Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:40:54 pm

Author Topic: Courses with methods as a prereq  (Read 1605 times)  Share 

aspiringantelope

Courses with methods as a prereq
« on: February 07, 2019, 07:22:29 am »
Can you please list out a convincingly sufficient amount of degrees that have it as a “prerequisite”? There may be many disciplines that treat it as “assumed knowledge” but that is entirely different from the word “prerequisite”.

I’m quite confronted by this statement because almost all degrees up here do not require the HSC equivalents of 2U and MX1. I would like to see why this differs in Victoria.
Here.
Nearly all Science courses, all math courses, nearly all Engineering course and most Business courses need Math Methods with at least a study score of 25 :)
You're welcome.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Courses with methods as a prereq
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:45 am »
Here.
Nearly all Science courses, all math courses, nearly all Engineering course and most Business courses need Math Methods with at least a study score of 25 :)
You're welcome.
And just three/four categories out of 12+ if not 30+ is enough to argue most?

Fair enough in that somewhat disappointingly some Melbourne universities have this. Next time, actually linking some URLs (to degree outlines with the prerequisites, for example) to prove your point would provide some credibility. So you're adequately convinced that they intend to do math/engineering if they thinking of the lighter option?

"Keeping pathways open" is something I'm all for, but if that's your only grounds for giving advice it looks severely lacking. What if some people genuinely do not want these pathways? Not saying that OP is definitely one of those people, but it should be something you pay more thought about, before jumping to something that looks like nothing but "steadily held beliefs".

Not gonna continue this much further though since Aaron's already addressed the main point perfectly. I'm not a fan of derailing, but this issue irks me way too much after reading some of your recent posts.
Thanks for that, the uni course we're looking at doesn’t require a maths so it doesn’t matter too much if we do methods 3/4 or further 3/4. But I agree, doing methods 3/4 would be best as it does open a lot of options for courses.

However, we’ve decided that further 3/4 will allow for higher marks since it’s less challenging and there’s a lighter workload. My question is: should I do methods 1/2 for the rest of this year then do further 3/4 next year or drop methods now and move into further 1/2.
2019 -> Methods 1/2 or Further 1/2
2020 -> Further 3/4

Thanks again :D
I'd probably go with what Aaron said as a starting point tbh, because it's a safer thing to do. But what Sine said pretty much illustrates my concerns when people drop from maths advanced to standard in the (old syllabus) HSC. The overlap is there, but it isn't that strong and there's a lot of mildly unrelated content/ways of thinking required.

I'm usually a fan of doing what's right at the time, more or less because if you're committed to it, there tends to be options further down the road that help you should you regret something. (Might be harder, but at least it's there.) Probably just Further 1/2 imo as well :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:33:08 am by RuiAce »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 09:03:48 am »
And just three/four categories out of 12+ if not 30+ is enough to argue most?
Well using categories to illustrate your point is dishonest. Some categories are more subscribed to than others. You should know that in the larger universities such as UoM and Monash, science/business/engineering have many more people than, say, Music.
At least 4239 out of the 7397 offers UoM made first round this year required Methods as a prerequisite.

Now Melbourne is just a single example and as you look wider at other universities it is true that the use of the word 'most' here is wrong.
My point is simply that using categories to illustrate that isn't very valid. The number of courses that require methods is certainly higher than 3/30. Even if we consider only UoM courses in the overall victorian pool, the proportion is slightly less than 5/30. And that is only considering UoM...
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 09:25:47 am »
Well using categories to illustrate your point is dishonest. Some categories are more subscribed to than others. You should know that in the larger universities such as UoM and Monash, science/business/engineering have many more people than, say, Music.
At least 4239 out of the 7397 offers UoM made first round this year required Methods as a prerequisite.
I'm aware that some people including myself have a tendency of preferring those disciplines, especially when I look at UNSW. That would miss the point for me though, because that looks like a statistic for what ended up happening.

More offers being made towards such disciplines doesn't imply that all the other categories aren't there anymore. If they want to, they can still be studied. At UNSW, engineering and business are huge with the majors they have but same could be argued for arts. Without having debates about preference (and maybe the other stuff like employability/saturation), there's just as enough reason for other degrees to be equally popular.

It's true that some faculties end up being smaller and that's loosely correlated to popularity. These faculties could still have, in theory, been the larger ones nonetheless.