note consequently that }-\frac\pi2 \leq \alpha \leq \frac\pi2\\ \text{from the range of the inverse sine function.} \]
\[ \text{Then }x = \sin \alpha.\\ \text{Since }\cos^2 x = 1-\sin^2 x\text{ we then have }\cos^2 x = 1-x^2\\ \text{and hence }\boxed{\cos x = \sqrt{1-x^2}}. \]
\[ \text{However }-\frac\pi2 \leq \alpha \leq \frac\pi2\text{ means that }\\ \alpha\text{ is in the first or fourth quadrants,}\\ \text{both of which we see that }\cos\alpha\text{ is positive.}\]
\[ \text{Therefore, taking the positive root, we have}\\ \boxed{\cos^{-1}\alpha = \sqrt{1-x^2}} \]
\[ \text{Similarly }\cos \beta = \sqrt{1-y^2}\\ \text{and thus}\\ \begin{align*} \sin (\alpha+\beta) &= \sin\alpha\cos\beta+\cos\alpha\sin\beta\\ &= x\sqrt{1-y^2} + y\sqrt{1-x^2}. \end{align*} \]
Take \(\sin^{-1}\) of both sides of that equation, sub back in for \(\alpha\) and \(\beta\) on the LHS, and you're done. The next bit should be easy - just sub those fractions in.

Thank you so much for the quick reply! This helped me a lot!!  :)

saloni.aphale

• Adventurer
« Reply #4073 on: May 13, 2019, 09:55:28 pm »
Can someone please help me with the question i have attatched below, THANK YOU !!

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #4074 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:29 pm »
+3
Can someone please help me with the question i have attatched below, THANK YOU !!

'scuse me, just making an entrance into the math forums :c
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:24:45 pm by DrDusk »

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #4075 on: May 26, 2019, 06:44:38 pm »
I think I need a refresher of Perms and Combs... I still struggle with it as it's my worst performing topic for 3U :( I know this question is probably not too difficult, I just need some help;'')

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #4076 on: May 26, 2019, 07:33:56 pm »
+1
Hey there!

This one is a more intuitive solution than you'd think :)
There are 8! or 40320 ways for those people to go through the door. Now, John either goes before or after Barbara, so it makes sense that the number of ways John goes in after Barbara is just half that, or 20160 ways.

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Minivasili

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4077 on: May 27, 2019, 10:39:07 pm »
hey guys!!! i really need some help in my maths assesment for ext 1 which is on inverse functions.

the question is:
 use the theorem [g'(x) = 1/f'(g(x))] to find the gradient of the tangent to the curve y=f^-1(x) at the point (4,1)         
[in the previous question it is given that f(x) = x^3+3x]

thank you for your help :)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #4078 on: May 27, 2019, 11:07:17 pm »
+1
hey guys!!! i really need some help in my maths assesment for ext 1 which is on inverse functions.

the question is:
 use the theorem [g'(x) = 1/f'(g(x))] to find the gradient of the tangent to the curve y=f^-1(x) at the point (4,1)         
[in the previous question it is given that f(x) = x^3+3x]

thank you for your help :)

Let \( g(x) \) be \( f^{-1}(x) \). Then using the theorem, we have:
\[ \begin{align*} \left(f^{-1}(x) \right)’ = \frac{1}{f’\left(f^{-1}(x) \right)} \end{align*}. \]

Now at the point \( x = 1 \), we have \( f(1) = 4 \Rightarrow 1 = f^{-1}(4) \).

Next, we take the derivative of \( f(x) \) which gives us \( f’(x) = 3x^2 + 3 \). So at 1, we have \( f’\left( f^{-1}(4) \right) = f’(1) = 6.\)

Putting this all together finally gives you:
\[ \left(f^{-1}(4)\right)’ = \frac{1}{6}. \]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:19:50 pm by Opengangs »

Minivasili

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4079 on: May 27, 2019, 11:47:45 pm »
Hey, thank you so much for your help but I am still confused as to why we are using x=1 when the point is (4,1) so shouldn't X be 4. I'm sorry

Thanks again for your help