Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:24 am

Author Topic: Ancient History Reading/Resource Guide  (Read 6172 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Ancient History Reading/Resource Guide
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »
+12
Hey hey hey!

I made one of these a while ago for Modern History, thought that it was about time that the ancient kiddos get some love too ;D

As many of you know (or should know!) a huge part of doing well in Ancient History is wide reading of different historians, perspectives and sources. Thus, I decided to make your job a little easier you're welcome ;) compiling an organised list of readings and resources that I found super useful last year while studying Ancient, including textbooks, historians works and documentaries/videos. I have organised them by topic/option. If you have any others post them below and I’ll add them to the list (particularly for some of the other options for the historial period/historical society/personality study)!

Before purchasing any of these take a look in your local/state library or see if there are any PDF’s online! A lot of these, though super helpful, are also super expensive, so shop smart ;)

Also! Please do not feel like you need to read all of these (or even the entirety of one of these) in order to do well! I definitely didn't do this, but I did make sure to read quite a few extracts and chapters from a variety of different sources, just so that I had a well rounded and thorough understanding of the topics.

GENERAL RESOURCES
Spoiler
These should be helpful no matter what options you are studying, and even cover a lot of the options themselves!

Anything written by Pamela Bradley - (The Ancient World Transformed is a fab textbook)

THE CORE: CITIES OF VESUVIUS - POMPEII AND HERCULANEUM
Spoiler
Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town by Mary Beard (documentary of the same name can be found here)
The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found by Mary Beard
Life and Death in Herculaneum by Wallace Hadrill (documentary)
Resurrecting Pompeii by Estelle Lazer
Cities of Vesuvius - Pompeii and Herculaneum by Pamela Bradley (this is a textbook - do not treat this like a historians text, i.e. quote it in essays)

ANCIENT SOCIETIES I: GREECE - SPARTAN SOCIETY TO THE BATTLE OF LEUCTRA 371 BC
Spoiler
BETTANY HUGHES BETTANY HUGHES BETTANY HUGHES Watch all of her documentaries on Sparta - legit tops! heres the link.
La Mirage Spartiate by Francois Ollier (obviously you're gonna want to try and find a translated version/extract. He's the guy that coined the phrase "Spartan Mirage"
The Spartans by Paul Cartledge (and anything else he wrote about them tbh)

PERSONALITY STUDY L: ROME - AGRIPPINA THE YOUNGER
Spoiler
The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius
Annals by Tacitus
Roman History by Cassius Dio
From the Gracchi to Nero: A History of Rome 133 B.C. to A.D. 68 by H.H. Scullard
Agrippina: Sex, Power, and Politics in the Early Empire by Anthony Barrett
The Women of the Caesars by Guglielmo Ferrero
Women and Politics in Ancient Rome by Richard A. Bauman
Claudius by Barbara Levick
Diva Drusilla Panthea and the Sisters of Caligula by S. Wood
The Incredible, Vanishing Wives of Nero by S. Wood
Representing Agrippina by Judith Ginsburg.
Ancients Behaving Badly, History Channel documentary. Episode Nero.

HISTORICAL PERIOD O: ROME - THE JULIO-CLAUDIANS AND THE ROMAN EMPIRE AD 14-69
Spoiler
The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius
Annals by Tacitus
Roman History by Cassius Dio
From the Gracchi to Nero: A History of Rome 133 B.C. to A.D. 68 by H.H. Scullard
Caligula: The Corruption of Power by Anthony Barrett
The Incredible, Vanishing Wives of Nero by S. Wood
Augustus and the Julio-Claudians

THE ANTI-LIST
Spoiler
Resources you should definitely (in the subjective opinion of sudodds pls don't sue me) not buy/use, mainly because they either a) offer an overly simplified version of the events b) present a very one dimensional view of an issue c) are just pretty bad at showing you how to construct a sophisticated argument/thesis. Again this is just my opinion (i'm a poor uni student i can't afford legal fees pls spare me)

Excel HSC Ancient History Study Guide
Anything written by Ken Webb

FUN/INTERESTING
Spoiler
These are just resources that aren't necessarily going to help you write the best ancient history essay ever, but are just some fun, interesting and unique books/videos/websites that will hopefully make history more enjoyable :)

- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari (one of the best books in existence I'm not willing to debate this sorry)
- Crash Course World History hosted by John Green on YouTube
- Anything Epic Rap Battles of History produces. Shaka Zulu vs. Julius Caesar is v good.
- Anything created by Horrible Histories. Legit a top notch show. Technically for kids, but it still won a British Comedy Award for the Best Sketch Show

*PS I'll probably update this every so often as I continue to read up on this stuff (yes I know I'm a massive nerd) + people send suggestions (please send suggestions  ;D) so check back here every so often to see if there is anything new :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:08:27 am by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Ancient History Reading/Resource Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:36:58 pm »
+7
Absolute ledge.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:45:21 pm »
+9
Absolute ledge.
By ledge do you mean potentially mythical, not sure if he actually existed, creator of the Great Rhetra of Sparta Lycurgus style ledge? or bamf Agrippina the Younger survived 3 assassination attempts by her own son style ledge? When it comes to ancient you really need to clarify. (either way thanks ;) )

