Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:34:26 pm

Author Topic: ranks  (Read 738 times)

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
ranks
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:20:31 am »
Hi all,

I've done research into how internal ranks impact your overall atar, and i've read all the articles posted on here, but im still a bit confused.
So if I'm ranked first in a subject, but i bomb out in the hsc exam and dont do that well, what happens then?

Im asking bc internally, I'm ranked 1st in 3 subjects, 2nd in 2 subjects, 3rd in 1 subject, and 4th in 1 subject, and I'm worried I'm not going to do well inthe exams bc i haven't studied that much... but i still want a 95+ atar

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
Re: ranks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:10:54 am »
+1
Hey,

Essentially your external mark is going to be exactly what you get on the final exam. So whatever mark you get (after NESA does all their scaling and adjusting becomes your external mark.

However your overall mark is not just your external mark but rather and average of your internal and external.

So because you're 1st; for those subjects your internal mark will be the mark of the person who comes first in the HSC (at your school). So if you got 75 in the exam that's your external mark but if the top mark is 93 that's your internal mark meaning your overall mark is 84.

Essentially this means your strong ranks will help with your internal marks being high (as long as the top marks overall are high), however there is still a reliance on your own performance. You've still got enough time to work hard and do well; especially with such strong ranks you've obviously got a good foundation from throughout the year.

Good luck!
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation