Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:16:51 am

Author Topic: cut-offs + question about mod c  (Read 1789 times)

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
cut-offs + question about mod c
« on: October 19, 2019, 01:11:12 pm »
What do we think English adv cut off will be this year. Lower since its a new syllabus?
Also kinda stressing about part b of mod c. I  explained well how i used language to evoke emotion and I also stated what my purpose was and what i wished for the audience to feel. However I was really rushed and didn't even mention how my creative came about!!  I didn't even reference the excerpt in part b. How much will this affect me seeing as the question didn't ask for an actual reflection but a comparison between my piece and the prescribed- which I did do?
thanks

elania2171

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: cut-offs + question about mod c
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 05:45:12 pm »
+1
Heard that it would be 80-84 for a band 6 - the new syllabus makes it lower.... you can also search "Raw HSC Marks" on google and search the website but idk if they are that reliable...

elania2171

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 05:54:32 pm »
+1
See attachment - someone gave me this from MOD C.

What I did was I took the extract - and because we had to 'continue' from it - I went on to craft the world of a soldier who fought in the My Lai Massacre and spoke about how the memories he had where like the 'book' which changed his perception of the world and 'turned him inside out' - inspired by Nam Le's text - and used the 'book' as a motif throughout my response by highlighting how he thought going to war would create a 'new chapter', but instead changed his perception of the world - basically using words from the extract to enhance my story and 'continue' on from it.. - wrote 9 pages all up for MOD C, pretty happy with how it turned out....

In the justification, I outlined my inspiration from MOD C, my audience, intent, why I chose the title - it was called 'And Pity' so i spoke about the titular focus etc..., how I evoked emotion, and how I continued on from the extract with my motif of the book/chapters... it was 4 pages total...hope it helps... have a look at the attachment/screenshot and don't be too worried - nobody knows what the marking will be like because it has never been marked before...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 05:56:28 pm by elania2171 »

dani01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 06:59:42 pm »
+1
See attachment - someone gave me this from MOD C.

What I did was I took the extract - and because we had to 'continue' from it - I went on to craft the world of a soldier who fought in the My Lai Massacre and spoke about how the memories he had where like the 'book' which changed his perception of the world and 'turned him inside out' - inspired by Nam Le's text - and used the 'book' as a motif throughout my response by highlighting how he thought going to war would create a 'new chapter', but instead changed his perception of the world - basically using words from the extract to enhance my story and 'continue' on from it.. - wrote 9 pages all up for MOD C, pretty happy with how it turned out....

In the justification, I outlined my inspiration from MOD C, my audience, intent, why I chose the title - it was called 'And Pity' so i spoke about the titular focus etc..., how I evoked emotion, and how I continued on from the extract with my motif of the book/chapters... it was 4 pages total...hope it helps... have a look at the attachment/screenshot and don't be too worried - nobody knows what the marking will be like because it has never been marked before...

Thankyou so much! Your story sounds so nice hope you get a good mark for that! Yeah I think my story was fine I mentioned the book saying how the words that she read echoed in her mind. Then I wrote about how the world was changing around her. I think I did a good job at continuing it my one worry is the reflection.
Hearing what you did for your reflection makes me more worried ngl ahaha. It alright though I was fine with all my responses except for the reflection. Hopefully I do well. Thanks for your reply though :))

elania2171

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 08:58:36 pm »
+1
Yes! That's exactly what I did but in a different context... I used Nam Le's piece and wrote about how people's perception of the war changed my character... you'll be fine...at least you utilised the extract...sooo many kids didn't  :-[ :o Reflection is so hard to judge though.... they didn't really state much more than evaluating the choice of one device from Mod C and how you created emotion. Based off what I've heard from everyone and their responses hahah you will be fine for not referencing a small extract  :D :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:01:48 pm by elania2171 »

worldno1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:42:08 pm »
Yes! That's exactly what I did but in a different context... I used Nam Le's piece and wrote about how people's perception of the war changed my character... you'll be fine...at least you utilised the extract...sooo many kids didn't  :-[ :o Reflection is so hard to judge though.... they didn't really state much more than evaluating the choice of one device from Mod C and how you created emotion. Based off what I've heard from everyone and their responses hahah you will be fine for not referencing a small extract  :D :D
Oh! So you could use the 'book' metaphorically? Phew, I thought I did it completely off. Because I set my piece in the Cultural Revolution and the 'book' became the words/propaganda of the Party that changed my character's perception of her world (I rephrased bits of the extract to add into my story as well). That should work as a continuation, right?

dani01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:48:25 am »
ok i just realised another thing. the extract says he and I used she. do you reckon it will be an issue.
(i should really move on from this I know)

worldno1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 10:21:25 am »
ok i just realised another thing. the extract says he and I used she. do you reckon it will be an issue.
(i should really move on from this I know)
Probably doesn't matter.

Can you answer my question above please?

(I'm finding it hard to move on too, smh)

dani01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 01:01:03 pm »
Yes I think yours could work well as a continuation as long as you explained in the reflection how you used the book metaphorically. or else they might be a bit confused

worldno1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 05:32:18 pm »
+1
Yes I think yours could work well as a continuation as long as you explained in the reflection how you used the book metaphorically. or else they might be a bit confused

Yeah, I recall mentioning that.

Time for both of us to move on!!! I lamented over mod C for ages....mainly because I felt like I hadn't executed my piece as well as I could've. But what's done is done! :)