Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:20:44 pm

Author Topic: chemical engineering help  (Read 6328 times)  Share 

hard

chemical engineering help
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »
I've always wanted to be a chemical engineer but this yr i'm hating chemistry for some reason. So now i have my doubts and i just want to know from current chem eng students, is it hard to pass if you don't like vce chemistry? and how well do you have to do in vce methods to give an indication of whether you pass or not? thanks

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
Re: chemical engineering help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:30 pm »
Rather than basing it on whether you pass or fail, why not look at where your interests lie, since ultimately, you should pursue a degree and career that interests you. If you don't like chemistry, and don't think you are strong at maths, then most likely chemical engineering isn't for you.

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:55:45 pm »
From what I've been told on chat, chemical engineering != chemistry, so I don't know whether dis/liking VCE chemistry is extremely relevant.

Well, anyway, probably better if someone who actually does C.E. responds rather than me...

hard

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:04:55 am »
Rather than basing it on whether you pass or fail, why not look at where your interests lie, since ultimately, you should pursue a degree and career that interests you. If you don't like chemistry, and don't think you are strong at maths, then most likely chemical engineering isn't for you.
no i'm strong at math and i'm pretty good at chem but i don't like chem, i.e. in vce level, and i don't know if that means i'd hate university level chemistry.

squance

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:09:39 am »
I've always wanted to be a chemical engineer but this yr i'm hating chemistry for some reason. So now i have my doubts and i just want to know from current chem eng students, is it hard to pass if you don't like vce chemistry? and how well do you have to do in vce methods to give an indication of whether you pass or not? thanks

Hey.
I've recently changed my major from Software Eng to Chemical Eng and Im in second year eng. Hmm...Im actually doing first year chemistry this year so I don't know whether or not its hard to pass or not (apparently everyone who has done first year chem says its easy). and the first year chem is much more deeper than VCE chem. If you don't like VCE chem, then why do it at uni?

Apparently, in second year eng at melb uni, you only do one "chemistry-based" subject. The rest of the subjects are related to chemical engineering but it doesnt seem to need the knowledge of chemistry:
-Chemical Process Analysis 1 and 2
-Transport Processes
-Fluid Mechanics
(I think the subjects above are problem-solving based subjects)

My methods score was 33...one study score point above the minimum requirement of 32 at melb uni. For my maths grades at uni, I have gotten:
-Calculus 1 = 60
-Calculus 2 = 73 (I think)
-Linear Algebra = 82
I don't think your methods score correlates with how well you will go in uni maths.
Just work hard and consistently and you will pass :D (don't slack off or else you will fail or just barely pass..I know a lot of people who have been in this siutation..and its not good)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:12:00 am by squance »

hard

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »
no i'm strong at math and i'm pretty good at chem but i don't like chem, i.e. in vce level, and i don't know if that means i'd hate university level chemistry.
What do you 'hate' about vce chemistry?
cause i lost interest in it after i convinced myself that i'd rather waste time studying for my other 3 subjects since one would be in my 5/6 anyway.

and squance, thanks for that you're a legend.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 12:22:37 am »
I'm not sure how you would like it, because I liked VCE Chemistry as well as university chemistry.

However, I don't like the new course (VCE) as much as I liked it when I studied it (minus biology stuff and hippy chemistry sections). That said, in university you'll have to take an organic chemistry unit which involves you learning a shitload of bio-organic chemistry: carbohydrates, proteins and DNA galore (which was in the old VCE course too, on a much simpler level).

My first two years were mainly spent under the science faculty. I've only completed one unit from chemical engineering (and 2 others from electrical engineering, which taught the engineering maths, for some reason). The current chemical engineering unit I'm doing is more physics-based in my opinion.

The one I did previously was more commonsense rather than chemistry.