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 01:54:07 pm »
+5
By ledge do you mean potentially mythical, not sure if he actually existed, creator of the Great Rhetra of Sparta Lycurgus style ledge? or bamf Agrippina the Younger survived 3 assassination attempts by her own son style ledge? When it comes to ancient you really need to clarify. (either way thanks ;) )

This is probably my favourite post in the history of ATAR Notes.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:25:47 pm »
+7
I'm calling the police
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32:01 pm »
+7
I'm calling the police
(Image removed from quote.)

memes and ancient history fb banter groups also count as A+ resources imo 10/10 would recommend

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:57:17 pm »
+8
Hey,
I found some websites this morning that may help you guys with archeological/written evidence for Sparta.
http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/sparta/explore/exp_set.html
This one's from the British museum and has almost 20 archeological/written sources of Sparta. It also can divide them into certain categories (women, mythology, warfare, food/feasting,craft skills, religion and daily life).
http://ancienthistorynotes.weebly.com/5-cultural-life.html
This website also includes some evidence/summaries of Sparta. I've linked it to the Cultural life section but it has evidence for a lot of the syllabus.
Hope this helps! I know I was struggling to find a lot of archeological sources for Sparta.

Susie, if I have posted in the wrong area-feel free to move this :).
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:30 pm »
+4
Hey,
I found some websites this morning that may help you guys with archeological/written evidence for Sparta.
http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/sparta/explore/exp_set.html
This one's from the British museum and has almost 20 archeological/written sources of Sparta. It also can divide them into certain categories (women, mythology, warfare, food/feasting,craft skills, religion and daily life).
http://ancienthistorynotes.weebly.com/5-cultural-life.html
This website also includes some evidence/summaries of Sparta. I've linked it to the Cultural life section but it has evidence for a lot of the syllabus.
Hope this helps! I know I was struggling to find a lot of archeological sources for Sparta.

Susie, if I have posted in the wrong area-feel free to move this :).
absolute gem as always Katie - these are awesome thanks so much for sharing - particularly as you are right, it is very difficult to find archeological sources for Sparta.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 02:24:39 pm »
+4
Hey,
I've got a few more things to add to the list :).
These are a bunch of podcasts-they are good if you don't want to read a textbook, and are a more aural learner, and they can be downloaded on your phone so you can listen to it anywhere. They can all be found on the iTunes podcast section but I have tried to include a link to their websites as well.
These don't contain a huge bunch of evidence but are more for content overviews:

Julio Claudians
The History of Rome by Mike Duncan (episodes 56-67) All of the episodes are between 20-30 minutes are really good/interesting. It's website is here! I've linked you the first podcast which is on the death of Augustus.
Emperors of Rome by Dr Rhiannon Evans and Matt Smith from La Trobe University. This has episodes on the four emperors and one on Agrippina. I think you'd be looking at episode 68-79. I haven't actually listened to all of this yet but it sounds interesting.

Agrippina
Agrippina-The history Chicks (They do go a bit off track sometimes and my teacher doesn't agree with all of their conclusions but it is interesting).  This can be found here!
Agrippina the younger-In Our Time: History which can also be found here!

Hope this helps! If I find any other interesting Ancient related resources I will put it up in this thread. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 02:52:12 pm »
+2
Hey,
I've got a few more things to add to the list :).
These are a bunch of podcasts-they are good if you don't want to read a textbook, and are a more aural learner, and they can be downloaded on your phone so you can listen to it anywhere. They can all be found on the iTunes podcast section but I have tried to include a link to their websites as well.
These don't contain a huge bunch of evidence but are more for content overviews:

Julio Claudians
The History of Rome by Mike Duncan (episodes 56-67) All of the episodes are between 20-30 minutes are really good/interesting. It's website is here! I've linked you the first podcast which is on the death of Augustus.
Emperors of Rome by Dr Rhiannon Evans and Matt Smith from La Trobe University. This has episodes on the four emperors and one on Agrippina. I think you'd be looking at episode 68-79. I haven't actually listened to all of this yet but it sounds interesting.

Agrippina
Agrippina-The history Chicks (They do go a bit off track sometimes and my teacher doesn't agree with all of their conclusions but it is interesting).  This can be found here!
Agrippina the younger-In Our Time: History which can also be found here!

Hope this helps! If I find any other interesting Ancient related resources I will put it up in this thread. :)
Wow, you're so helpful katie - have you ever considered becoming a moderator?

Oh wait...

;)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 10:34:11 am »
+3
Hey guys,

NESA has released a 2018 sample paper for Ancient here!. It isn’t a complete paper and has some questions for the new 2019 syllabus, but should have some questions you can work through to practise (and has a source booklet).

Hope this helps! :D

julz_roha

• Adventurer
  • Σ ! ⊂((・▽・))⊃
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:53:12 am »

Hello Atar Notes.
For Sparta, where can I find "La Mirage Spartiate" translated version?
I've tried searching the web but it was unsuccessful. 
 - Juliana