Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 06:02:30 pm

Author Topic: any post-VCE or university students/graduates still upset about their ATAR?  (Read 14051 times)  Share 

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
+4
bump...so it's been 1.5yrs since I made this post and been out of high school (not posting this for 'sympathy' or trying to get attention)
I still can't help but think about it all the time :'(

Even most of my uni classmates have super high ATARs (I haven't actually asked them ofc, but ik this is stalkerish but I've searched them up and stuff), and a lot of them are doing law doubles as well...(even though I never wanted to do law in the first place, but I was just using an example)
I'm also struggling in uni and I feel so worthless, and this is probably because I "failed" year 12 (even though I'm averaging better in uni than in high school, I'm still not where I'd ideally like to be)
(also what's great at my uni is that no one is judgemental if you do an arts degree, so I've never received judgement from others)

somewhat offtopic
Ik people say ATAR doesn't matter but looking at some jobs they do have an ATAR requirement and such...and also, it feels sort of offensive when people who say "ATAR doesn't matter" cos that sorta devalues the hard work of those who actually did work hard and do well in year 12?

again, it is completely my own fault for my VCE failures...
especially because I had no excuse...I went to a fairly good school, I didn't any severe personal problems that affected me during VCE

so this is to anyone who's currently still in high school (whether you're in year 12 or year 9):
please do not take your opportunities for granted...
you may regret it in the future
in the future, you may look to yourself and keep thinking 'what if?'

life is short, so try filling it up with happy memories
do you want to be that kid who looks back in 5 years time, upset and remorseful because you just didn't try harder?
don't stop working

strawbs
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
+5
bump...so it's been 1.5yrs since I made this post and been out of high school (not posting this for 'sympathy' or trying to get attention)
I still can't help but think about it all the time :'(

Even most of my uni classmates have super high ATARs (I haven't actually asked them ofc, but ik this is stalkerish but I've searched them up and stuff), and a lot of them are doing law doubles as well...(even though I never wanted to do law in the first place, but I was just using an example)
I'm also struggling in uni and I feel so worthless, and this is probably because I "failed" year 12 (even though I'm averaging better in uni than in high school, I'm still not where I'd ideally like to be)
(also what's great at my uni is that no one is judgemental if you do an arts degree, so I've never received judgement from others)

somewhat offtopic
Ik people say ATAR doesn't matter but looking at some jobs they do have an ATAR requirement and such...and also, it feels sort of offensive when people who say "ATAR doesn't matter" cos that sorta devalues the hard work of those who actually did work hard and do well in year 12?

again, it is completely my own fault for my VCE failures...
especially because I had no excuse...I went to a fairly good school, I didn't any severe personal problems that affected me during VCE

so this is to anyone who's currently still in high school (whether you're in year 12 or year 9):
please do not take your opportunities for granted...
you may regret it in the future
in the future, you may look to yourself and keep thinking 'what if?'

life is short, so try filling it up with happy memories
do you want to be that kid who looks back in 5 years time, upset and remorseful because you just didn't try harder?
don't stop working

strawbs
This is what people mean when they say it doesn't matter. Everything I want to reply to this post is written in the image below:

Strawbs, the ATAR doesn't mean shit about you. It's time to forgive yourself and celebrate doing well in uni - and double down and do even better, if that's what you want!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
(probably without intending to), I feel like this post sends the message (or at least implies or encourages the way of thinking) that ATAR is a very defining thing, such that one should just push the limits because they may have pervasive regrets in the next 5-10 years. ATARs doesn't equate to intelligence or your value as a person.

Yes, some people feel that way, but it shouldn't be that way, nor should other people be encouraged to feel like that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:33:22 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
(probably without intending to), I feel like this post sends the message (or at least implies or encourages the way of thinking) that ATAR is a very defining thing, such that one should just push the limits because they may have pervasive regrets in the next 5-10 years. ATARs doesn't equate to intelligence or your value as a person.
I get what you're saying.
For me, it does. Maybe not for others.

And yes, you're right, ATARs do not equate to intelligence or one's value as a person (however, I don't think high ATAR scorers are unintelligent, and yes, as you're implying, intelligence can be measured in many different ways other than high school academic results), but for me, it is what defines me. Other people may be defined by other aspects and successes in their life. I am ashamed to admit when I was younger, I would 'judge' people, but now I do not. I do judge myself, and I think we are all much more critical of ourselves

Apologies if it came out this way though.
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams